Proposal: VAN/OTT Eriksson/Ryan

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Benning, ‘Hey you know how you have that overpaid winger on your team for 7.250M for the next two years?’

Dorian, ‘Yeah’

Benning, ‘Would you like to make it 9.625M for the next two years?’
Pretty sure ottawa would save because Ryan is owed more than his cap hit while loui is the opposite (after his bonus is paid).

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
1. Ottawa
2. Pandemic

It would be a horrible hockey deal, but let's not pretend that the deal wouldn't save Melnyk millions of dollars.

If eriksson is traded, it's to a team trying to get out of financial commitment rather than a hockey deal.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ryan at 3.625 is probably a positive asset, or at least close to neutral. They could unload that contract without taking on a bad one in Eriksson IMO

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I've brought it up before elsewhere, and know it's unlikely, but here's a thought.

For a guy that has earned 60 million dollars in his career, and I'm imagining is seeing pretty clearly the writing on the wall in Vancouver, would you entertain the following:

Mutual Contract buyout: Only owed 5 million cash, to either ride a bus on the other side of the country from your family, or play for a team that has made it clear you are not wanted.

Sign a 2 year deal in Dallas: at 1.5 a year you actually have an alright thing. Eriksson is not out of the NHL bad, just 6 million dollar terrible. Re-coup 3 million of the 5 you lost, and play near your family, for a team that has fond memories, and is clearly a current contender.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Are they playing in Utica though?

Well it’s been rumoured if he isn’t moved he will be sent down so I just going by that. I don’t think he’s an NHL regular for Vancouver next season. If he was to block a trade it’s definitely a card that Benning could play.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ottawa saves real dollars in the deal so...

You keep saying that but do they really?

Ryan is owed 13M still and in the OP you have Ottawa paying 4.8 5.8 900k 900k which comes out to 12.4M, so yes its savings but just 600k and they get the worse player in Eriksson and have to pay money out for 4 years instead of 2. If Ottawa really wanted to save money they could just buy Ryan out themselves. They would pay 1.83 1.83 1.83 1.83 which is 7.3M and they owe him 2M signing bonus so 9.3M total which is 3.1M less than your deal and they lower the cash out in the first two years. You deal doesn't work out.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
As I’ve pointed out before, there is no escrow in the AHL. Loui makes 20% more if demoted. He’s in a very strong position.

Isn’t his salary owed this season around a million? Pretty sure he doesn’t want to ride the bus for that little increase.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's doable but I think it requires less retention on Ottawa's part. Maybe 33% instead of 50%. At 50% plus taking on Eriksson Ottawa are paying 12M over the next two years. They could buy Ryan out themselves for 11.3M.

I guess Vancouver subsequently buying Ryan out would mean Ottawa is on the hook for slightly less than 7.5M, but I still think they'd want less retention.

Come to think of it, it might make sense for Ottawa to buy out Eriksson as well. Those two moves combined would give them a massive cap charge for basically no up-front money.

I could see this happening. The Senators are going to want to cut expenses and getting out of Ryan's contract is the most obvious way to do it.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
You keep saying that but do they really?

Ryan is owed 13M still and in the OP you have Ottawa paying 4.8 5.8 900k 900k which comes out to 12.4M, so yes its savings but just 600k and they get the worse player in Eriksson and have to pay money out for 4 years instead of 2. If Ottawa really wanted to save money they could just buy Ryan out themselves. They would pay 1.83 1.83 1.83 1.83 which is 7.3M and they owe him 2M signing bonus so 9.3M total which is 3.1M less than your deal and they lower the cash out in the first two years. You deal doesn't work out.
The deal would be done after Canucks pay Eriksson’s signing bonus. 5million total over 2 years plus 7.5m = 12.5m vs 15mill which ryan is owed.

Edit: nvm I think you’re right. I didn’t know they save that much money by buying out his contract. The cost of buying him out would be 11.3m total. Maybe it could work if Ottawa retains 40%.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ottawa - using a total 9.625 cap hit to acquire eriksson
Vancouver - using a 3.625 cap hit on Ryan

nothing else going the sens way just the hope than the owner is so cheap he will bail them out of cap hell because of $$$?

lol. at least send the nucks demko/virtanen or a 2nd

awful trade. keep dramin' nucks fans!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ryan at 3.625 is probably a positive asset, or at least close to neutral. They could unload that contract without taking on a bad one in Eriksson IMO

please dont make sense when the nucks are trying to get rid of their garbage contract!

the sens could do a lot better than eriksson@6mil for Ryan at 50%

Reactions: KevinRedkey

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Imo Loui says no to a trade to Ottawa. Loui has all the control, and has Benning by the short and curlies.
Writing is on the wall for Little things. If he turns down a deal, he will be festering in Utica. I think he would accept any deal that keeps him in the NHL.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Ryan was making 3.75M in cap hit and 2.75M in real dollars next season there would be significant interest.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If he does, he'll be told to get ready for Utica. So it's his choice, really. We're not buying him out. So if he wants to play for a NHL team. He accepts whatever trade we can make work.
I’d love Loui to get traded. But the AHL might not even have a season, and there is no escrow in the A too, so Loui would be collecting his full salary to sit at home. Clearly Benning has tried to trade Loui, but he can’t find a fit. If he could then he wouldn’t have told Loui’s agent to try and find a trade partner that Loui will agree to.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I’d love Loui to get traded. But the AHL might not even have a season, and there is no escrow in the A too, so Loui would be collecting his full salary to sit at home. Clearly Benning has tried to trade Loui, but he can’t find a fit. If he could then he wouldn’t have told Loui’s agent to try and find a trade partner that Loui will agree to.
I agree... seems like last resort to have the players agent hunt out a new home. And for the life of me cannot recall that ever panning out. Sure there could be teams who’d take him in but to make an actual deal is a whole other ordeal. The $6M x 2 more years is a death trap for flat cap/pandemic. Iffff (big if) a deal gets sorted out it will be a garbage in/garbage out or Canucks will have to give up an arm and a leg.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I agree... seems like last resort to have the players agent hunt out a new home. And for the life of me cannot recall that ever panning out. Sure there could be teams who’d take him in but to make an actual deal is a whole other ordeal. The $6M x 2 more years is a death trap for flat cap/pandemic. Iffff (big if) a deal gets sorted out it will be a garbage in/garbage out or Canucks will have to give up an arm and a leg.
When the 21-22 season ends, there will be a lot of Canuck fans celebrating Loui is done, because there is just no way he’s traded. Unless, like you point out, it’s fir another team’s crappy contract. And what’s the point if that? M

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone realize the sens would need another 4m per player to replace Ryan on top of the Loui contract? So add $8m to the buyouts, retention, whatever then figure out what it costs Vancouver in assets to account for that.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
OP here, based on the comments here I agree that there should a decent add on vancouver's side for this trade to make sense.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Does anyone realize the sens would need another 4m per player to replace Ryan on top of the Loui contract? So add $8m to the buyouts, retention, whatever then figure out what it costs Vancouver in assets to account for that.
No, I have to admit I didn't realize there was a rule requiring every team to sign a forward for $4M whenever a forward on the team leaves for any reason. Does that mean we'll need to do the same when Eriksson leaves? This is getting complicated.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad