Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
To Van:
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)

To Ott:
Loui Eriksson

Bobby Ryan would then be subsequently bought out by Van

1) In terms of the cap hit if Vancouver keeps Eriksson vs. my proposal it would look like:

2020| 2021 | 2022 | 2023
6 mil 6 mil 0 0 (With Eriksson)
1.8 mil 1.8 mil 900k 900k (With Trade)

The cap savings, to me, in the first two years are TOTALLY worth the measly 900k in years 3 and 4. Also, Vancouver have 60-70 million in cap space in those years, 900k would be tiny.

2) In terms of real dollars paid by Melnyk if they keep Ryan vs. the trade:

2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023
7.25m 7.25m 0 0 (With Ryan)
4.8m 5.8m 900k 900k (With Trade)

The saving in real dollars, to me, is totally worth it especially with how cash strapped Melnyk likely is. Furthermore, I'd argue Eriksson is the better player on Ottawa's roster.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo Loui says no to a trade to Ottawa. Loui has all the control, and has Benning by the short and curlies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Eriksson will never play again in the NHL, at least Bobby Ryan can still play so why would Ottawa do this?

They won’t, and they’re sure as hell not retaining 50% of Ryan’s contract. That’s laughable.

Eriksson, Baertschi/Sutter for Ryan is more realistic. Vancouver saves cap space, and Ottawa doesn’t retain. Not saying that deal would happen, but it has a better chance of happening than the original proposal.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As I’ve pointed out before, there is no escrow in the AHL. Loui makes 20% more if demoted. He’s in a very strong position.

Ya that potential $200k will really strong arm the Canucks. If Loui wants to continue his NHL career his agent will work with the Canucks to find a solution. He’s got no leverage at all.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m sure Loui doesn’t want to play in the AHL. He’d do everything in his power to stay in the NHL, 20% or not
As a Canuck’s fan, I hope you’re right. But 20% is a lot, and there might not even be an AHL season coming up. So Loui, if demoted, would be making his full salary (no escrow) while sitting at home. I really think we (Canucks) are stuck with Loui, and his anchor contract, for the full term.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ya that potential $200k will really strong arm the Canucks. If Loui wants to continue his NHL career his agent will work with the Canucks to find a solution. He’s got no leverage at all.
Over the two years left on Loui’s contract 20% will save him 1 million.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This topic has come up often and it needs to be put to bed for good. Sens have no problem keeping Ryan and as others have said would probably prefer to.

Attach Eriksson to a piece you don't want to give up and it's a different topic, but still unlikely. Gaudette, MacEwen, etc.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Over the two years left on Loui’s contract 20% will save him 1 million.

I fully expect the Canucks to buy him out after next season if he’s still around and unmovable. But for next season, sending him and his $1M salary to the AHL is definitely a threat the Canucks can make if Eriksson and his agent start poopooing trade destinations.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I fully expect the Canucks to buy him out after next season if he’s still around and unmovable. But for next season, sending him and his $1M salary to the AHL is definitely a threat the Canucks can make if Eriksson and his agent start poopooing trade destinations.
I think all us Csnuck’s fans want to see Loui gone. But there is no threat in sending Loui to the AHL, when that league might not even have a season. Benning signed a contract with Loui that is really bad, and near impossible to get leverage over Loui on.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think all us Csnuck’s fans want to see Loui gone. But there is no threat in sending Loui to the AHL, when that league might not even have a season. Benning signed a contract with Loui that is really bad, and near impossible to get leverage over Loui on.

Eriksson wants to play, he’s said numerous times the past year he still feels he’s an NHL player. All I’m saying is if he wants to continue his NHL career his agent will work with the Canucks to find a new team, not start making trade demands. The Canucks have no reason to play him in the NHL if they feel he’s not a fit going forward.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
No real reason for Ott to do this, at this point.
Ryan and Ott ride out the 2 years with him as vet presence leading transition to next Sens era. Maybe Ryan moves to contender at '22 TDL

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Benning, ‘Hey you know how you have that overpaid winger on your team for 7.250M for the next two years?’

Dorian, ‘Yeah’

Benning, ‘Would you like to make it 9.625M for the next two years?’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->