Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Canucks trade F Alex Burrows to OTT for F Jonathan Dahlén

Haagen Dazs

Mar 23, 2016
I watched every game Dahlen played last year in the playoffs for Timra, he should have been a first rounder last season, he fell due to his speed but he makes up for it with his shiftiness and processing speed. If his development has stagnated there was certainly no indication of it at the WJC. The trade is utterly preposterous on paper, Benning dismantled Dorian.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Jonathan+Dahlen+nzN7Xx-egM3m.jpg

I can only think 8 months of staring at this was all Dorion could handle.

Dude looks like the lovechild of Jason Spezza and Sam Gagner.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Just listened to Craig Button on 1040..He believes that Dahlen could be a top 6..Compares him to a Mike Cammallari...(he also brought up the fact that Benning stole Granlund from Calgary..several times).

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
He's just 19 and his dad is 6'2. Wouldn't be surprised if he grew a bit more.

But frankly I don't care, height is not an impediment if the skill is there. He'll just need to get a bit thicker.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
time for trade jim to right his wrongdoings and put this ship right back on before a newer gm steps in to take his place. *wink wink*

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

But frankly I don't care, height is not an impediment if the skill is there. He'll just need to get a bit thicker.

Wow, didn't take much to turn this crowd -- a reasonable prospect for a declining (and soon to be gone asset). Yes hard not to really like it and exactly what many of us have been clamouring for but I'm not letting Benning off the hook. Last year's TDL implosion and so many 2nd round pick giveaways has put the team's rebuild on the rocks -- and one decent possible second- or third line prospect won't get me to give in. Benning still has to go. Don't be fleeced just because Dorion became Gollum.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think he was 5'11.25 in his draft eligible year. It's basically not anything to worry about.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
I watched every game Dahlen played last year in the playoffs for Timra, he should have been a first rounder last season, he fell due to his speed but he makes up for it with his shiftiness and processing speed. If his development has stagnated there was certainly no indication of it at the WJC. The trade is utterly preposterous on paper, Benning dismantled Dorian.

erat for forsberg 2.0

or Stojanov for Naslund?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Late to the discussion but I want to say that it's sad to see Burrows go, but this is a good trade. Dahlen is the typical high 2nd round pick that he was. Not a sure fire 1st round pick who some had as a late first round pick. And given the perception of the 2017 draft, the trade amounts to be better than a high 2nd round pick in this round's draft.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It's strange. Last Summer Burrows was apparently approached by Benning to waive his NTC and agreed, then no deal was done. Considering the return and subsequent contract Ottawa wanted Burrows very badly. Why wasn't this done last Summer?

I wonder if Burrows has become Ottawa's ambassador to Sweden? There is enough time for him to lobby before the deadline.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
It's strange. Last Summer Burrows was apparently approached by Benning to waive his NTC and agreed, then no deal was done. Considering the return and subsequent contract Ottawa wanted Burrows very badly. Why wasn't this done last Summer?

I wonder if Burrows has become Ottawa's ambassador to Sweden? There is enough time for him to lobby before the deadline.

Because Burrows sucked last season, but has shown he can be an okay 3rd line and PK guy this season?

Credit to Horvat, he's made Burrows look like an NHLer this year and also pumped his tires at the Allstar game too.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Good trade. To get a darn good prospect for an aging bottom 6 player is doing a nice job.

See I can be nice.

Now Benning needs to do this 3 or 4 more times in a row to maybe earn back some respect.

Going to miss Burr. Good luck in nations capital.

I don't understand the Sens. They seem to be in a bit of a panic to hold onto a spot or something. They can't believe they have a team that is going far in the playoffs right?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Because Burrows sucked last season, but has shown he can be an okay 3rd line and PK guy this season?

Credit to Horvat, he's made Burrows look like an NHLer this year and also pumped his tires at the Allstar game too.

Whatd he say about Burr at the allstar game??

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
They were saying Burrows can drive around 90 minutes to where he grew up. Probably got a lot of family in the region to help with the kids, etc.
Yeah, Burrows is from the western edge of the Montreal region – before you get to the Island of Montreal – and it is significantly closer to Ottawa than driving into the city proper, both because of distance and traffic. We go to his area quite often because of friends in two of the neighboring suburbs (I have spent an inordinate amount of time in the shopping mall that Burrows undoubtedly spent his formative years in, heh), and it's definitely a simpler ride from Ottawa.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Whatd he say about Burr at the allstar game??

Can't find the link to the audio, but:

In Dorion's interview today [yesterday] he cited a quote that Horvat gave at the All Star Game about how Burrows was a big part of his development this year.
....He said there's value in having Burrows around Chabot and Brown in the future.

Edit - Around the 2.20 mark in this video..

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dorion is SUPER high on Burrows. Gonna miss that guy :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad