Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYR] Canucks acquire 4th Round Pick in 2023 for Tyler Motte

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Motte told the canucks he was looking for big bucks this summer and not signing here...

Canucks got a 4th for him. Small chance a 4th makes the big club... but any chance is better than none.

Bieksa - 5h round
Cooke - 6th round
Walker - 5th
Aucoin - 5th
Lidster - 7th
  • Jannik Hansen (9th round, 2004)
  • Brent Sopel (6th round, 1995)
  • Gino Odjick (5th round, 1990)
  • Dixon Ward (7th round, 1988)
  • Garry Valk (6th round, 1987)
  • Robert Kron (5th round, 1985)
  • Dave Lowry (6th round, 1983)
  • Harold Snepsts (4th round, 1974)

that's depressing. we haven't drafted a truly useful player outside the top 100 since before connor bedard was born

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He won't get big bucks. Teams aren't handing out massive contracts to 4th liners anymore. All the salaries are tied up in a few top tier players on each team and defensemen. I'll say he gets around 1.75 million a season from a bottom feeder or maybe 1.25 from a contender.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think what Motte gets paid is going to get paid is going to correlate to how he plays for the Rangers for the rest of the season and playoffs. If he shows that he's a contributor in multiple environments/systems it'll convince some teams he's legit and not just a player that suited Vancouver. I reckon he'll go for $1.75-2.5m per season depending on that performance.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He won't get big bucks. Teams aren't handing out massive contracts to 4th liners anymore.
loui-meme.png

Reactions: Indiana

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
And a sentimentalist, my dear Darlington, is a man who sees an absurd value in everything and doesn’t know the market price of any single thing. (Wilde)
"As for Ryan and Zach, we are extremely excited to add their skill, their experience and their character to what we feel is already a pretty promising roster." (Wild)

Nov 1, 2011
Motte hasn't done much in NYR.

8 games played
0 points

Maybe he comes back for under $2M. Otherwise, Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

Why are you even considering $2m.

A guy like Motte needs to be in under $1.5m or his job needs to go to a cheaper guy.

We have a built-in cap problem so signing guys, other than guys in key positions, needs to be done at below market or we need to compromise and get a cheaper guy.

Reactions: mossey3535

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
A 4th basically has 2% chance of becoming what Motte is today.

0.5% chance of tirning into a better player. Why was he traded again, I thought he had a net positive affect on the team?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
How many percent of 4th line picks end up being players with long NHL careers in a meaningful spot in the depth chart?
In the region of 10%. You said a 2% chance of equalling Motte and 0.5% chance of being better.

Just from a decade of drafts-- 300 4th-round picks in total-- which, according to you, ought to yield only one or two players who've been better than 4th-liner Motte. I'm not going to list any of the guys where it could be arguable, just the ones that are completely undeniable:

2017: Batherson, Swayman
2016: Colton
2015: none unarguably better
2014: Toews, Arviddson, Heinen, Bunting, Shesterkin
2013: Saros, Copp, Graves (same draft as Motte who was also a 4th-round pick)
2012: Anderson, Slavin
2011: Pageau, Gaudreau
2010: Donskoi, Grubauer
2009: Savard, Smith, Ekholm, Vatanen, Chiarot
2008: Holtby, Brodie, Nyqvist

I was conservative with that list and in the interest of sparing myself time I might've even missed a couple of obvious guys.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
In the region of 10%. You said a 2% chance of equalling Motte and 0.5% chance of being better.

Just from a decade of drafts-- 300 4th-round picks in total-- which, according to you, ought to yield only one or two players who've been better than 4th-liner Motte. I'm not going to list any of the guys where it could be arguable, just the ones that are completely undeniable:

I was conservative with that list and in the interest of sparing myself time I might've even missed a couple of obvious guys.
So, out of 300+ players, only about 10 turned into real impact players during a whole decade.

I might've over-estimated it to make my point, but I'm still not far off.

Out of these, only about 3-4 turned into top players on a playoff level team - and goalies are a gamble as usual.

Not sure why it's much easier to predict skaters' talent level, as opposed to goaltenders'.

Reactions: Indiana

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

This is quite a takedown of Berglund. And nothing malicious, just facts.

Paying 4th liners mid-money and mid-term is what typified the Benning era. It's a massively inefficient way to use cap space, and I still don't understand why people are advocating for it.

You can find cheap fill-in players at any time. Stack up the lottery tickets and try to find a player from the draft.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Obviously a 4th rounder isn't much value, but keeping Motte for these last 20 meaningless games would have been completely valueless. I also think there is some value in opening up an opportunity for Lockwood in a similar role to see if he can hang.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I like Lockwood better + he's RH

Highmore can fill in that relentless energy player that Motte provided at a cheaper contract, is 1 year younger, and can produce the same offensive production.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I like Lockwood better + he's RH

Highmore can fill in that relentless energy player that Motte provided at a cheaper contract, is 1 year younger, and can produce the same offensive production.
I noticed Lockwood defensively last night, his speed and stamina are truly exceptional and seem to allow him to backcheck and pressure the puck better than Motte. But it was against Arizona so I'm not willing to draw too many conclusions from it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
motte had a less than 2% chance of being on the team in september
This is the key point. Unlike Benning Allvin is A)not gonna allocate cap poorly when it's obvious and B) not retain some asset value when it's clear that staying would only mean 2 months of Motte and no pick.

In the last 30 yrs the Canucks drafted Bieksa Hansen Aucoin Cooke Sopel M. Brown Hutton Forsling Gaudette Rathbone from the 4th and beyond and could have drafted Tanev Stecher Garrison Beagle Roussel and Burrows players who went undrafted and became Canucks with a 4th rounder.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Motte with 0 goals 0 assists 0 points in 9 games with the Rangers.

Another foundational Canuck player ... like Sutter........

Hope he recovers quick from any injury... He needs to be healthy if he hopes to get any kind of a decent raise....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad