Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYR] Canucks acquire 4th Round Pick in 2023 for Tyler Motte

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A real tough break for Motte.....looking like a shoulder injury to me which could keep him out for quite awhile.

Did nothing offensively in N.Y., but emerged a key guy on their PK. Hard not to pull for this player, who's had a challenging couple of years with injuries.

But probably one of the reasons the Canucks deemed him expendable, and decided they would go with Lockwood as a younger and cheaper alternative.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He was the one reason to slightly cheer for the NYR in the playoffs. Now that's gone for me

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
So, out of 300+ players, only about 10 turned into real impact players during a whole decade.

I might've over-estimated it to make my point, but I'm still not far off.

Out of these, only about 3-4 turned into top players on a playoff level team - and goalies are a gamble as usual.

Not sure why it's much easier to predict skaters' talent level, as opposed to goaltenders'.
You were very far off, by several multiples.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Trading Motte for a pick was the bare minimum JR/PA needed to do at the deadline. The 4th round pick might not amount to much, but there was zero value to keeping Motte.

I wish him well and hope his injury isn't serious, but this just underscores why you can't sign this guy for money and term. He's 27 and has never once played a full NHL season.

All in all, still not convinced he's more than a high quality 4th line winger once you level out the ups and downs of his career. He's the type of player every good team needs, but also one that shouldn't be overpaid for what he brings to the table.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Motte with his history had the opportunity to secure the bank. I have no idea if he can’t come back how he's not considered a Ferland type risk for a team. I hope he can come back but sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Loved Motte, but getting a 4th was better than having a fist full of nothing in the Fall.
And the injury, albeit a hockey injury, is just the kind of thing you fear for him going forward... and one reason why you don't like to invest money and term on a guy like him going forward.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
10 out of over 300 4th round picks, became noticeable players in the NHL.
I won't bother around the semantics of "noticeable." You said 0.5% chance of a 4th-rounder exceeding Motte; I showed you 25 players (8.3% of the 4th-rounders from a decade's worth of drafts) that were obviously better and there were quite a few others that have probably been better. Tthe difference between 0.5% and something around 10% is huge.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I won't bother around the semantics of "noticeable." You said 0.5% chance of a 4th-rounder exceeding Motte; I showed you 25 players (8.3% of the 4th-rounders from a decade's worth of drafts) that were obviously better and there were quite a few others that have probably been better. Tthe difference between 0.5% and something around 10% is huge.
Let's agree to disagree that all of those were better. 👌

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad