Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust (Mod Warning post #890)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Please explain why.

Goaltending still has the potential to be as good as it was last season.

Defense is a bit downgraded but younger.

Offense hasn't changed much, Kassian wasn't a big part of the team due to all the injuries he had. If Baertschi can step into a top 6 role effectively the Canucks could be better offensively.

Sharks haven't improved, Oilers still have unproven goalies and a patchwork defense to along with a forward group that has proven to be defensively inept. Flames made a step forward on paper, but are still young and I'm not sold on their offensive depth and goaltending. If Lucic finds his game the Kings could be a force but that's a big if, I really don't think the Kings are as good as people make them out to be anymore. Coyotes are still a mess.

The Canucks will still be a team in the hunt for the playoffs and in the mix with teams like the Flames, Sharks, and Kings.

The Kings and Sharks will be in the playoffs next year. They're underlying numbers belied their win/loss ratio. They will bounce back. Overall, SJS fixed two key holes by signing Martin and trading for Jones. LA swapped Williams for Lucic, essentially, but were much better than their record.

VAN didn't improve. Are arguably worse. They're in tough next year.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Someone ****ing fire this ****ing clown.

**** you Benning.

What an incredibly ****** trade. As if one Dorsett wasn't enough.

What a pointless waste of an asset with potential.

God I miss Gillis.

realist99

May 3, 2010
The only thing that makes sense is behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about. The silence from the Canucks (and the press) at the end of the year and playoffs regarding Kassian speaks loudly.

I still think if a 24 year old is going to crash and burn, you let it happen on your watch, especially if you are rebuilding.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
he wont dissapoint because nothing is expected.

not true

official pic to represent canucks fans this offseason:
2K1LHuy.jpg

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Please explain why.

Goaltending still has the potential to be as good as it was last season.

Defense is a bit downgraded but younger.

Offense hasn't changed much, Kassian wasn't a big part of the team due to all the injuries he had. If Baertschi can step into a top 6 role effectively the Canucks could be better offensively.

Sharks haven't improved, Oilers still have unproven goalies and a patchwork defense to along with a forward group that has proven to be defensively inept. Flames made a step forward on paper, but are still young and I'm not sold on their offensive depth and goaltending. If Lucic finds his game the Kings could be a force but that's a big if, I really don't think the Kings are as good as people make them out to be anymore. Coyotes are still a mess.

The Canucks will still be a team in the hunt for the playoffs and in the mix with teams like the Flames, Sharks, and Kings.

when you have to say "the defence, offence and goaltending has the potential to be as good as before", what that means is "if we get really lucky, we didn't get worse". we got worse. all of those teams will probably perform anywhere from a bit to a lot better than last year

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Please explain why.

Goaltending still has the potential to be as good as it was last season. And if Markstrom flops like he has before at the NHL level and/or Miller gets hurt, we're screwed.

Defense is a bit downgraded but younger. And was completely and utterly demolished in the playoffs last year. We're already bad in that area and now we have zero strength back there

Offense hasn't changed much, Kassian wasn't a big part of the team due to all the injuries he had. If Baertschi can step into a top 6 role effectively the Canucks could be better offensively. Okay, I'll go along with that.

Sharks haven't improved, Oilers still have unproven goalies and a patchwork defense to along with a forward group that has proven to be defensively inept. Flames made a step forward on paper, but are still young and I'm not sold on their offensive depth and goaltending. If Lucic finds his game the Kings could be a force but that's a big if, I really don't think the Kings are as good as people make them out to be anymore. Coyotes are still a mess. Sharks have improved slightly. Oilers added freakin' McDavid, Griffin Reinhart, Sekera, Talbot and now have an experienced NHL coach along with non-idiotic management for the first time in a decade. They'll be a lot better. Flames added Dougie Hamilton, Frolik, and have a bumper crop of young stars still coming up. They'll still be better. Kings? Lucic found another home with an NHL darling team that'll let him run around doing whatever he wants without repercussions, and we're losing toughness. Coyotes are still crap, I'll give you that.

We're screwed. Wish I could say otherwise.

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Someone ****ing fire this ****ing clown.

**** you Benning.

What an incredibly ****** trade. As if one Dorsett wasn't enough.

What a pointless waste of an asset with potential.

God I miss Gillis.

relax buddy...the players the canucks were all overrated and Gillis is the reason why Benning couldn't do much.

The team should have been retooled/build for the future when they got eliminated against LA...but Gillis refused to do much and looked for band-aid solution.

I said last season, Kassian wouldn't return a heck of a lot... but the posters here kept screaming about his potential and the value he had. This is the reality...the fans overrated the rosters, Gillis outbid against himself by resigning the same players with NTC's because he didn't want "screw up chemistry" and he gave the sedins huge contract.

The rebuild is gonna last a while (3 - 5 years)... hopefully they don't ruin it this time and build properly.

JoeMc

Sep 22, 2013
Don't understand why people are so upset. Its not like Kassian was or ever was going to be a big part of this team. You'd think Horvat or Virtanan had just been traded. :speechles

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Benning on 1040: Kassian wasn't where he needed to be maturity-wise and didn't have a spot on the team. Prust will bring toughness for younger players.

Completely ignored the "getting younger" argument

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
As a reminder:

Discussion of wanting to follow another team will be viewed as trolling the Canucks forum. Canucks fans are entitled to their opinions, positive or negative, but actively rooting against the team will not be allowed on the Canucks forum per the site rules.

This will not be reminded again.

Opinions are fine, but the purpose of this board is to have a haven for Canucks fans. Actively rooting against the Canucks is against the rules, and it will be considered trolling.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The return is underwhelming, but some of you are overrating Kassian. He hasn't done much as a Canuck aside from showing flashes of brilliance here and there.

It's not like we didn't give him a chance. Jack Adams winner AV, Stanley Cup winner Torts and WD all did not see him as a top 6 player like some of you are thinking.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
@VanCanucks: Derek Dorsett sent Benning a text saying "Thank You" for the Prust signing. #Canucks

I hate this team

Ugh. :help:

Kind of interesting though, what that implies about Dorsett's opinion of Kassian...:whaaa?:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The return is underwhelming, but some of you are overrating Kassian. He hasn't done much as a Canuck aside from showing flashes of brilliance here and there.

It's not like we didn't give him a chance. Jack Adams winner AV, Stanley Cup winner Torts and WD all did not see him as a top 6 player like some of you are thinking.

Actually Kassian thrived under Torts. And as for Willie, well he really hasn't proven himself as a NHL coach yet (let's see if he can adapt learn from this past season).

Interwebuserguy

Aug 2, 2005
I'm shocked at some of the reactions here. Kassian is a problem character guy and has a poor work ethic. Benning and linden have mostly been about getting rid of problem guys and bringing in good character guys. I personally agree with this strategy. In this case it might have been a bit of addition by subtraction coupled with a much needed tough gritty acquisition.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Ugh. :help:

Kind of interesting though, what that implies about Dorsett's opinion of Kassian...:whaaa?:

thats why it bothers me. throwing a guy under the bus after he leaves because you weren't good enough to influence him positively is not a leadership quality

"haha, i give up on this guy. get out of here idiot" doesn't strike me as a "culture carrier" that we want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad