Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah but he's an AHLer with $3.3 cap hit and another year left on the deal. That's gonna be a big negatory good buddy from any sensible gm unless Benning adds a sweetener.

Perhaps they have plans to spend big in free agency? Otherwise they are rebuilding and aren't a poor team.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
this is stupid. This is pretty much the sunk cost fallacy. It’s like playing a hand of hold em, betting big on the turn, not making your hand knowing your opponent has a hand and pushing all in anyway.

play smart and tight, and save your chips for when you need them.

I have been saying this all year. Hell is there that much of a gap between Baertschi and Toffoli?
Is there that much of a gap between Toffoli and Baertchi? Yes, yes there is. Anymore questions?

Reactions: Sneezy

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Have you heard of being pot committed? No offense but I think you would be pretty easy to play against. Entirely predictable.

This isn't a game of poker though where you can bluff your way to a win. If the canucks aren't good enough to compete for a cup this year Benning has wasted assets that could help down the line.

That said if everything goes right the canucks could go on a run this year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Have you heard of being pot committed? No offense but I think you would be pretty easy to play against. Entirely predictable.

HAHAHAHAHA. I don't claim to be some poker star but again this isn't trying to bluff your way out of something. this is flat out you know your are beat.

Is there that much of a gap between Toffoli and Baertchi? Yes, yes there is. Anymore questions?

I really don't think there is. Again Toffoli is the better player, but you have Sven who is a good two way player putting up an NHL career ave of about .46 pts per game. Toffoli putting up a wopping .56 and that includes the years he was much more offensive. I am sure it would be close if we looked at the last few years. For the price we paid I would rather have Bearstchi.

Just to be clear this isn't to say Tofolli isn't better.

Reactions: I am toxic

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I asked the neural network text predictor Transformer about Toffoli. Here is what it had to say:

Tyler Toffoli is having his best season at his position. He leads the League in scoring with a team-high 24 goals and 59 points. He has only had one 11-game point streak this year, which has probably helped his spot in the Calder Trophy race, but he has been on a similar level of play to last year.

Toffoli hasn't shown he can score while skating with Cody Hodgson and Jannik Hansen, however. When Toffoli was on the ice last season, Hansen scored 27 goals. When Toffoli and Hansen were together, that number dropped to 27. If Toffoli can get going in the Calder Trophy race and with the top six forwards in the Pacific Division, he could get his 15th

Very interesting. But what about Tyler Madden?

Tyler Madden is a second-year professional who will also need to develop a sharper overall body of work. If he can do that in Detroit he could be a bargain low-cost backup who can contribute in the AHL.

Projected Role:

What Madden was doing in his three-game NHL stint was very much like what he will be doing in the AHL. He was likely doing some situational duties while the team was on the road. In his four regular season appearances he finished with a 3-2-1 record and a .901 save percentage. He also stopped 20 of 22 shots for the Red Wings in the team's first round series against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Hmm, okay. I didn't realize he was a goalie. I'd have to say this trade is looking slightly better in light of these insights. But it's a good plan to not play Toffoli on the same line as Hansen and Hodgson.

Reactions: jd22

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I asked the neural network text predictor Transformer about Toffoli. Here is what it had to say:

Hmm, okay. I didn't realize he was a goalie. I'd have to say this trade is looking slightly better in light of these insights. But it's a good plan to not play Toffoli on the same line as Hansen and Hodgson.

What the hell did I just read? :laugh:

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Ok, if this is mocking the absurdity of contesting a logical fallacy with a poker term, brilliant.

If not, then...? Still, enjoyable read.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

I've now been occupying my time with this for the last hour. Thanks.

Reactions: I am toxic

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

So it sounds like as of now we will be losing Tanev Stetcher and Markstrom, in part to sign Toffoli, does this change anyone's thought on the price paid or are you still happy as long as he is resigned?

Reactions: vanuck

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

So it sounds like as of now we will be losing Tanev Stetcher and Markstrom, in part to sign Toffoli, does this change anyone's thought on the price paid or are you still happy as long as he is resigned?

giphy.gif

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This isn't a game of poker though where you can bluff your way to a win. If the canucks aren't good enough to compete for a cup this year Benning has wasted assets that could help down the line.

That said if everything goes right the canucks could go on a run this year.

Ya and I wasn't the one who used the poker analogy in the first place.

I do think the Canucks could go on a run this year as well.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Well, no. It sounds like a guy with a history of inaccurate predictions said that's what will happen. You're being uncritical about that part because he's saying something you want to believe. The team won't lose three separate players in order to sign one. I doubt very much the Canucks fail to resign both of Tanev and Markstrom.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well, no. It sounds like a guy with a history of inaccurate predictions said that's what will happen. You're being uncritical about that part because he's saying something you want to believe. The team won't lose three separate players in order to sign one. I doubt very much the Canucks fail to resign both of Tanev and Markstrom.

I didn't give an opinion on it so I don't know how I am being critical...

I just asked if as per this tweet, we lose these guys to sign Toffoli does it change your perception of the trade? Hell I will simplify it for you. If we lose 2 of the three does this change anything for?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

I just asked if as per this tweet, we lose these guys to sign Toffoli does it change your perception of the trade? Hell I will simplify it for you. If we lose 2 of the three does this change anything for?

If Markstrom won’t sign for less than 5 years, while Tanev refuses to sign for less than 4 years, and it means we sign Tyler Toffoli instead, it makes me like the Toffoli trade more.

Based on the market for top 6 forwards, I still don’t view the Toffoli trade as some kind of ridiculous overpayment. It’s a steep price to pay, for a guy that is playing on our 1st line, that could end up making a major impact down the stretch.

I like the Toffoli addition more than any other move a Pacific division team made to compete in the playoffs.

Reactions: racerjoe

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I don't know. It might. Like it's hard to say without knowing the contract details for all players involved.

Reactions: racerjoe

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
did anyone else notice someone on the canucks bench putting white tape around the puck after toffoli scored his first goal?

am i wrong or does that not seem like something you'd do for any old random rental right? feel like the team thinks there's a future for him here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad