Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
And then what?
you let him walk. Unless he signs a 4mill x3 yr deal and D and Goal are looked after first with a miracle of Baertschi Eriksson Sutter all off the books.

Priorities should be
1- unloading Eriksson Sutter Baertschi
2 - top4 defenseman that can defend
3- goal
4- top6 winger

the rest can be filled during the season with MacEwen Brisebois Rafferty Lind Motte etc. as well as the vets

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Looks they did try to move Baertschi in the Toffoli trade:

Not surprising.

Zach Bogosian just walked away from $1.9mil by refusing to play in the AHL. Is there any chance Baertschi does the same, then tries to sign an NHL deal elsewhere? Probably not, but if he is worried 2 full years in the AHL could really hurt his future, it might be something he considers...

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not surprising.

Zach Bogosian just walked away from $1.9mil by refusing to play in the AHL. Is there any chance Baertschi does the same, then tries to sign an NHL deal elsewhere? Probably not, but if he is worried 2 full years in the AHL could really hurt his future, it might be something he considers...

He only has one year on his deal left. I guess it's a possibility, but he appears to be trying to make the best of it. I think we are stuck him. Tough to move some of these contracts, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He only has one year on his deal left. I guess it's a possibility, but he appears to be trying to make the best of it. I think we are stuck with that contract next year. Tough to move some of these contracts, no doubt about it.
He couldn't stay healthy. If he did, he certainly looked like a top 6 forward. Just bad luck (it happens). A lesser example would be Rodin.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Hello Mr. GM.

Please take Bae.

No.

Why?

Because why would I want an AHL'er?

He's an NHL'er. Promise.

Umm.. ok Jim. I'm hanging up now.

I'd rather have Eriksson in the AHL and Baertschi on Bo's wing.
At least they have chemistry and I don't actually think Baertschi is terrible.

Canucks just tanked Baertschi's value early this season. IMO he was waived too early.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
This is insane. Toffoli is a 43 point/82 game player over the past 4 seasons. Boeser is 5 years younger and has averaged 67 points/82 games to start his career.
Thing is though, Toffoli has actually been able to play a full 82 games in multiple seasons while doing so in the Western Conference on a Kings team that has played a very heavy game.
I'm not saying keep Toffoli and trade Boeser, far from it, but there is value in a player that can stay healthy, especially on a team like Vancouver where injuries seem to plague them year after year and still produce.

Reactions: bbud

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Canucks just tanked Baertschi's value early this season. IMO he was waived too early.
Exactly.

Shrewd Jimbo likes to bleed value.

Reactions: xtr3m

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Right except that having two winners haven't crossed your mind. Tampa got the deal they wanted. So did the Canucks. In hindsight, would Miller be the guy you trade from that team? If someone offered a 26 year old 1st line winger on a good contract with term for a future mid to late first round pick and a 3rd would you not take the deal laughing?

Sure though I don't think you're accounting for the fact that TBL was in a cap crunch at the time and badly needed to clear out salary. That alone would and should have deflated his value. Think about it this way: if Tampa had had no cap issues and were in no rush to move him, theoretically we should've paid even more than a 1st and a 3rd rounder just to get him. Do you think that would really be worth it?

Again, if Benning truly projected that Miller would be a PPG forward this year... why wouldn't he have been similarly accurate with others he struck out on like Eriksson, Ferland or Sutter who he envisioned as top 6 mainstays?

Similarly, LA got the deal they wanted. Benning never said that he got a steal or felt he "won" the trade. It was a deal that he was willing to make and it made a lot of sense for a team that have been making moves in hopes of making he playoffs. If the Canucks miss the playoffs because Benning stood pat then plenty of fans would blame Benning for standing pat. Just because a hefty price was paid doesn't meant that one side got screwed.

I think a fair portion of fans actually would've applauded him for standing pat given the prices for rentals we've seen in the past week or so. We're not yet at the point where they need to be moving out futures to put the finishing touches on a Stanley Cup contender.

Given how we gave up a 2nd and a very good prospect for potentially 20 games of Tyler Toffoli who we won't even have the cap room to re-sign short of them pulling off some heretofore unseen cap wizardry that they've never shown to be capable of, I think the concern on the value of this trade is more than justified. A panic move like this, after finding out Boeser was done for the year, only served to make things worse.

We also know from previous transactions what type of negotiator Benning has shown to be, so this isn't just some one-off.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Sure though I don't think you're accounting for the fact that TBL was in a cap crunch at the time and badly needed to clear out salary. That alone would and should have deflated his value. Think about it this way: if Tampa had had no cap issues and were in no rush to move him, theoretically we should've paid even more than a 1st and a 3rd rounder just to get him. Do you think that would really be worth it?
You're assuming the Canucks necessarily would have been willing to acquire him for that higher price, and there's no evidence this is true.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think it was Lebrun or someone who said this on 1040 a couple of days ago. He was talking to a GM and the GM was praising Benning. The main point was that there are teams who make these big moves in the summer only to lift their gas off the pedal come deadline time and the question is why. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If you think Benning has made all these "win now" moves, then why stop at the deadline when you have a chance of increasing the odds of achieving the goal you set out. Of course the counter to that is that you have already traded away your first in the summer and you don't want to keep trading away pieces of the future for immediate help.

this is stupid. This is pretty much the sunk cost fallacy. It’s like playing a hand of hold em, betting big on the turn, not making your hand knowing your opponent has a hand and pushing all in anyway.

play smart and tight, and save your chips for when you need them.

I have been saying this all year. Hell is there that much of a gap between Baertschi and Toffoli?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You're assuming the Canucks necessarily would have been willing to acquire him for that higher price, and there's no evidence this is true.

Whether or not we would've been willing to still acquire him at that higher price is another thing altogether... but to ignore the situation TBL were in with needing to clear out salary is oversimplifying things a bit.

Edit: I probably should've been a little clearer i.e that was only an example where the Canucks hypothetically had to get him no matter what.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Baertschi is so weird to me because I always saw a totally servicable NHLer there and it's strange to me that he hasn't seen a chance anywhere since his concussions. He was pushing .5 ppg pace for numerous extended parts of his career on a pretty bad team

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Baertschi is so weird to me because I always saw a totally servicable NHLer there and it's strange to me that he hasn't seen a chance anywhere since his concussions. He was pushing .5 ppg pace for numerous extended parts of his career on a pretty bad team
He just makes too much money. His salary is what keeps him in the AHL, if he were making $1.5 I have no doubt he'd be in the NHL somewhere, I have watched him in Utica all season and he can still play.

Still, I'm sure he'd take the huge payday and ride the buses over the meager payday and play in the show. It's mostly about money.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
He just makes too much money. His salary is what keeps him in the AHL, if he were making $1.5 I have no doubt he'd be in the NHL somewhere, I have watched him in Utica all season and he can still play.

Still, I'm sure he'd take the huge payday and ride the buses over the meager payday and play in the show. It's mostly about money.

Still, strange to think that we couldn't work something out with retention somehow. Plenty of teams could use a skilled third line winger.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It wasn't just Boeser. It was the top 3 RW'ers the team had coming into the season all being shut down for the year. That's a huge blow, and you could see the effects ripple through the forward corps.

Nearly our entire line-up of RW's going down with injury at the same time, and Godolbin STILL can't make this team? That's crazy to me, considering he looked pretty promising last year. He'd be a big improvement on Eriksson at the very least. I'm glad we got Toffoli, though.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Looks they did try to move Baertschi in the Toffoli trade:

Just speculation. Canucks were close to making a deal as rumours about Toffoli going to them started a couple weeks prior to the trade. The Boeser injury probably made Benning panic and he likely swapped Baertschi with Schaller and threw in a conditional pick to make the deal work.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Just speculation. Canucks were close to making a deal as rumours about Toffoli going to them started a couple weeks prior to the trade. The Boeser injury probably made Benning panic and he likely swapped Baertschi with Schaller and threw in a conditional pick to make the deal work.
We don't know any of this. You're crafting the most unflattering possible interpretation with zero evidence.

You can criticize Benning rationally -- it's easy, he's not a very good GM.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
this is stupid. This is pretty much the sunk cost fallacy. It’s like playing a hand of hold em, betting big on the turn, not making your hand knowing your opponent has a hand and pushing all in anyway.

play smart and tight, and save your chips for when you need them.

Have you heard of being pot committed? No offense but I think you would be pretty easy to play against. Entirely predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad