Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Jordie Benn signs with the Canucks (2 years, $2M AAV)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Benn is decent in his own and and that's it. He may had some trauma as s child because he thinks that approaching opposing zones is forbidden. That's why he had no offer from us.

The game is too fast for him but a solid bottom pair. Unfortunatly, we have nobody on the left side and overplayed him.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
good signing. we now have some d depth allowing our kids to take their time. woo and juolevi have at least two years before they need to crack our lineup.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m good with this,we need more grit in our lineup and another Dman who can play a shutdown/PK role to take some of the load off Tanev and Edler.Term and dollars are fine plus Benn is the type of player who’s in demand at the TDL if we’re out of the race at that point.

Umm.. no. He's not TDL material because his offence is close to zero.

He's a decent bottom 6 signing but let's not hype him for what he's not.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
good signing. we now have some d depth allowing our kids to take their time. woo and juolevi have at least two years before they need to crack our lineup.
Id hope Juolevi has shown he can play sooner than that.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
With today's signings and expected RFA signings, Vancouver now pretty far above salary cap limit...

(Note - the free agent figures I am using, if they are not already reported in press, are from Evolving Hockey's contract predictions. Other cap figures from Cap Friendly)

Right now.............$60.9 m
+ Myers.....................+6.0 m
+ Benn…..................+ 2.0 m
+ Fantenberg.......+ 0.85 m
+ Boeser…...............+ 7.0 m (RFA)
+ Motte….................+ 1.1 m (RFA)
+ Goldobin…..........+ 1.8 m (RFA)
+ Leivo…...................+ 1.9 m (RFA)
+ Teves…..................+ 0.7 m (RFA)
+ Rafferty….............+ 0.7 m (RFA)
Off-season TOT.....$ 82.922 million (limit is 110% of $81.5 m = $89.65 m)

Recapture Penalty.....+ 3.0 m
Season Start.................$85.956 million (Cap limit is $81.5 m)

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
Id hope Juolevi has shown he can play sooner than that.
But this gives him the time to make himself an impact player forcing his way in, as opposed to being there cuz we have no one else. He has missed a lot of time with injuries, i am willing to allow him the time to come back properly, with confidence. These signings allow him the time to do that.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone else feel a lot more comfortable with this then the Myers signing. Quite obviously it's only 2 years and a third of myers cap hit.. but overall I'd feel more comfortable with benn on the ice than Myers.

I almost feel as if the nucks havent watch Myers enough. I truly worry about his ability to defend zone entries and his lack of mobility in such a fast game. Am I underrating Myers? Because everytime I watch him I'm quite underwhelmed..

Anyways, back to the thread topic. Happy to have Benn coming here! On a very light low risk term. :)

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
With today's signings and expected RFA signings, Vancouver now pretty far above salary cap limit...

(Note - the free agent figures I am using, if they are not already reported in press, are from Evolving Hockey's contract predictions. Other cap figures from Cap Friendly)

You're forgetting that teams won't be running with 16 forwards and 12 defensemen. Once the team is reduced by 8 players, they'll be able to be under it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Fantenberg is actually a bit of a wild card, just for space on the roster as with so many forwards it looked two should be in the press box alongside the #7 D Biega.

Otherwise the defense is easy as Teves and Rafferty will go down. Up front they they have 16 forwards, with Roussel on IR till around December so that brings them to 15. Here you have Eriksson, Sutter, Schaller, and maybe Baerstchi who would be ideal to move, and Leivo, Goldobin, Motte, and Gaudette on the bubble. Two of these players (without Fanteberg it would be 1) will have to be either shiped out or sent down.

I don't have the exact math but I think once that's all taken care of they're probably cap compliant?

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Umm.. no. He's not TDL material because his offence is close to zero.

He's a decent bottom 6 signing but let's not hype him for what he's not.
That doesn’t matter.A lot of the players acquired at the TDL are defensive forwards and depth defensive Dmen.The games tighten up and get more physical and those types of players are essential to win in the playoffs.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Fantenberg is actually a bit of a wild card, just for space on the roster as with so many forwards it looked two should be in the press box alongside the #7 D Biega.

Otherwise the defense is easy as Teves and Rafferty will go down. Up front they they have 16 forwards, with Roussel on IR till around December so that brings them to 15. Here you have Eriksson, Sutter, Schaller, and maybe Baerstchi who would be ideal to move, and Leivo, Goldobin, Motte, and Gaudette on the bubble. Two of these players (without Fanteberg it would be 1) will have to be either shiped out or sent down.

I don't have the exact math but I think once that's all taken care of they're probably cap compliant?
If VAN got rid of Gaudette, Goldobin, Motte, Rafferty, Teves...they would be at $80.74 million (with $760k space)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If VAN got rid of Gaudette, Goldobin, Motte, Rafferty, Teves...they would be at $80.74 million (with $760k space)

do the math again but subtract up to $1 million for each of the contracts that will end up in the ahl.

13 forwards plus 7d plus 2 goalies plus roussell on ltir = 23 contracts. there are 28 on the roster so once all are signed 5 get waived. as a result roughly $4-5m cones off the total cap and then we will have $3m in ltir if needed.

Reactions: nucks88

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He's had injuries and he's been an offensive blackhole when healthy. He wasn't worth the deal when we gave it to him.
Not did he ever make sense as he didn't fit with the rebuild timeline (not that Benning was ever intentionally rebuilding).

Anyway, I was hoping if Benning signed Benn it wouldn't be a 4 year Benning special. $2m X 2 is decent. No complaints.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
So looks like

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Strecher

?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Benn is decent in his own and and that's it. He may had some trauma as s child because he thinks that approaching opposing zones is forbidden. That's why he had no offer from us.

The game is too fast for him but a solid bottom pair. Unfortunatly, we have nobody on the left side and overplayed him.
Can he clear the zone and get the puck back up to forwards? He doesn't have to be able to rush.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So looks like

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Strecher

?
Maybe as a depth chart but I would do the pairings like:

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Tanev
Juolevi - Biega

They'll have Juolevi in some games this year for sure once injuries come into play, especially if those injuries are to any of the d-men who play the powerplay. Injuries were bad last year, sure, but they they managed to dig through Sautner/Brisebois/Teves and you best believe Juolevi is called up before any of those guys if he isn't on the active roster.

Feb 24, 2017
can we keep the unfunny low hanging fruit jokes that any 12 year old could make on twitter and off hfboards?
No. This website isn’t better than twitter and you aren’t better than anyone on Twitter. You will enjoy the fruit no matter how low it hangs or you can go elsewhere for your fruit requirements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad