Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Jason Dickinson signs with Canucks (3 years, $2.65M AAV)

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
can someone explain whats so special about this guy defensively? in dallas was he matched up against other teams top forwards?

im always weary of this "defensive" forwards that barely crack 10 goals..... so he can backcheck..? tell me there is more here.
His defensive analytics are really good and led the stars in takeaways.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Huh?

If Ferland was traded, the cap space is off the books entirely.

Leaving Vancouver with only a cap of $81.5m. LTIR allows them to go over by Ferland's amount, in this case an additional $3.75m.

With Ferland's LTIR, they can go up to $85.25m giving them around $16m to sign Hughes and Pettersson rather than $12m-ish.

This has been around awhile now & teams have done this before, so not sure what's confusing about it.

There's no way Vancouver can fit both Hughes and Pettersson in under an $81.5m cap. Like I said, they need Ferland's LTIR. They aren't going to trade it.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Leaving Vancouver with only a cap of $81.5m. LTIR allows them to go over by Ferland's amount, in this case an additional $3.75m.

With Ferland's LTIR, they can go up to $85.25m giving them around $16m to sign Hughes and Pettersson rather than $12m-ish.

This has been around awhile now & teams have done this before, so not sure what's confusing about it.

There's no way Vancouver can fit both Hughes and Pettersson in under an $81.5m cap. Like I said, they need Ferland's LTIR. They aren't going to trade it.
The 3.75M in cap space they get back with Ferland on LTIR is a wash with the $3.75 they're hit with. If they traded Ferland, they'd still get the cap space as they wouldnt be hit with the 3.75M initially.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Canucks don’t need to trade Ferland’s contract, and it’s unlikely they’re going to pay someone to take his uninsured contract.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Great deal. Jim Benning continues his great offseason. For those who still say he hasnt learned his lesson, bottom 6 is now

Pearson(3.25)-Dickinson(2.65)-Podkolzin(.925)
Motte(1.22)-Sutter(1.125)-Highmore (.725)
Man I wish that I could be this much of an optimist. It would be so much better if I thought that everyone else was wrong and my team's shitty GM was actually doing a great job!

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
Man I wish that I could be this much of an optimist. It would be so much better if I thought that everyone else was wrong and my team's shitty GM was actually doing a great job!
So showing u what the bottom 6 is getting paid is some sorta bias optimist? He did do a good job here but keep crying kid

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

If Pettersson and Hughes contract combines for more than $14m I might riot.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
with this signing it leaves us with enough cap room to only sign one of Hughes or Petey for the time being.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What do you think they’re getting paid?

Hughes agent same as pettersons might be trying to aim at heiskanen numbers since contract talk usually done with stats. Hughes has far more points than him (heiskanen )in 2 seasons. I think 8 million and up. Petterson probably a barzal like short term deal 7 million for 3 years. So

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Hughes agent same as pettersons might be trying to aim at heiskanen numbers since contract talk usually done with stats. Hughes has far more points than him (heiskanen )in 2 seasons. I think 8 million and up. Petterson probably a barzal like short term deal 7 million for 3 years. So

I'm just glad you aren't a GM.

If Hughes gets anything over $5.5m on a 3 year bridge, I would be angry.
If Hughes gets a contract that has higher AAV than Petterson, there must be something really wrong.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I like this deal for Dickinson, solid contract for a solid 3C. Looking forward to seeing how he does here.

Now lets get EP signed long term at 9.5, and QH on a bridge at 6.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm just glad you aren't a GM.

If Hughes gets anything over $5.5m on a 3 year bridge, I would be angry.
If Hughes gets a contract that has higher AAV than Petterson, there must be something really wrong.

No no, I’m not suggesting he gets 8. His agent will look at market value for what dman that puts up his type of number gets. Usually they look at overall stats. Hughes is one year younger than heiskanen, has way more points in 2 seasons miro has 3 seasons, Hughes points totals are higher that’s what his agent will look at.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks forward group is top 10 in the NHL to go along with some exciting puck movers on their defence with OEL, Hughes, and Rathbone.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
No no, I’m not suggesting he gets 8. His agent will look at market value for what dman that puts up his type of number gets. Usually they look at overall stats. Hughes is one year younger than heiskanen, has way more points in 2 seasons miro has 3 seasons, Hughes points totals are higher that’s what his agent will look at.

Hughes can't PK, and his defense is questionable at best.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hughes can't PK, and his defense is questionable at best.

we all know that, but that's now how it works in the negotiation world between the General Manager and the an experienced agent like Jp Barry or any players Agent in general. When it comes to contract negotiations the players side usually will just leverage stats. A smart agent will use market value to leverage. In this case, he can use Miro or even Makar in that range. Miro will be more reasonable since Hughes clearly have superior stats to Miro in 2 seasons alone. So there is where I can see JP Barry leveraging that amount to start.

How do you think Mitchel Marner got a 10.9 million dollar contract? He leveraged it against Matthews (his teammate) who who got a huge pay raise who came off a 73 point in 68 game season. Marner who had 94 points in his so called contract year, which is also would out performs 73 in 68 wanted exactly Matthews got. Of course he thinks he's entitled to a 11.6 million dollar offer. Hilarious how Dubas though Marner would settle for a home town discount.

Right now Jim Benning can kind of leverage it on our own self imposed Salary cap if he's good enough. I personally don't think he's as a smooth talker as lets say Mike Gillis. We are kinda screwed right now to be honest.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
we all know that, but that's now how it works in the negotiation world between the General Manager and the an experienced agent like Jp Barry or any players Agent in general. When it comes to contract negotiations the players side usually will just leverage stats. A smart agent will use market value to leverage. In this case, he can use Miro or even Makar in that range. Miro will be more reasonable since Hughes clearly have superior stats to Miro in 2 seasons alone. So there is where I can see JP Barry leveraging that amount to start.

How do you think Mitchel Marner got a 10.9 million dollar contract? He leveraged it against Matthews (his teammate) who who got a huge pay raise who came off a 73 point in 68 game season. Marner who had 94 points in his so called contract year, which is also would out performs 73 in 68 wanted exactly Matthews got. Of course he thinks he's entitled to a 11.6 million dollar offer. Hilarious how Dubas though Marner would settle for a home town discount.

Right now Jim Benning can kind of leverage it on our own self imposed Salary cap if he's good enough. I personally don't think he's as a smooth talker as lets say Mike Gillis. We are kinda screwed right now to be honest.

Just because agents can use the same argument doesn't mean that the team will agree to it, that's why it's call an negotiation.

If Hughe's agents are stubborn, then Hughes as a 10.2 can sit and then we can trade him to a team that's willing to pay him that much.

We have seen many great offensive Ds, but can they help win the cup if they can't perform in even a top 4 level D?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Just because agents can use the same argument doesn't mean that the team will agree to it, that's why it's call an negotiation.

If Hughe's agents are stubborn, then Hughes as a 10.2 can sit and then we can trade him to a team that's willing to pay him that much.

We have seen many great offensive Ds, but can they help win the cup if they can't perform in even a top 4 level D?

well of course they are not at an agreement because he’s not signed. I’m not saying he should be a 8 million dollar dman. I’m just letting you know the history of how some of these contracts are played out. Lots of agents will leverage the market. Some might leverage a player on that players current team. As a hockey observer I think jp Barry is looking at miro recent contract (heiskanen was terrible this year btw). In my opinion benning might try to push for a contract similar to oel current contract which is 7.2 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad