Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th ~ PT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Actually THE most embarrassing thing in the Flames series was Hamhuis having to step-in when Dorsett was overmatched in his fight; where Pizza - ON THE ICE - was too busy exchanging cooking recipes with another Flames player.

A problem which they thought they solved with the huge acquisition of Prust. Oops.

Wonder if they're looking to move Gaunce + picks for a Matt Martin (or Chris Neil...) so Dorsett can have backup again. Even with Gudbranson, you ideally don't want your top four defenseman spending half the game in the penalty box... right?

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
A problem which they thought they solved with the huge acquisition of Prust. Oops.

Wonder if they're looking to move Gaunce + picks for a Matt Martin (or Chris Neil...) so Dorsett can have backup again. Even with Gudbranson, you ideally don't want your top four defenseman spending half the game in the penalty box... right?

He had 49 PIMs over 64 games.
Edler had 46 in 52.
Gudbranson seems good at walking the line between physical and undisciplined.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Edler had 46 in 52.

That's good to hear, but I don't mean minor penalties. Given that Dorsett lead the league in penalties and they still wanted Prust to help out with the staged fights, can't you see Gudbranson having to take on a greater load of fighting than he did in Florida? Only way I can't is if they acquire another Prust-type. :help:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
God why am I doing this to myself....

You need a guy that goes out there and plays the hard minutes in your zone. The guy hard back on the backcheck, killing penalties and being involved with defensive zone draws. Thats what Gudbranson does. Florida fans say he was by far their best penalty killer. His best work is done in the defensive zone.

Actually you're right! I absolutely agree. Looks like I've come to my senses guys!

Who cares about Corsi and Zone exits and puck possession? We need a guy who can block shots and hit people! Who cares that it means the other team has possession of the puck in our zone? We don't win hockey games by getting puck possession, taking it out of our zone, and entering the opposing team's zone. No. We win hockey games by blocking shots, hitting people, intimidating, winning scrums, and ripping the puck!

:sarcasm:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
well why dont u lazy little boys youtube the isles-panthers games. They have full games on there and ill tell u right now what ive seen from gudbranson is VERY encouraging. He looks good.

I've seen a fair bit of Gudbranson over the years thank you, and the point had nothing to do with the time/efort someone (Bourdon?) who put the clip together.

I just find 4 plus minutes of a guy punching people or playing the boards, limited and it plays right into how not to build a sound defense or a team that's actually exciting to watch.

Hoping that Gudbranson is better than I expect.

Glad you're excited. Perhaps you can learn to post without insulting a different opinion?

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
That's good to hear, but I don't mean minor penalties. Given that Dorsett lead the league in penalties and they still wanted Prust to help out with the staged fights, can't you see Gudbranson having to take on a greater load of fighting than he did in Florida? Only way I can't is if they acquire another Prust-type. :help:

I imagine players won't be as inclined to challenge Gudbranson as they would the Chihuahua on our 4th line or the hugger that cleared waivers.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Actually you're right! I absolutely agree. Looks like I've come to my senses guys!

Who cares about Corsi and Zone exits and puck possession? We need a guy who can block shots and hit people! Who cares that it means the other team has possession of the puck in our zone? We don't win hockey games by getting puck possession, taking it out of our zone, and entering the opposing team's zone. No. We win hockey games by blocking shots, hitting people, intimidating, winning scrums, and ripping the puck!

:sarcasm:

No, I am pretty sure the harder you hit a guy, the more goals you score.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
He didn't claim it as his own, please stop making libellous posts about our fine HFBoards quality posters/posts.

I know you're half joking, but I'll reiterate that it's plagiarism. Even if it was properly linked and cited you can't just copy and paste an entire article. The guy needs to know that.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I imagine players won't be as inclined to challenge Gudbranson as they would the Chihuahua on our 4th line or the hugger that cleared waivers.

Didn't think of it like that, but agreed. So assuming the Canucks keep up with their league average of ~25 fights next season, and Dorsett doesn't surpass 10, who is taking part in the other 15 scraps? Is Gudbranson going to replace the 7 fights that Prust was in? He had three last season.

If so, what a tremendous waste of assets for a guy to spend a ton of minutes in the penalty box. If not, who is Jim Benning going to pick up? Because I'd bet this is one stat he is actually cognizant of.

One possibility is that they deploy Pedan in that role and a full season of Tryamkin takes care of the rest of it. Can only hope.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Edler had 46 in 52.

I'd suspect once Gudbranson wears the Canucks jersey - he'll automatically get called for more penalties than he would otherwise. This has NOTHING to do with him and more to do with we (Canucks) often get the short end of the stick in officiating.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Didn't think of it like that, but agreed. So assuming the Canucks keep up with their league average of ~25 fights next season,

Is there any real need to keep their 25 fights? The majority were meaningless fights between meaningless players. Dorsett and Prust had 18 of them, and likely the only one that meant anything was Dorsett vs Ferland, except the kid kicked the veteran tough guy's ass pretty handily so he likely should have given that one a miss anyways.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There whole team?

I'm amazed by how hard the forecheck has been from PIT, they are like zombies who just never stop coming. They made Hedman look like crap. Every line, every shift, every puck was chased and led to contact.

It takes a few guys to start and eventually the whole team buys into putting out maximum effort every shift.

Sorry I didn't make my statement clear.

I was talking about the big dman that is just there to deter those guys. Or a Prust, Dorsett. The fact is the better way to get around that is a skill dman who moves the puck and makes plays to combat that forecheck.

It's not even that I think gud is just there for that, just that I don't think it is worth a lot.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Is there any real need to keep their 25 fights? The majority were meaningless fights between meaningless players. Dorsett and Prust had 18 of them, and likely the only one that meant anything was Dorsett vs Ferland, except the kid kicked the veteran tough guy's ass pretty handily so he likely should have given that one a miss anyways.

Didn't we led the league in fighting majors (or near the top of the list) in the 2011 season - a team full of softies?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'd suspect once Gudbranson wears the Canucks jersey - he'll automatically get called for more penalties than he would otherwise. This has NOTHING to do with him and more to do with we (Canucks) often get the short end of the stick in officiating.

So does every other team.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Didn't think of it like that, but agreed. So assuming the Canucks keep up with their league average of ~25 fights next season, and Dorsett doesn't surpass 10, who is taking part in the other 15 scraps? Is Gudbranson going to replace the 7 fights that Prust was in? He had three last season.

Why would you assume the canucks will hit some previous number of fights, and that someone has to step in to make up the difference? Different personal leads to different results.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Here's some words from someone. Helps explain his corsi or whatever you want to call the numbers game you kids play. Welcome to Vancouver Erik.

Read full article at: http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/5/27/11789054/erik-gudbranson-a-look-back-at-a-player-i-will-miss

BAM!

I would also say to the corsi guys out there, probably the best corsi team of all time would be the Russians in the 70's. It can tell you a lot about the game but those kind of stats based approaches can't explain why Canada won the Summit Series or why the Bruins beat us in '11. Emotion, confidence, team toughness, hard work, competitiveness, heart, the willingness to break the odd ankle to win or stick some fingers in a guys mouth and claim a guy bit you... the so called intangibles will trump skilled 'possession play' hockey every time, especially in the playoffs.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
BAM!

I would also say to the corsi guys out there, probably the best corsi team of all time would be the Russians in the 70's. It can tell you a lot about the game but those kind of stats based approaches can't explain why Canada won the Summit Series or why the Bruins beat us in '11. Emotion, confidence, team toughness, hard work, competitiveness, heart, the willingness to break the odd ankle to win or stick some fingers in a guys mouth and claim a guy bit you... the so called intangibles will trump skilled 'possession play' hockey every time, especially in the playoffs.

Didn't hurt the "chairman" of the board of league governors was Jacobs.:sarcasm:

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
His puck possession still ranked as a bottom pairing defenseman last year.

His CF% (49.7% with 47.8% O-zone starts) was 3rd out of 6 Florida defensemen when excluding time spent playing with Willie Mitchell. Willie was quite the anchor last year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know you're half joking, but I'll reiterate that it's plagiarism. Even if it was properly linked and cited you can't just copy and paste an entire article. The guy needs to know that.

Actually if you properly cite or credit the author it isn't plagiarism. There may be copyright issues with reproducing an article word for word without permission, but it isn't plagiarism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad