Proposal: Van - Detroit swap 6th OA for 9th OA +

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hi Everyone

A Canuck fan here. I am coming to you in friendship.

I am just wondering what would the add be to convince the Red Wing's to swap the 6th OA for the 9th OA?

Our prospects are thin, as they are all playing on the big team, so I propose the add to be a pick.

Any thoughts on it?

On a totally separate note, are you guys remotely interested in picking Wallstedt or Cossa?

Thanks!

Go Detroit!
I don't think Stevie is interested in it. Sixth is a great spot for drafting McTavish, Edvinsson or Hughes and those three would all address big needs for us.

Aside from that, when he drafted Vasilevskiy, he used his second pick of the draft to do so and it was outside the top ten. So, I think he might be interested in Cossa at 22nd, but not Wallstedt at sixth or ninth.

Also, the material you have to give up to move up a few spots in the top ten is substantial, historically. It would not be "a pick," but picks and picks upon picks in your case. Meanwhile there will be some quality players available at ninth who would make me say, I'm not giving up all this just to move up three spots.

If a team called like this, I think Stevie replies that he wasn't really thinking about it and he was hoping to address other needs at sixth actually, so it's not something he could do easily for you, to be frank.

Last edited:

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Am I taking crazy pills? People would move down from 6th to 9th for a 2nd rounder or Olli-will-never-be-an-NHLer-Juolevi?

We get extra 2nd rounders for moving from 16 to 20, or from 18 to 20.

Price would be much higher to move down within the top 10.

That is true, but since there is no solid ranking of draft picks this year nobody is missing out. 11 to 14 is a 2nd round pick in a normal year.

This year quantity is going to trump quality of picks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That is true, but since there is no solid ranking of draft picks this year nobody is missing out. 11 to 14 is a 2nd round pick in a normal year.

This year quantity is going to trump quality of picks.

We already have 2 picks in each round for the first 5 rounds.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
A second and Michael DiPietro
Yeah, I don't know what DiPietro's future projects to be but I think a goalie prospect makes sense given how thin our prospect pool is right now. Then if you draft Wallstedt - not my preference but whatever - then you could have a solid 1-2 with Wallstedt and DiPietro.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
A second rounder isn’t enticing enough and maybe attaching a Vancouver 2022 first is an overpay but I think that’s what it takes with a very small add on our side.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hi Everyone

A Canuck fan here. I am coming to you in friendship.

I am just wondering what would the add be to convince the Red Wing's to swap the 6th OA for the 9th OA?

Our prospects are thin, as they are all playing on the big team, so I propose the add to be a pick.

Any thoughts on it?

On a totally separate note, are you guys remotely interested in picking Wallstedt or Cossa?

Thanks!

Go Detroit!

Welcome to the Wings board. I think it depends on how the draft plays out. If the top 5 goes: Power, Beniers, Hughes, Edvinsson, Eklund and thus we're picking between Johnson, Clarke, Guenther, Wallstedt and "obvious omission I refuse to acknowledge as a possibility" then I could make a trade to 9 for a reasonable price. If Hughes, Beniers or Edvinsson are there, it'll cost you more than you'd pay (Unprotected 2022 or 2023 1st) because I'd rather just take the player unless you really make it worth my while. If just Eklund is there then I'd do something like:
6th OA + 2022 2nd for 9th OA + 2022 lottery protected 1st. If Nucks win the lottery, the pick slides to unprotected 2023 1st and we give you a conditional 2023 2nd instead. If the Nucks win the 2023 lottery, then we give you our 2023 1st instead of the 2nd (so you'd still have a top 10 pick). That's also probably more than you'd pay considering the top end of 2022 and 2023.

If my top 5 are all gone, then I'd do 6th OA for your 9th OA + a 2nd + a 2022 3rd. I'm not too interested in Juolevi but I haven't followed him too closely so maybe something like 9 + a 2nd + Juolevi could work too.

I know that the 6th and 9th OA picks are going to be same tier prospects, but personally I like having my pick of the litter.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Welcome to the Wings board. I think it depends on how the draft plays out. If the top 5 goes: Power, Beniers, Hughes, Edvinsson, Eklund and thus we're picking between Johnson, Clarke, Guenther, Wallstedt and "obvious omission I refuse to acknowledge as a possibility" then I could make a trade to 9 for a reasonable price. If Hughes, Beniers or Edvinsson are there, it'll cost you more than you'd pay (Unprotected 2022 or 2023 1st) because I'd rather just take the player unless you really make it worth my while. If just Eklund is there then I'd do something like:
6th OA + 2022 2nd for 9th OA + 2022 lottery protected 1st. If Nucks win the lottery, the pick slides to unprotected 2023 1st and we give you a conditional 2023 2nd instead. If the Nucks win the 2023 lottery, then we give you our 2023 1st instead of the 2nd (so you'd still have a top 10 pick). That's also probably more than you'd pay considering the top end of 2022 and 2023.

If my top 5 are all gone, then I'd do 6th OA for your 9th OA + a 2nd + a 2022 3rd. I'm not too interested in Juolevi but I haven't followed him too closely so maybe something like 9 + a 2nd + Juolevi could work too.

I know that the 6th and 9th OA picks are going to be same tier prospects, but personally I like having my pick of the litter.

That's not far off the rated value but the players available at 6th, 7th and 8th overall to us I would prefer to most of the guys that are 9th and later. Unless the goal is Svechkov at 9, and to package off Vancouver's 2nd and NYR's 2nd for another late 1st.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That's not far off the rated value but the players available at 6th, 7th and 8th overall to us I would prefer to most of the guys that are 9th and later. Unless the goal is Svechkov at 9, and to package off Vancouver's 2nd and NYR's 2nd for another late 1st.
If Power, Beniers, Hughes Edvinsson and Eklund are gone, I barely prefer the guys at 6 to the guys at 9. They're really close. So getting another couple picks is worth it to me. That's only in the scenario of that top 5 though. Otherwise I need some real incentive to give up one of those 5 in exchange for Guenther as a random example

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Power, Beniers, Hughes Edvinsson and Eklund are gone, I barely prefer the guys at 6 to the guys at 9. They're really close. So getting another couple picks is worth it to me. That's only in the scenario of that top 5 though. Otherwise I need some real incentive to give up one of those 5 in exchange for Guenther as a random example

I'd bet money that Hughes doesn't go in the top 5 and could see Guenther going to one of the Ducks or the Devils instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad