Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd - Pt. 2

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think I’ve landed on my feelings here.

I think Hronek is a good player. Instantly our second best defender.

I think the cost to acquire him, on the face of things, is probably fair.

Where I am confused - and where I feel this trade really falls down - is the timing and where we are at as a franchise. I think it’s right move…wrong time.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
... typed out a reply.

The general gist: we have seen this before... it doesn't end well. At some point they need to transition. They are not even close to the playoffs, let alone cup contending.

Reactions: Yossarian54

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I think you can rationalise this trade in isolation if you want. Like i've heard many reasonable justifications of many of the other trades we have made over the last 10 years, I've even made some of those justifications.

This is a continuation of a series of trades over many squandering draft assets for players who aren't going to move a team from 27th to genuine contender. Each pick on it's own is low chance to yield a player like Hronek, sure. The totality of them is the issue.

Every time someone can say the context of the team is different so this trade makes sense, or that the player is different so this trade is worthwhile. If the last decade has taught us anything, I think it is that this isn't really true until you are actually a genuine contender. We're still at the bottom without many real pieces.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
... typed out a reply.

The general gist: we have seen this before... it doesn't end well. At some point they need to transition. They are not even close to the playoffs, let alone cup contending.
Detroit are a better team than the Canucks, yet they still are smart enough to realize they are not close to contending so jumped at the chance to turn a 2nd pairing dman into 1st and 2nd picks ina great draft, BIG PICTURE.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think you can rationalise this trade in isolation if you want. Like i've heard many reasonable justifications of many of the other trades we have made over the last 10 years, I've even made some of those justifications.

This is a continuation of a series of trades over many squandering draft assets for players who aren't going to move a team from 27th to genuine contender. Each pick on it's own is low chance to yield a player like Hronek, sure. The totality of them is the issue.

Every time someone can say the context of the team is different so this trade makes sense, or that the player is different so this trade is worthwhile. If the last decade has taught us anything, I think it is that this isn't really true until you are actually a genuine contender. We're still at the bottom without many real pieces.

I will say it's a little different in that the Canucks have a few VERY GOOD pieces up front and a top d-man and goalie. But the gulf on defense and in the prospect pool is so large I don't think it can just be addressed by trades that just shuffle assets around.

Feb 19, 2018
D73B618C-3C46-4C3C-B2F2-A3A28618D4DC.png

Reactions: Indiana

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Detroit are a better team than the Canucks, yet they still are smart enough to realize they are not close to contending so jumped at the chance to turn a 2nd pairing dman into 1st and 2nd picks ina great draft, BIG PICTURE.

Nashville are a much better team than the Canucks and just picked up some crazy amount of picks and prospects over a few days.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think I’ve landed on my feelings here.

I think Hronek is a good player. Instantly our second best defender.

I think the cost to acquire him, on the face of things, is probably fair.

Where I am confused - and where I feel this trade really falls down - is the timing and where we are at as a franchise. I think it’s right move…wrong time.

Yeah. In a sense, the timing of it would be better if we weren't adding him as our 2nd best defender. If you pick up what I'm putting down.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I will say it's a little different in that the Canucks have a few VERY GOOD pieces up front and a top d-man and goalie. But the gulf on defense and in the prospect pool is so large I don't think it can just be addressed by trades that just shuffle assets around.

I think that kind of accurately describes the team in the mid 2010s too.

That's kind of my point though. We can rationalise it based on where this team is at right now, or because it's this piece we're missing or it has to be now because of these contracts. Really though it's the same mistake in different clothes.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
minus -87 doesn't scream second best defender- even on this team.

That's how you know he's not a top pairing guy. That and he was traded because he was replaceable by another non playoff team that is actually better.

So ya, a 2nd pairing right handed offensive d-man. He's OK. On no planet would I ever trade a 14-16 and 40th overall pick in the deepest draft we will likely see for 10 years for a decent 2nd pairing d-man when there's no chance of making the playoffs for a couple years.

Feb 19, 2018
Same people want Severson for $6 million as a free agent. Hamilton was legit the last UFA Dman that went for $9 million and is a comparable. These guys are not available…..

No worthy RHD is ever available

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I'm still not a fan of this move, but I think I may have moderated a bit on my initial distaste. Much of that probably stems from unfamiliarity with Hronek tho. The sticker shock was pretty high when the trade first broke since I thought Allvin getting access to a potential unprotected pick next year was a total coup. However some other points here about needing to augment a valid core of Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Hughes and Demko are valid. We do have a pretty decent, young offensive core here. We've just sucked on defense and goal this year. With Demko back - Bear and Hronek are actual attempts to fix the glaring roster issue.

I really wish the pick was protected somehow. If the Isles bottom out and win the lottery next year... bleh.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
IF OEL is on LTIR for the rest of his career, then Filip may do okay, as the offensive threat on the second pairing.
But both he and Quin need a stable defensive minded d man for their pairings

Strange thing about signing free agents, is you don't have to give up draft picks to do it.

Feb 19, 2018
IF OEL is on LTIR for the rest of his career, then Filip may do okay, as the offensive threat on the second pairing.
But both he and Quin need a stable defensive minded d man for their pairings

Strange thing about signing free agents, is you don't have to give up draft picks to do it.

And they are the easiest to acquire. As UFA RHD you don’t need to pay assets but they effect your Cap like Myers. He would be getting a $7 million dollar contract if he was a UFA due to demand of position and we have another year at $4.4 million and a RFA after that. It’s a classic case of supply and demand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad