Confirmed Buy-Out [VAN] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson bought out by the Canucks ($19.333333M over the next eight years)

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
y'all sure you want this on your team?

Injuries aside, he looked to me like a player that arrived in Vancouver completely checked out mentally after whatever went down in Arizona. I think he let the game pass him by in those soft years with the Coyotes after he signed his fat contract, and he's now playing catch up at this point. While in Van, he didn't show any signs of the will he would need to work his way back as a legitimate top 4 guy, but maybe the buy out lights a fire under his ass, and maybe he can be motivated on a contender. I do think if he doesn't have success early with his new team he will check out again when the going gets tough. He'll always be able to play soft minutes and be a distributor on the powerplay, but I wouldn't want to commit a spot to him if I was looking to contend.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
y'all sure you want this on your team?

Injuries aside, he looked to me like a player that arrived in Vancouver completely checked out mentally after whatever went down in Arizona. I think he let the game pass him by in those soft years with the Coyotes after he signed his fat contract, and he's now playing catch up at this point. While in Van, he didn't show any signs of the will he would need to work his way back as a legitimate top 4 guy, but maybe the buy out lights a fire under his ass, and maybe he can be motivated on a contender. I do think if he doesn't have success early with his new team he will check out again when the going gets tough. He'll always be able to play soft minutes and be a distributor on the powerplay, but I wouldn't want to commit a spot to him if I was looking to contend.

Was never a big fan of acquiring him. No offense, but to me, it says plenty about a player who opts to sign long term with a team that has had no success over the 8 years he was with them aside from that 1 run in 2012. He knew the arena situation was holding the franchise back, yet opted to stay with them. So, I think at that point, I agree with your premise that he checked out of the competition of the NHL to raise his game.

Seemed odd to be that he finally wanted out and listed Bos and Van as his destinations. Like why Van?

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Seemed odd to be that he finally wanted out and listed Bos and Van as his destinations. Like why Van?
I've wondered the same thing. Thinking out loud, maybe it had to do with the trade talks starting the year the Canucks won a few rounds in the bubble, so they were looking not bad, and they also had Swedish national team guys like Markstrom and Edler. Benning also believed in him as a #2, which goes a long way, and the Sedins re-joined the organization shortly after OEL signed, so maybe that was a known secret they were coming back. I think it was the coziest option for OEL, at least when the talks started and he put together his list. The path of least resistance, really.

Maddogy

Oct 15, 2020
What exactly happened to OEL? Is it injuries or lack of motivation or what?
Mostly injuries however his motivation to become the best he can be is not great. His first season with Vancouver was decent, worthy of a 2nd pair D on a non-contending team. Alex Edler is injury prone at his seniors age but exhibits much more motivation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad