Confirmed Buy-Out [VAN] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson bought out by the Canucks ($19.333333M over the next eight years)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Buyouts of such contracts make sense if the FO goal is to retool and not rebuild. I don't know if that's what I'd do if I was in the Canucks' position, but it's typical JR-type of behavior and they may feel extra pressure to do it because they want to keep Pettersson long-term.
hes been a disaster as a Canuck. His career stalled. If anyone ever deserved a buyout its him.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I know this Summer is a cap crunch, but would there not have been a taker if you retained 2 or even 3 million a year and just gave him away for nothing? Has he gotten THAT bad? Even retaining 3 million you get out at 12 million and average the same 3 million a year cap penalty the first 4 years and are done in 4 years. No one would take OEL for 4 million a year cap hit?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Omg Benning, this must be skyrocketing up as 1 of the worst trade ever. OEL bought out 2 years after the trade, and cant give away Garland for free. Wow if anyone employ Benning. First Seguin and now this... besides all his other dumb moves..

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Well at least they got Garland in the deal and it only cost them a top 10 overall pick in the 2021 NHL draft.

Now Imagine if Dylan Guenther becomes a great player for Arizona. He’s 20. Scored 6 goals this year as a 19 year old in 33 games. Had 7 goals in 7 games at the WJC. He’s not exactly a low level prospect. He’s trending towards at least a good 2nd line winger.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know this Summer is a cap crunch, but would there not have been a taker if you retained 2 or even 3 million a year and just gave him away for nothing? Has he gotten THAT bad? Even retaining 3 million you get out at 12 million and average the same 3 million a year cap penalty the first 4 years and are done in 4 years. No one would take OEL for 4 million a year cap hit?

He has been bad since before Vancouver even acquired him. Benning was just an idiot.

There's a reason that Arizona was willing to give him up for basically 3 short term cap dumps.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t think people realize how stupid Aquilini is.

The way this man operates blows my mind that he can even get up in the morning
I still can’t believe Aquilini approved this trade

They made this trade WITHOUT having Pettersson and Hughes signed yet, and tried to negotiate with the idea of “we only have this much cap space, take it or leave it”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad