Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CGY] Elias Lindholm for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, cond. 2024 4th

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If he got injured after the first couple of games in Vancouver, it would explain a lot.

And considering he looks good for the first few games, it does make me think.

Also, kuzmenko is a cap dump for Vancouver, it’s not that he’s a bad player. Overall, he’s just a guy who’s a liability, defensively, but gifted offensively.

Saving 5.5 million next season is monumental, it’s the equivalent of a first round draft, pick, if not more.

This might be coping, but worst-case scenario, it’s still not a dreadful trade, just a bad one

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If he got injured after the first couple of games in Vancouver, it would explain a lot.

And considering he looks good for the first few games, it does make me think.

Also, kuzmenko is a cap dump for Vancouver, it’s not that he’s a bad player. Overall, he’s just a guy who’s a liability, defensively, but gifted offensively.

Saving 5.5 million next season is monumental, it’s the equivalent of a first round draft, pick, if not more.

This might be coping, but worst-case scenario, it’s still not a dreadful trade, just a bad one
Management chose to re-sign Kuzmenko instead of cashing out at last year's deadline. He could have fetched a 1st round pick. Instead we paid a 1st to dump him in the Lindholm trade. The only reason they made the trade in the first place was because they wanted a second line center as Pettersson was on the lotto line. Management has made some good moves but at the same time they don't seem to have a plan, just kind of make it up as they go. Sort of like Vegas but without the Cup.

Feb 19, 2018
This trade will be purely judged on the playoffs and the role Lindholm ends up playing. Right now the trade does look bad in hindsight but the full body of work has also yet to be seen.

Maybe him resting whatever it is that he has (injury, between the ears) makes him feel refreshed and he plays like he’s a pending UFA and fighting for his next contract.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
this trade has been pretty bad for vancouver. if kuzy was kept or moved elsewhere for a better player.

Kuzmenko was sitting in the press box, the Canucks are trying to win the cup this year, not get an extra 4th round pick in 2026 that won't make an impact for another decade, if ever. He's among the least valuable pieces in the package.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This trade will be purely judged on the playoffs and the role Lindholm ends up playing. Right now the trade does look bad in hindsight but the full body of work has also yet to be seen.

Maybe him resting whatever it is that he has (injury, between the ears) makes him feel refreshed and he plays like he’s a pending UFA and fighting for his next contract.
This

Van didn't get him for games in Feb/March. The playoffs will be the deciding factor on how the trade will look for Vancouver.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Management chose to re-sign Kuzmenko instead of cashing out at last year's deadline. He could have fetched a 1st round pick. Instead we paid a 1st to dump him in the Lindholm trade. The only reason they made the trade in the first place was because they wanted a second line center as Pettersson was on the lotto line. Management has made some good moves but at the same time they don't seem to have a plan, just kind of make it up as they go. Sort of like Vegas but without the Cup.

Kuzmenko started the season at a PPG pace, despite Pettersson played like shit. And Tocchet still healthyscratched him like crazy, untill Kuzmenko absolutely lost any confidence and joy from the game.

And now Vancouver fans whine Pettersson doesn't have good linemates to play with...

Btw since the trade Pettersson 20 points in 24 games, Boeser 7 goals in 24 games...

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Kuzmenko started the season at a PPG pace, despite Pettersson played like shit. And Tocchet still healthyscratched him like crazy, untill Kuzmenko absolutely lost any confidence and joy from the game.

And now Vancouver fans whine Pettersson doesn't have good linemates to play with...

Guentzel. Oh wait, he’s killing it Carolina.

Reactions: David71

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Guentzel. Oh wait, he’s killing it Carolina.

Pettersson - Kuzmenko connection worked very well last season despite Tocchet tried to break it a few times. This season Tocchet finished the job, and I don't understand why Vancouver fans aren't happy, if they love Tocchet so much...

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm all for the Canucks fans who are taking the wait and see hat happens in the playoff approach. Perfectly reasonable attitude as a fan.

Some of you need to get out of the copium den. Acting like the freed up cap space is a new thing. It was part of the deal along with the "best centre available".

A defense group that includes Myers, Cole, Zadorov, Friedman, and Juulsen doesn't have room for a defense prospect? You must be high.

It's not looking like a great trade at the moment. It happens a lot at the deadline. I don't watch him so for all I know he just needs some time to adjusting to a new team.

At the end of the day if Lindholm comes as advertised come playoff time nothing else matters.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Pettersson - Kuzmenko connection worked very well last season despite Tocchet tried to break it a few times. This season Tocchet finished the job, and I don't understand why Vancouver fans aren't happy, if they love Tocchet so much...

Tocchet isn't the messiah, he can do things people disagree with despite being regarded as a good coach by the fanbase.

Reactions: wetcoast

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver paid a 1st for Lindholm. That was his value at the time. Winnipeg paid a 1st for similar center.

That 1st was not for Kuzmenko.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm all for the Canucks fans who are taking the wait and see hat happens in the playoff approach. Perfectly reasonable attitude as a fan.

Some of you need to get out of the copium den. Acting like the freed up cap space is a new thing. It was part of the deal along with the "best centre available".

A defense group that includes Myers, Cole, Zadorov, Friedman, and Juulsen doesn't have room for a defense prospect? You must be high.

It's not looking like a great trade at the moment. It happens a lot at the deadline. I don't watch him so for all I know he just needs some time to adjusting to a new team.

At the end of the day if Lindholm comes as advertised come playoff time nothing else matters.

I don't see it as coping, I see Canuck fans who don't care much for losing a late 1st, an exciting but not blue chip prospect and a bunch of meh excited that the team made a move and it's indicative of their philosophy that a lot of us agree with. Even though Lindholm hasn't been good, he was still the best option for the team at the time, who desperately needed another faceoff ace and right hand shot.

Mike Gillis had two President's Trophy winning teams in back to back years where the team kept their first round picks. It was extremely frustrating especially when the team's drafting was so terrible.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Btw since the trade Pettersson 20 points in 24 games, Boeser 7 goals in 24 games...
It's a wonder that the Flames aren't a SC contender having such an impactful player on their roster now eh?

Kuzmenko is a good fantasy hockey player if hits and blocks and +/- aren't categories he will score some points make some money but never have any meaning full impact for any NHL team.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
nobody was going to trade kuzmenko coming off a 49 goal season, thats lunacy, Management would get demolished here

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't see it as coping, I see Canuck fans who don't care much for losing a late 1st, an exciting but not blue chip prospect and a bunch of meh excited that the team made a move and it's indicative of their philosophy that a lot of us agree with. Even though Lindholm hasn't been good, he was still the best option for the team at the time, who desperately needed another faceoff ace and right hand shot.

Mike Gillis had two President's Trophy winning teams in back to back years where the team kept their first round picks. It was extremely frustrating especially when the team's drafting was so terrible.
Giving away assets and not getting back what you paid for isn't good. I dont see the Canucks prospect pool being that great to begin with and this trade took another chunk out. It's going to be a lot of pressure to keep a reasonable defense core going and it just got harder. After Hughes and Hronek there are 3 or 4 defensemen that will need to be replace in the near future. I don't see losing the 1st and prospects for not much return as nothing.

The Canucks are going for it. They wanted to improve their line up and right now it looks like they could have done better for what they gave up. Maybe they could have given up less and got a better fit. The best player isn't always best for fit for the team. Maybe they shouldn't have gone so hard so early and waited for Guentzel. It's not just about being ok losing assets. It about improving the team and where they might have been able to do with those assets. Plenty of option that could improve the team at the TDL. I'm still not entirely writing Lindholm off as the best option.

If Lindholm flops maybe the Gillis theory was right. Its entirely possible the Canucks are good enough anyway. As we see every year at the TDL good players don't always fit in maybe even the majority of them.

Again, it's not over. The playoffs is all that matters.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If I'm Conroy, I try to trade Kuzmenko this summer. I don't think teams will take him without some retention.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's a wonder that the Flames aren't a SC contender having such an impactful player on their roster now eh?

Kuzmenko is a good fantasy hockey player if hits and blocks and +/- aren't categories he will score some points make some money but never have any meaning full impact for any NHL team.

It won't surprize me if he scores 30+ goals next season again.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Tocchet isn't the messiah, he can do things people disagree with despite being regarded as a good coach by the fanbase.
Who is the Messiah?

Also Lindholm is getting a lot of hate, he must have been injured this year usually he's very good at finishing plays he would excel on a team like Vancouver but maybe thats just not his role anymore

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm Conroy, I try to trade Kuzmenko this summer. I don't think teams will take him without some retention.
He's a 50% retained at the TDL next season for a 3rd type of player. You'd need to attach an asset to send him out a full money this offseason. Same with Mangiapane, although I think you get a 2nd for him at 50% at the TDL.

It won't surprize me if he scores 30+ goals next season again.
It wouldn't shock me. But he'll also get you scored on 40+ times unless you shelter him heavily. Not a good overall player, but has some skill.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Who is the Messiah?

Also Lindholm is getting a lot of hate, he must have been injured this year usually he's very good at finishing plays he would excel on a team like Vancouver but maybe thats just not his role anymore

JT Miller I guess? Bozo Messiah would make a great username. Quinn Hughes pretty much does no wrong though.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Lindholm is gonna look back and realize he f***ed himself out of millions by not signing that contract Calgary was willing to give him. I can't imagine him getting anything near that after these last two years.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Who is the Messiah?

Well Jesus was Jewish, and so is Quinn

• Wow
Reactions: Dirty Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad