Confirmed Trade: [VAN/CAR] Ethan Bear (18.2% retained) and Lane Pederson for 2023 5th round pick

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
yes i conceed. i apologize for having the audacity to have doubts. i now see the light. every move the canes make is 4d brilliance and their is no possibility they outsmarted themselves competitively trying to please their penny pinching owner to shed a meaningless buried contract for a player who was providing back up depth. they have the exact amount of perfect ahl depth and they will suffer no unexpected injuries or adversity on their inevitable march to the cup. they will never miss the $400k in cap space at the tdl as they have already checked with gms to determine what assets they might covet who may be available and they have all answered truthfully including their bottom line prices. there was never even a possibility a team would have taken bear on waivers anyway because the canes canvassed everyone and they all gave direct truthful answers and nobody could afford him anyway using ltir even though the team that acquired him used ltir.

i recall when canes fans were fun. now you guys are coming up fast on leaf fans for bloody minded obnoxious my shit never stinks self confidence. have a nice day and bless all your hearts.
Damn, that escalated fast....I believe what most Canes fans would admit is that the front office definitely outsmarted itself (or just made an error of judgement....hey, it happens) when they qualified Bear this Summer. Many of us felt that he should have been non-qualified.

None of that is as germane as the fact that Bear couldn't work his way into a roster spot. He wasn't able to keep his roster spot last season (granted Covid f***ed him up). In pre-season this year he was flat out horrible. In essence they paid Vancouver $400,000 worth of cap space to take him off of their hands. As I said, the pick and taking on Pederson's salary was a mini bonus.

It is also inarguable that there are better players, or at least players as good as Bear in Chicago playing for the Wolves who make less NHL money - guys like Lagesson, Lajoie, and even Anttoni Honka would adequately fill his slot. Whether or not he should have been put on waivers prior to this trade is certainly a valid question. But I'd be curious as to when the last time that a #8 or #9 defenseman with a $2.2 million salary was actually snagged off of waivers.

I'm sorry that you seem to be so butt-hurt that Canes fans might not just be okay with this nothing move, but actually are cheering it on. It gives Bear a chance at a fresh start and it gives the team additional flexibility.

Oh, one final thing, given that the last 2 Calder Cup champions were Carolina Hurricanes AHL affiliates, I'm pretty secure in our AHL depth (even if I wouldn't characterize it as perfect).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
1667331481407.gif

This, but instead of “practice” do “$400k and a nobody AHLer.”

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
yes i conceed. i apologize for having the audacity to have doubts. i now see the light. every move the canes make is 4d brilliance and their is no possibility they outsmarted themselves competitively trying to please their penny pinching owner to shed a meaningless buried contract for a player who was providing back up depth. they have the exact amount of perfect ahl depth and they will suffer no unexpected injuries or adversity on their inevitable march to the cup. they will never miss the $400k in cap space at the tdl as they have already checked with gms to determine what assets they might covet who may be available and they have all answered truthfully including their bottom line prices. there was never even a possibility a team would have taken bear on waivers anyway because the canes canvassed everyone and they all gave direct truthful answers and nobody could afford him anyway using ltir even though the team that acquired him used ltir.

i recall when canes fans were fun. now you guys are coming up fast on leaf fans for bloody minded obnoxious my shit never stinks self confidence. have a nice day and bless all your hearts.

You all heard it here Canes fans. If you don't agree with krutovsdonut on how vitally important retaining $400K is, you're no fun!

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Stoked to go to his first game tonight. I'd imagine he will be used sparingly, but will likely have a very high energy level.

Reactions: dogbazinho

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He just needs to be a bottom pair stop gap to help with injury relief

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How so? He would be a fine #6
His game is better suited to compliment skill. Bottom pairs generally compliment checking lines and that doesn't suit his game well at all.

He defends the NZ well through solid positioning and having a good stick. But he isn't a great net front presence and he can be prone to turnovers if he's pressured and/or doesn't have the easy options.

He was at his best in Edmonton on the top pair next to Nurse. He was at his best in Carolina paired with Slavin. When he fell on the depth chart, he fell out of favor.

Neither team did well in that trade.
Foegele is actually coming on in Edmonton and looks very effective on a third line the Oilers haven't had historically. Developing some chemistry with Ryan McLeod.

Reactions: Mr Positive

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bear looked very good tonight, especially considering it was his first game in over 6 months. Skated better then I remembered from Edmonton, moved the puck well, no issues defensively. Defended very well in a couple 1-on-1 situations.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think the Canucks have to be pretty happy with the early returns on this one. Bear has looked solid so far. Has made a few questionable plays, but is still finding his legs and rhythm with a new team.

Win-WIn-Win for all parties. Bear gets a chance on a weaker team that he would not get in Carolina, Carolina got the space they needed, and a late pick, Canucks got a Dman they desperately need.

He seems like a good kid, hope he continues to find some success.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the Canucks have to be pretty happy with the early returns on this one. Bear has looked solid so far. Has made a few questionable plays, but is still finding his legs and rhythm with a new team.

Win-WIn-Win for all parties. Bear gets a chance on a weaker team that he would not get in Carolina, Carolina got the space they needed, and a late pick, Canucks got a Dman they desperately need.

He seems like a good kid, hope he continues to find some success.
Bear is an easy guy to root for as he comes across as a very nice young man. Hopefully he does well for you guys except when he plays us ;)

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad