Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher [2 years/$2.325M AAV]

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hutton had an exciting rookie season, that's why there was hype. He never showed that he would be elite or anything, but it looked like he might develop into a solid two-way 2nd pair guy. He put up 25 points in 75 games and could skate, any fan-base would be excited about that.

Unfortunately his hockey IQ seems to get worse by the day, barely looks like an NHLer now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yea but Dmen take longer to develop and he was only in his 2nd NHL season last year.

I assume you watched his game so obviously you know it took a long time for Stecher to gain Green's trust. That's why his TOI was down for the first half of the season and his numbers were down from his rookie year. After Green realized this kid could play he was playing top-4 minutes and was often the Canucks' best Dman.

By default..... Tanev and Gudbranson out injured he's getting top 4 minutes since the two RS dman left standing are him and Biega.

I just don't see Stecher as a stop gap. I think he could be a good NHL Dman. Plus, other than Hughes the Canucks don't have many D prospects let alone young NHL Dmen

Looked like he might make a career as a journeyman based on last year. He's going to need to improve immensely to be in anyone's core.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yea but Dmen take longer to develop and he was only in his 2nd NHL season last year.

I assume you watched his game so obviously you know it took a long time for Stecher to gain Green's trust. That's why his TOI was down for the first half of the season and his numbers were down from his rookie year. After Green realized this kid could play he was playing top-4 minutes and was often the Canucks' best Dman.

I just don't see Stecher as a stop gap. I think he could be a good NHL Dman. Plus, other than Hughes the Canucks don't have many D prospects let alone young NHL Dmen

Green didn't have much of a choice as well because Tanev and Gudbranson missed a lot of games.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am ok with this deal. I do find Stecher a little overrated at times but he still a solid number 5 and can play in the top 4 when they are injuries. But I don't see him as permanent solution in the top 4.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The deal is perfectly reasonable. His offensive numbers dropped because he wasn't being used on the PP as much, but he improved his defensive game. He doubled his hits, upped his shot blocks, and reduced his giveaways. If you watch him play, he's a competitor.

People have to re-calibrate what's reasonable. With the increase in the salary cap over the years, the average salary is 3 million plus now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The deal is perfectly reasonable. His offensive numbers dropped because he wasn't being used on the PP as much, but he improved his defensive game. He doubled his hits, upped his shot blocks, and reduced his giveaways. If you watch him play, he's a competitor.

People have to re-calibrate what's reasonable. With the increase in the salary cap over the years, the average salary is 3 million plus now.

Less than Ryan Pulock seems reasonable considering he is a small, 11 point dman who was picked uo for his offensive game. #6/#7 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad