Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks re-sign Troy Stecher [2 years/$2.325M AAV]

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Makes me feel better about Matt Benning’s deal.

2.3 and change seems like a good bit for someone who didn’t have a very good season last year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is this the guy that was super overrated by Canucks fans when he came in the league, or am I thinking of someone else?

Reactions: BM14

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Kind of expensive isn't it? I thought 2.325M was the total lol

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
based on his minutes and performance the arb would have been closer to Hutton's number at 2.8 , he was getting 20 minutes at the end of last year and wasnt looking out of place. 2.3 decent for a guy that is motivated and has a lot of heart and work ethic.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Benning ****s up another one...

Nope. The cap hit is fairly reasonable and he had a bit of leverage through arbitration when you look at some of the comparable salary awards recently.

He's somewhat undersized but his underlying stats aren't bad at all. He's shown some promise and this deal allows him to show us what he's got and prove that he can develop into a reliable defenseman. This is a million miles away from the disaster that you're trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant believe the guys that are getting 2+ mill per year this offseason

This is getting ridiculous

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He is one of the young D prospects. Was a sophomore last season.

Stecher is 24, he's no spring chicken by developmental standards.

He's also an offensive defenseman with a muffin of a shot and average to weak defensive abilities. Unless he takes several steps forward in these two years he will eventually be made expendable by Hughes who plays the same game with 10x the skill level.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Only idiotic fan bickering on here would suggest any of these guys were really being overrated in some erroneous way, but you're probably thinking about Ben Hutton.

Yea Hutton was the overrated one

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Stecher is 24, he's no spring chicken by developmental standards.

He's also an offensive defenseman with a muffin of a shot and average to weak defensive abilities. Unless he takes several steps forward in these two years he will eventually be made expendable by Hughes who plays the same game with 10x the skill level.

Yea but Dmen take longer to develop and he was only in his 2nd NHL season last year.

I assume you watched his game so obviously you know it took a long time for Stecher to gain Green's trust. That's why his TOI was down for the first half of the season and his numbers were down from his rookie year. After Green realized this kid could play he was playing top-4 minutes and was often the Canucks' best Dman.

I just don't see Stecher as a stop gap. I think he could be a good NHL Dman. Plus, other than Hughes the Canucks don't have many D prospects let alone young NHL Dmen

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Is this the guy that was super overrated by Canucks fans when he came in the league, or am I thinking of someone else?

You mean how he was an overrated college free agent that Canucks fans were excited about after they signed him?

Yeah, it's not like that ever happens or anything

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like Stecher. Pretty smart player with a lot of heart and enough skill to move the puck effectively. Should be a decent long-term bottom four guy for the Canucks.

Seems to me that nobody ever talks about Stecher. Hutton got a bit of hype there for a while, might be him that you are thinking about.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad