Proposal: Van-Bos-Edm-Ottawa

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A 4 way change of scenery trade. Has this ever even happened before? Sometimes you trade to fill a need or even just to give the player being shown the door a new lease on life. My main thought behind this is I believe each player would produce better with the posted team over their current clubs.

Edmonton : Backes
Moves on for the mistake Chia made attempting to replace Hall sending Lucic home, while adding a veteran 3rd line center . Added cost to move on from Lucic is 2019 2nd and obviously taking Backes contract.

Vancouver: Lucic + Edm 2nd
Home team boy, physical presence for Petterson/Boeser/etc. Picks up another good pick. The cap is a wash, Lucic extra year gains Vancouver Edm 2019 2nd.

Boston : Ryan
RW for the second line. Should provide a slight bump in offence over Backes. I believe Ryan's contract expires before Backes adding a future bonus cap savings.

Ottawa : Eriksson ($1 million retention)
Saves 2 million per. It's all about saving dollars.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
How are the Loui/Milan contracts a wash? Retaining $1mil plus an extra year for Lucic

I added the retention at the end, so I missed fixing that in the comments. The addition of Edmonton's 2nd was for the extra year. I was going to mention that in the last years of Lucic contract the cap hit is $6mil per but the money out is only $4.5mil per

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So we waste a retention spot for another 3 years for a second round pick and a player that's not performing as well?

I'll pass, thanks though.

Reactions: travis scott

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I could see the Sens trading Ryan and a decent piece for Eriksson after their bonuses are paid out (2.0mil and 4.0mil, respectively).

At that point, Eriksson will be owed 9mil over three years with a 6m caphit.

Ryan would be owed 20.5mil over three years with a 7.25m caphit.

I wouldn't do it, because Ryan is the better player imo, but I'm not the guy who would save a bunch of money.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This is a 4-way proposal that's disturbingly good for all parties. Vancouver would be the toughest sell, but getting the pick and getting a hometown player might sweeten the pot for them.

Sens get what they need (dumping salary), Oilers get what they need (free of Lucic + a clubhouse leader in Backes), Bruins get an intriguing piece (is Ryan washed up or if they put him with Krejci/Debrusk instead of the Sens linemates he's had the last few years, will his numbers increase?).

Reactions: PeanutButter37

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
A 4 way change of scenery trade. Has this ever even happened before? Sometimes you trade to fill a need or even just to give the player being shown the door a new lease on life. My main thought behind this is I believe each player would produce better with the posted team over their current clubs.

Edmonton : Backes
Moves on for the mistake Chia made attempting to replace Hall sending Lucic home, while adding a veteran 3rd line center . Added cost to move on from Lucic is 2019 2nd and obviously taking Backes contract.

Vancouver: Lucic + Edm 2nd
Home team boy, physical presence for Petterson/Boeser/etc. Picks up another good pick. The cap is a wash, Lucic extra year gains Vancouver Edm 2019 2nd.

Boston : Ryan
RW for the second line. Should provide a slight bump in offence over Backes. I believe Ryan's contract expires before Backes adding a future bonus cap savings.

Ottawa : Eriksson ($1 million retention)
Saves 2 million per. It's all about saving dollars.
:laugh:

So we retain retain $1 million on Eriksson, end up with an even worse contract for a worse player, and all we get is a 2nd round pick? What an awful trade for the Canucks. Take out the retention from the Canucks and add a 1st round pick going to them. Either that or retain 50% on Lucic.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I added the retention at the end, so I missed fixing that in the comments. The addition of Edmonton's 2nd was for the extra year. I was going to mention that in the last years of Lucic contract the cap hit is $6mil per but the money out is only $4.5mil per
Canucks don’t give a shit about the actual dollars, our owner has been paying to the cap maximum while we have been bottom feeders.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a 4-way proposal that's disturbingly good for all parties. Vancouver would be the toughest sell, but getting the pick and getting a hometown player might sweeten the pot for them.

Sens get what they need (dumping salary), Oilers get what they need (free of Lucic + a clubhouse leader in Backes), Bruins get an intriguing piece (is Ryan washed up or if they put him with Krejci/Debrusk instead of the Sens linemates he's had the last few years, will his numbers increase?).

Ryan has a NMC with an expansion draft looming. Backes will be a UFA when the expansion draft hits. Disaster for Boston.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Oilers and Sens make out like bandits here

Ottawa would have to retane on Ryan 25% and the Oilers would have to retane 15% on Lucic, cancel out Vancitys retention and is more reasonable

Edmonton:

In: Backes, 15% on Lucic
Out: Lucic, 2nd rd pick

Ottawa:

In: Eriksson, 25% on Ryan
Out: Ryan

Vancouver:

In: Lucic at 85%, Edm 2nd rd pick
Out: Eriksson

Boston:

In: Ryan at 75%
Out: Backes

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan has a NMC with an expansion draft looming. Backes will be a UFA when the expansion draft hits. Disaster for Boston.

He's got a modified NMC, which is only important because he actually won't need to be protected in expansion (didn't need to be protected int he Vegas expansion draft).

Anyways, not sure I'd do it as a Senators fan given that Ryan is probably the best player of the four, but I could understand why Eugene would do it (he's traded away better players over less money before).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's got a modified NMC, which is only important because he actually won't need to be protected in expansion (didn't need to be protected int he Vegas expansion draft).

Anyways, not sure I'd do it as a Senators fan given that Ryan is probably the best player of the four, but I could understand why Eugene would do it (he's traded away better players over less money before).

Thats interesting! So he just can't be buried in minors, but can be left exposed.

Regardless, don't see Boston doing it.

Ryan has 3.5 years left, Backes has 2.5.

Backes on 7/1 moves to limited NTC AND his REAL SALARY is 2x2.5 after the Bruins pay his bonus. Should be easy to move to a non-cap team so they can spend the cap space more wisely. Just no need to take on Ryan.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Eh, Ryan has one additional season and is paid $1,250,000 more per season than Backes.

This is a salt the earth no from the Bruins.

I can completely see why Bruins would not do this trade, but I like Ryan and I just want to point out that he's been solid this year, scoring at a 50+ point pace despite playing a checking role + PP.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Not a terrible idea, obviously not likely to ever happen but I'd pass for the Canucks. That extra year is a tough selling point on Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad