Confirmed with Link: [VAN/AZ] 9th OA, 2022 2nd, 2023 7th, Roussel, Beagle, and Eriksson for OEL (12% ret) and Garland

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Based on he had zero talent around him to work with. He’s going to a team that, by his own words, are a few steps up from Arizona.

Current ownership and the front office are making all the right moves now. I’m encouraged by it.

The shit shows of past front offices/ownerships kept the team from really going to where they needed to be. OEL’s comments refer directly to that.
Uhhhh, ok. I think you’re reading into what you want to read into it…not based on anything he actually said.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My favorite memory of OeL is seeing him in a wjc pretournament game in Regina right after we drafted him and coming on here and proclaiming him as ready to take a top 4 position that day for the Coyotes. He was great. Rundblad was a disaster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’s only a bad contract if he actually had talented players around him and put up the same numbers.

You can totally read between the lines on his comments below about Arizona and the constant dysfunction of the past few seasons.

He should be proud, the organization not so much. Let's not kid our self this this organization has been a shit show the last number of years and it remains to be seen if it continues or not. The Arizona fans deserve better and so does OEL. Best of luck to OEL and Garland.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
My favorite memory of OeL is seeing him in a wjc pretournament game in Regina right after we drafted him and coming on here and proclaiming him as ready to take a top 4 position that day for the Coyotes. He was great. Rundblad was a disaster.
You batting .500 that day??? Jesus I went to every game in Saskatoon and can recall almost nothing???

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Based on he had zero talent around him to work with. He’s going to a team that, by his own words, are a few steps up from Arizona.

Current ownership and the front office are making all the right moves now. I’m encouraged by it.

The shit shows of past front offices/ownerships kept the team from really going to where they needed to be. OEL’s comments refer directly to that.
Hit the nail on the head.:thumbu:

Reactions: Dolemite

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He’s Never going to say that publicly. Rich Nairn (EVP of Coyotes PR) taught him well.
Fair, but when you say something like read between the lines you kind of imply there's something deeper to read into what's being said. Seems more like a standard post trade interview and you know from your past that he's tired of the organization. I don't really see what the relevance of the interview is.

Unrelated, but I think OEL will bounce back to a top pairing defenseman. I don't think his shot is ever coming back sadly, and his foot speed is never going to be what it was, but he's still got a lot of skill.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Fair, but when you say something like read between the lines you kind of imply there's something deeper to read into what's being said. Seems more like a standard post trade interview and you know from your past that he's tired of the organization. I don't really see what the relevance of the interview is.

Unrelated, but I think OEL will bounce back to a top pairing defenseman. I don't think his shot is ever coming back sadly, and his foot speed is never going to be what it was, but he's still got a lot of skill.

I’m actually reserving judgment on your last paragraph until the end of the season. The Canucks have an excellent support staff and have for many, many years.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I’m actually reserving judgment on your last paragraph until the end of the season. The Canucks have an excellent support staff and have for many, many years.

Yeah and it shows in all the results they’ve gotten with their great support staff and team of vastly superior talent…oh wait….

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah and it shows in all the results they’ve gotten with their great support staff and team of vastly superior talent…oh wait….
I don't think Coyote fans have a leg to stand on when putting down other organizations and players. We have been the ultimate shit show for years. Hopefully, with AM as owner and GMBA will prove he was the right hire there will be brighter days ahead. "Brighter days ahead". If I had a dollar for every time I said that I think I would be a millionaire.:)

Reactions: RemoAZ

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
You didn't cover anything. You somehow got a press pass because of some wordpress level site you made covering AZ related things and then it was quickly revoked when they realized how fly by night it all was.

Yeah because I funded my own site and built it from nothing to 500k unique Visitors a month. Yandle nicknamed me ‘Shoestring’ as that was my operating budget. And no, I realized that NHL National coverage got more traffic.

(Insert Bart Simpson ‘At least you tried’ meme here).

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Very easy answer - Armstrong needed to give the roster a season to show him what they had. I would respect him a whole lot less if he had come in and just burned everything down sight unseen. As it was, the core roster had a season to provide an argument for why they should stay. Based on how they played, can you blame Armstrong for how he's proceeding?
BA could have watched tons of film, he could have fired RT, what is or was there to evaluate really? Why would anyone think a year ago we don't need a total rebuild but we do now? What changed? Nothing other than we wasted a year. I feel like he waited with his fingers crossed and now has changed course for a scorched earth. I don't disagree with his strategy, just don't get why he waited a year to start it.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
BA could have watched tons of film, he could have fired RT, what is or was there to evaluate really? Why would anyone think a year ago we don't need a total rebuild but we do now? What changed? Nothing other than we wasted a year. I feel like he waited with his fingers crossed and now has changed course for a scorched earth. I don't disagree with his strategy, just don't get why he waited a year to start it.

Armstrong was hired in the middle of September during an offseason when Covid still brought a lot of uncertainty. The 2020 Draft happened in early October with a staff he wasn't familiar with at the time. Are you honestly questioning why he didn't blow it up then? I thought he should have sold off some of our vets at the trade deadline like a lot of people, but questioning his previous offseason is a little extreme. Considering the circumstances of Chayka walking away when he did and the bubble playoffs that the Coyotes were a part of before Armstrong got hired, I can't see what else he could have done differently at the time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So his struggles started when RT arrives.... interesting.

His third best year was Tocchet's first. I think it's more Housley. His first sub replacement season on defense was Tippett's last. Injuries, off ice stuff, and the captaincy really weighed him down.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
His third best year was Tocchet's first. I think it's more Housley. His first sub replacement season on defense was Tippett's last. Injuries, off ice stuff, and the captaincy really weighed him down.

I think he'll rebound in Vancouver.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
BA could have watched tons of film, he could have fired RT, what is or was there to evaluate really?

Film is not real life.

He needed a season to see how people interacted. While we were all blaming Tocchet on this forum, the rest of the hockey world was saying it was our roster's fault for not having the skill or drive. Armstrong had to see for himself what was going on first-hand, and he needed to see it over time to make sure he didn't act on a small sample size. You know as a business owner that you can't make snap decisions made on hearsay if you want your business to succeed.

His patience may have annoyed us as fans, but it allowed him to see why OEL needed to be traded even after Tocchet left; why it wasn't enough just to get a new coach; why it was worth dismantling the old core to get future assets rather than try and adapt around the existing players; etc.

As I've said a few times already, it was good asset management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad