Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
No, odds are there won't be any. Or if there are, they'll be latter round flukes because no one's been properly scouted and barely anyone under the age of 20 played hockey last year.

This post will not age well.

A whole draft class is not going to go poof into thin air because some of them played a little less than usual.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
You know that injuries are a thing and there are plenty of kids that gets injured in junior missing majority of the season still end up being NHLers right? With your logic, any kids that miss majority of their seasons through injury will bust.

An individual player getting injured is not even remotely comparable to an entire hockey program shutting down operations for a whole year.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Please,

Try and justify this trade?
If you ignore the fact we got OEL, it’s a pretty fair trade actually and one that I would support (lobbied for a trade like this sans-OEL)

OEL is a huge negative value asset that is either exactly what he’s shown to be or has been hiding the fact he’s a top pair D for a half decade now. My assumption is the former is the likely outcome.

My prayers are the latter comes true.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If you ignore the fact we got OEL, it’s a pretty fair trade actually and one that I support.

OEL is a huge negative value asset that is either exactly what he’s shown to be or has been hiding the fact he’s a top pair D for a half decade now. My assumption is the former is the likely outcome.

My prayers are the latter comes true.

I grew up a Canucks fan and when I had the opportunity to go the NHL media route I covered the Coyotes because I couldn’t be objective about covering the Canucks. I interviewed OEL at his rookie camp and his pre draft billing was a Lidstrom type of player.

However, he dealt with constant organizational dysfunction for years with the team and never had solid players to pair up with when he moved to first pair. He needed out of Arizona.

His potential is a solid D almost Salo-esque (without Salo’s cannon point shot) as long as Benning puts good players around him.

That said, Vancouver no longer has dead weight on their payroll.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I already did. Go back and read it again.
You didnt.

Youre making the claim the downside risk to the Canucks is more than the upside risk.

All team face the risk.

The risk is in the picking of a player not in the actual players performace. Players performance in the long run is NOT determined by anyones knowledge about them at draft time.

You could reason your argument using example of where players lost development time etc or where players were "unscoutable".

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I grew up a Canucks fan and when I had the opportunity to go the NHL media route I covered the Coyotes because I couldn’t be objective about covering the Canucks. I interviewed OEL at his rookie camp and his pre draft billing was a Lidstrom type of player.

However, he dealt with constant organizational dysfunction for years with the team and never had solid players to pair up with when he moved to first pair. He needed out of Arizona.

His potential is a solid D almost Salo-esque (without Salo’s cannon point shot) as long as Benning puts good players around him.

Always wondered why you don’t post here anymore, welcome back.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Holtby 4.3M
Virtanen 2.5M
Pearson 3.25M
Luongo 3M

On the verge of becoming dead weight:
OEL: 7.25M
Myers: 6M

Awaiting an overpayment on their next contract:
Dickinson
Sutter
Hamonic

Reactions: J Corso

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
See guys OEL was mailing it in bc he was stuck playing for a coach who didn't use him properly. He felt too much pressure to be a leader on a team without any quality veterans to help shoulder the load. Those won't be problems here.

How the heck could anyone want a player that quits on his team cause he’s mentally fragile???

add to it the terrible contract and terrible production and people are happy we got him?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You know that injuries are a thing and there are plenty of kids that gets injured in junior missing majority of the season still end up being NHLers right? With your logic, any kids that miss majority of their seasons through injury will bust.
Exactly.

And unlike injuries players arent barred from working out, keeping fit etc and will not have some sort of long lasting physical issue to overcome/battle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, odds are there won't be any. Or if there are, they'll be latter round flukes because no one's been properly scouted and barely anyone under the age of 20 played hockey last year.

Understand something here: Not just Major Junior but ALL minor hockey everywhere has just lost an entire year of development, training, and coaching. The ramifications of this will echo for an entire generation.

So trading picks is the smart play. You're turning unknowns into knowns. That's something every GM strives for.

This is just blatantly untrue.

All European and US junior leagues basically continued last year as normal. The only disrupted area was the CHL.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
How the heck could anyone want a player that quits on his team cause he’s mentally fragile???

add to it the terrible contract and terrible production and people are happy we got him?
Imagine a shift where both OEL and JT Miller mail it it...

The look on Holtbys face.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Okay, let me reply to each them in turn.
This isn't absolute.
Because it's not hurting the cap. Maybe at some point in the future it will become a problem, but it's not right now.
Yeah, these aren't counter-arguments. You're not backing up what you're saying.

Garland is a good player and we got him for nothing.
The picks are worthless for reasons I already explained.

So you essentially agree with me, then.

Benning, but so what. Every player's deal expires sooner or later. We don't get him forever. Today's trade wasn't on Benning's mind when Boeser was signed.

The ones playing in Abbotsford.

I'm not even sure what you're complaining about here.

Then call me troll and go away. Save us both some time and grief.

I didn't call you a Troll. I said I wasn't sure if you were being genuine with your post. Now, I see that you are, so let's discuss.

To respond:

1. Probability, not possibility.

2. Isn't this the same type of thinking that had the Canucks desperate to move Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel now? Cap is not important now, so it's not a problem in the future... until it is, at which point it becomes a huge problem. Then you make a very bad deal to fix that problem.

3 and 4. Well, the burden of proof isn't on me here. Your claim here is that Garland is worth the 9th, and the picks are selectively worthless this year. These are wild claims that have not been substantiated in any way. So I would ask: What's your homework on this? On either one?

5. You're using mental gymnastics, as in, illogical rationale to justify bad moves over Benning going to FA. Where is the agreement? We do not agree.

6. On Boeser: You don't think it was short-sighted for Benning to sign Boeser to a bridge deal that ended the same year as Horvat's deal?

7. Which prospects are you referring to? Give me names and a rationale. I ask you because I know the pool is barren.

8. The presence of the Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel contracts is not a poison pill only now, they've been that for years. And so, did they stop prospect development for years? Or was the fear that they were stopping development of prospects for this year? Seems a bit simplistic to say that they had to be gone this year as opposed to any year prior. The right move was to let the contracts run out for 1 year. Short term pain for long-term gain.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I honestly think Benning and the Canucks are far from done.....still the possibility that the contracts for Schmidt, Virtanen and Holtby come off the books this off-season. That represents another $14m under the cap.

And with the exception of Virtanen, it appears that Schmidt and Holtby actually have some trade value around the league.

I mean just spit-ballin' here....but what if they traded those guys for picks, and then went out and signed UFA's like Gabriel Landeskog and Dougie Hamilton?

Well as a Canuck fan you can dream, right?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm off to watch the Olympics so final word: I'm no Benning apologist. He has made some serious bone-headed moves in his day.

But today is not one of them.

You clearly are; a quick look at your post history (which we can all see) shows all your canuck posts as defending benning

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad