Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ANA] Canucks Acquire 2016 2nd-Round Pick for D Kevin Bieksa

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'd like to see a Boston style reload next year with Vrbata and Hamhuis unloaded for firsts.

Three 1st round picks would be a godsend.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
I'd like to see a Boston style reload next year with Vrbata and Hamhuis unloaded for firsts.

Three 1st round picks would be a godsend.

As long as we dont see Boston like selections...

I know it's early but they could have got Barzel and Connor and then traded for a late first + 2nd and picked up Senyshyn and another decent prospect. It would have been more risk, but overall a better return.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
As long as we dont see Boston like selections...

I know it's early but they could have got Barzel and Connor and then traded for a late first + 2nd and picked up Senyshyn and another decent prospect. It would have been more risk, but overall a better return.

If we have that many picks I would hope we move up to get a franchise player.

All in for Chychrun. Even if it takes a load of picks it's worth it.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Gets us back a pick within 15 spots of the one we've given up for Pedan. At the moment we have:

1st
2nd
2nd (ANA)
4th
5th
6th
7th
7th (CAR)

Would like to see another 2 or 3 top 90 picks by the draft next year which I think is achievable.
Should be doable if we move Higgins, hamhuis, vrbata, etc.....
Also burrows might wanna move now that kes, juice, lu etc... Are all gone
Giving sbisa plenty of ice time as well as keeping vey on the #1 pp should help us draft high lol

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Should be doable if we move Higgins, hamhuis, vrbata, etc.....
Also burrows might wanna move now that kes, juice, lu etc... Are all gone
Giving sbisa plenty of ice time as well as keeping vey on the #1 pp should help us draft high lol

Ryan Miller in net to give us a .910 sv%
Sbisa playing 20 minutes a night
a defense that is one injury away from Sbisa playing 25 minutes a night
Vey taking a regular shift
Higgins and Burrows around most of the season to play top 6 minutes and play on the 2nd PP unit.
No toughness leaving teams the ability to take liberties with our players

I think there is a very good chance we will be drafting high.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Ryan Miller in net to give us a .910 sv%
Sbisa playing 20 minutes a night
a defense that is one injury away from Sbisa playing 25 minutes a night
Vey taking a regular shift
Higgins and Burrows around most of the season to play top 6 minutes and play on the 2nd PP unit.
No toughness leaving teams the ability to take liberties with our players

I think there is a very good chance we will be drafting high.

How ling till Miller gets injured and we rely on Markstrom for everything...

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
How ling till Miller gets injured and we rely on Markstrom for everything...

wouldn't be the worst outcome. We need to find out if Markstrom is a capable NHL starter within the next two seasons.

To me this season should be all about finding what we have, what we need, and trading older declining assets. Give Horvat, Kassian, Baertschi, Corrado, Markstrom, etc bigger roles and let them sink or swim. By the end of the year hopefully we have an idea of these players potential and what holes this roster has moving forward. The most important questions to be answered this season are the following.

Are Kassian and Baertschi Top 6 forwards?
Does Bo have the potential to be more than an elite 2nd line center(aka does he take that next jump in his development)?
Is Corrado an NHL defenseman and if so does he have Top 4 potential?
Is Markstrom an NHL goalie and if so does he have starter potential?
Are any of our young prospects close to playing nhl games? and if so which ones can potentially be core pieces?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How do you ruin a goalie with a SV% under .900 in the past three seasons? I guess the good news is that he can't really get any worse in the NHL.

Well ideally you want to give a mix of easy starts and some tougher ones to build his confidence. The same way we built Schneider.
I am not sure if he is confident enough to take over if Miller goes down. Plus, our D is trash next year, if he takes over he is going to seriously peppered and not sure that is the best way to groom a goalie.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm sure it would have been less if he stayed here, but that number makes me more comfortable with moving on. I would have signed him for no more than $2M per year on his next contract.

Yeah that's basically Top 4 money. We already have one bottom pairing defenseman making too much money....we don't need another one.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
LOL. 4 mill for Juice. Good riddance. Man, Ducks fans are going to flip out when they see him play. :biglaugh:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Flip out like the way we do when we see Sbisa play?

Yeah....this feels a little like pay back.

But hey, I'd trade Sbisa at $3.6M straight up for Bieksa at at $4M. Problem is the Ducks wouldn't do it.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I would much rather recoup a 2nd Rd pick for Bieksa and open up $4.6mil of cap space the day before free agency opens.

I think people have already discussed this, but I don't understand this philosophy of "rather sign a player for X and trade a player for Y" when the latter player is clearly inferior to the former player. I suppose this philosophy is great if you are intentionally tanking because it accomplishes two things at once, but if you are trying to remain competition, which Benning has asserted, then this philosophy isn't going to work.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So they held out for this? Really ?? All the negative media and they end up with a worse deal?

Some fans can never be happy even with moving out a 4.6 million liability from last season for a 2nd round pick.

Doug Wilson is a complete turd to negotiate with, well known around NHL circles. Its worth a few draft slots not to let him get a player he wanted.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'd much rather pay Bieksa 2 million more than he is worth than Sbisa 3 million more than he is worth.

As much as I question the contract and despite the fact that Sbisa is basically the biggest whipping boy in Canuck history...I am going to predict he plays better hockey than Kevin Bieksa next year.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think people have already discussed this, but I don't understand this philosophy of "rather sign a player for X and trade a player for Y" when the latter player is clearly inferior to the former player. I suppose this philosophy is great if you are intentionally tanking because it accomplishes two things at once, but if you are trying to remain competition, which Benning has asserted, then this philosophy isn't going to work.

In 1 year, Benning has traded 4 veteran, core players with a 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd Rd pick coming back.

I don't really care what he says - his moves show his objective is to stock the pipeline with talented youth.

They may hope to make the playoffs with this approach, but that's what we hear from pretty much all re-tooling clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad