Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ANA] Canucks Acquire 2016 2nd-Round Pick for D Kevin Bieksa

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If for whatever reason that doesn't work, the masses will find some other player to microanalyze and tear apart....it's what is done in Vancouver for hockey.

It's what is done in every hockey market, every sporting market on the planet. There is always a scapegoat. We aren't the only ones who do this. Go read other teams' boards.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I assume you were talking about benning....but it feels like we are just getting started....

no but he's done a good job of systematically annihilating any positive feelings i had for the team and i preferred the good old days when i liked the team versus hated it so i dislike him and want him gone. i think this is fair

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
That learning curve can start looking like a curve instead of a flatline any time now. Aaaaaaaaaany time.

And sorry to see Juice go, but I think we all knew it was time.

Great warrior for us, loyal soldier, and dear holy ****. It just occurred to me we now have cap space, and it's Free Agent Frenzy tomorrow. I'm scared.

Agreed, the juice is past its expiry date. It was time to get a return.

Oddly enough Im most excited about trade deadline day with so many expiring contracts on decent value players. Hopefully lessons have been learned in trading..

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I have some mixed feelings on this trade. I think Bieksa became under-appreciated by this fanbase. I think he was better than he was given credit for, brought a lot of grit on the backend and was a good leader for this club.

Yes, he's on the downswing of his career and he's not the top four defenseman he once was. But I'm concerned by the lack of grit and leadership on this team now. Happy to get an asset for him and happy to see him go to a better team. But we're in for some struggles and I think Bieksa will change some minds with his play for the Ducks next year.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Good on Bieksa. If he has a great season with the ducks then awesome. We are in no place to contend and if our guys have a chance to go win then I'm happy for them. His value to us now and going forward was what we got. It is a gamble to ask a guy to waive his ntc at the deadline.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Anaheim signs Ehrhoff, Torres and Hodgson.

Anaheim then trades what ever futures for the Sedins' at 50% retained.

Anaheim also picks up Luongo for a pittance.

The Ducks officially change their name to the "Anaheim 2011 Canucks".

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Good riddance. Thanks for the memories and bye,bye. By the TDL at the latest I'm hoping Benning starts flipping the older core for draft picks. Don't pick up some fancy FA in the next few days. Promote from within and start the rebuild. Get on with it. We can suffer some lean years.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I'm surprised that it was a Western Conference team that picked up Kevin Bieksa. I was starting to think that he'd be a candidate for a buy out or salary dump. To get anything of value is pretty fantastic. I'm also glad that he'll have a chance to win after serving so much time here and being pretty good about $$$. You would figure the teams that got to watch him more would realize how past it he is.

This trade is another reason why the NHL is weird and rely on reputation more than any of the other professional sport leagues when it comes to value. Vancouver probably had 8-9 guys in the system that were better than Bieksa. I'm also sure there a bunch of waiver wire guys they could've picked up to replicate what he did.

His performance against Calgary was one of the worst I've ever seen. Just horrible.

Although it's pretty pathetic how Benning reportedly handled all of this with San Jose.

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
We all get it, he's past his prime, has been terrible as of late, needed to be traded blah blah, but there hasn't been a better character guy on this team in years, show some respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Am I the only one that noticed the spelling mistake?

The 'aquire' instead of 'acquire'?

It's still better than a bunch of people still adding an extra 'n' in Clendening's name.

Seriously....HF Vancouver can spell Baertschi just fine, but not Clendening. ;)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If for whatever reason that doesn't work, the masses will find some other player to microanalyze and tear apart....it's what is done in Vancouver for hockey.

The masses?

Must be tough belonging to that educated few, who who seek only harmony in the universe, looking down at us grubby urchins finding fault with some of Benning's boneheaded moves.

Don't think it takes "microanalyzing" to criticize some of what is going on here. Maybe just common sense.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
i'm only 'meh' on the transaction, but to those that love the move...if it's a better return than 'many' expected, how low did you think bieksa's value was? if he was made available at last year's trade deadline he'd be among the top valued d-men...

benning set the price at a 2nd round pick and received a pick that will almost certainly be at the very bottom of the 2nd round :huh:

If you set a really low bar you can't ever really get that disappointed. Why aim high when you can aim low and achieve slightly less?

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Only? They're moving Bieksa to get another high pick, which is imperative to speed up a re-build or re-tool.

You don't make this move just to open up cap space, you do it to add another lottery ticket at the draft.

It would have been sickening if he didn't make this deal.

Too bad he didn't see what a lot of us saw in March, that the team was past it's best before date, and moved a few vets, promoted some young guys, and got the picks when the value was better. Again, a C+ for effort, D for asset management...

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Too bad he didn't see what a lot of us saw in March, that the team was past it's best before date, and moved a few vets, promoted some young guys, and got the picks when the value was better. Again, a C+ for effort, D for asset management...

Haha, move vets when you're in a playoff spot? Yeah, spit in the faces of all the season ticket holders and fans. Not like they are trying to run a business or anything.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have some mixed feelings on this trade. I think Bieksa became under-appreciated by this fanbase. I think he was better than he was given credit for, brought a lot of grit on the backend and was a good leader for this club.

Yes, he's on the downswing of his career and he's not the top four defenseman he once was. But I'm concerned by the lack of grit and leadership on this team now. Happy to get an asset for him and happy to see him go to a better team. But we're in for some struggles and I think Bieksa will change some minds with his play for the Ducks next year.

Like Jovanovski, Bieska's career has been marred by injuries and inconsistencies. At their best, there are few defensemen you would rather want on you team. At their worse they are pretty much pylons. Lots of props to Bieksa for wanting to go down with the ship. Not that Benning had a choice, but it sounds like Benning worked with Bieksa and traded him to a team Bieksa was willing to be traded to.

I am not too worried about the leadership on the team. Bieksa's absence is a blow as he was a different type of leader from the Sedins. But the Canucks are very much the Sedins' team and there are still leaders on the team. Hamhuis is still here to serve as the veteran presence on defense.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sad to see Bieksa go, but this is a great trade for the Canucks. I'm really surprised that multiple teams out there were willing to take on Bieksa's contract in its entirety.

Will be interesting to see what Benning does with the new found cap space. My best guess is that he'll take a major run at Cody Franson (I'm not sure whether this is good or but, I'm undecided), but it's good to see us getting younger and catering to our next core.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I'm really surprised that multiple teams out there were willing to take on Bieksa's contract in its entirety.

Bieksa has a good contract.

Fans on this board have been unfair to Bieksa for years now. But it isn't just canucks fans. Fans in general have low tolerance for offensive D-men because they only remember the mistakes, and forget every good play created by them.

An offensive D-man's game is risk+ reward. It is easy to only see the risks and forget the rewards. When I check other teams' boards I often see fans complaining about their offensive dmen in the same way.

This team just got weaker. Bieksa was one of the guys that got teammates motivated on the ice, and one of the very few who stuck up for teammates. I expect we'll miss the playoffs next year due mainly to this trade.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Bieksa has a good contract.

Fans on this board have been unfair to Bieksa for years now. But it isn't just canucks fans. Fans in general have low tolerance for offensive D-men because they only remember the mistakes, and forget every good play created by them.

An offensive D-man's game is risk+ reward. It is easy to only see the risks and forget the rewards. When I check other teams' boards I often see fans complaining about their offensive dmen in the same way.

This team just got weaker. Bieksa was one of the guys that got teammates motivated on the ice, and one of the very few who stuck up for teammates. I expect we'll miss the playoffs next year due mainly to this trade.

I see what you're saying, and you make good points about the nature of offensive defensemen, but I don't think 4.6 million (cap hit) on a declining 34 year old hockey player is the most efficient way to use your cap. In the Canucks' case, we need to start bringing in young players that will cater to our new core (Horvat, et al), as opposed to the present Sedin core.

It will be interesting to see what we do this summer with this freed up cap space. My best guess is that we take a major run at Cody Franson.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Gets us back a pick within 15 spots of the one we've given up for Pedan. At the moment we have:

1st
2nd
2nd (ANA)
4th
5th
6th
7th
7th (CAR)

Would like to see another 2 or 3 top 90 picks by the draft next year which I think is achievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad