Post-Game Talk: VAN 5, CHI 4 (OT): Told them to win and they actually did it.. the absolute madman!

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It's worse when you look at the goal scorers. Literally, nothing feels good about this. Like Horvat couldn't even get a point or 2. At least give us that.

Heh, what on earth? what matters if it's horvat our another player? I would like horvat to score as well, but I don't begrudge other players scoring....

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
WRONG?!!

This place has become a madhouse!

"Canuck fans" actively cheering against Canucks in a GDT!!

Something... is "wrong".
Canuck fans are supposed to hate the Hawks forever (just like Burrows).
Canucks stole a win in the Windy City, be happy.

I agree always cheering for a win against chicago.

I can stand them.

But still every other game for the rest of the year i hope they lose.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Heh, what on earth? what matters if it's horvat our another player? I would like horvat to score as well, but I don't begrudge other players scoring....

Of course you don't.

Your mindset is completely different from mine clearly.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
You're right. For years no one agreed with me about how bad this team was going to get. Looks like I was right.
Lol. A vast majority knew this team was heading downhill. No one could predict Benning would **** it up as bad as he did.

But yes, keep preaching how you're right.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Of course you don't.

Your mindset is completely different from mine clearly.

I'm not sure what you mean...? I want our players to do well, I want a high draft pick....

I get you were being snarky...but I don't get what you think I want.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well, I guess they'll go on a winning streak now and really screw up the draft. Very disappointing win as you had to think if they'd lose anywhere it was here. Possible great tank night get torpedoed by close win.

Doubling disappointing when you consider Miller and the Sedins were keys to the win. Players that will having nothing to do with a rebuilt team.

Good

Sedins - not in their end so much but don't win without them

Baertschi - his passing is improving. One player with the skill not to look out of place against the Hawks.

Boucher - nice tempo in his play. Can read off other people well. Continues to show a good skill set. Not really hurting the team in his end

Sutter - for my money the best Canuck. Thought he played a very good two way game. Doesn't cheat you by not playing both ways. Helped make his line a effective in this game

Miller - faced a lot tough shots and had to handle a lot of traffic. Kept his team in the game. Earned his money tonight.

Tanev - for the purposes of the tank wish we'd kept Tanev out of the lineup. Makes such a huge difference on defense. Gives up any chance at offense trying to handle the constant pressure around our net and you have admire that.

Skille - was a force all game. Real good on the forecheck and showed excellent speed on the rush. Plays like this and you have to think he gets a new contract. He was important in allowing Sutter to have good game

Bad

Didn't like Sbisa. Also Hutton had some major problems as the game went on.

Other Points

Have to wonder if Boucher might be the player lost in the Expansion draft. Might be a better alternative than Sbisa when the contract situation is considered. Frankly at this point rather lose Sbisa.

If the Canucks are truly on a youth movement why not have the younger players out in OT. Isn't that the way they will learn. Willie can't help himself. Screw the future I've got to win now.

Against one of the strongest offenses in hockey. I thought Tryamkin and Stecher both did ok. Their play has probably been the most positive aspect of the team this year.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I'm not sure what you mean...? I want our players to do well, I want a high draft pick....

I get you were being snarky...but I don't get what you think I want.

Goals from Sutter or the Sedins do nothing for me. Don't know about you.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Good for you I guess? They should just stop scoring? I don't begrudge them scoring I guess.

That's what I'm saying. Me and you see things differently. Different mindsets. For you it feels wrong to hope for a loss, for me it feels logical at this point.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I look at it as maybe salvaging a fraction of their value from 2-3 years ago if they can get enough points to bring back a 1st next year.

Think that impossible with the Canucks inability to retain salary next year. Hansen deal shot down that as far as I can see. No silver lining here. Rarely is with this team.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
That's what I'm saying. Me and you see things differently. Different mindsets. For you it feels wrong to hope for a loss, for me it feels logical at this point.

Didn't say that either...I said I understood we should lose, doesn't make it feel good. I'm hoping for a loss but feel bad for doing that in the fact that I always want the team to win, but also want the high draft pick.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Boucher - nice tempo in his play. Can read off other people well. Continues to show a good skill set. Not really hurting the team in his end

Umm... did you miss Chicago's 3rd goal?

He is showing offensive awareness and has been good in the offensive end but still a lot of work to do in his own end. Its something that can be worked on if he puts in the effort tho. Miller more or less threw him under the boss (without mentioning names) in the post game interview... (something along the lines of making them harder for the middle of the ice during the 3rd goal... Boucher pretty much was a pylon in that play).

As far as being picked up in the expansion draft, its possible although value wise, Sbisa likely has the most given he could likely be dealt at the deadline (next year) for a mid round pick (assuming he doesn't regress). Boucher likely won't attract any contenders and if Vegas is thinking about the future, they might want some assets they can easily unload for picks next year.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Think that impossible with the Canucks inability to retain salary next year. Hansen deal shot down that as far as I can see. No silver lining here. Rarely is with this team.

We can still retain salary for 1 of them i believe (max 3 i believe). 10.5mil for both of them isn't cheap but isn't impossible either (as long as we are willing to take bad contracts as well). Of course making a trade will be next to impossible given their value to the city likely far exceeds their playing values right now (at best they are 2nd liners now...).

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
RtPrqiZ.png

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Umm... did you miss Chicago's 3rd goal?

He is showing offensive awareness and has been good in the offensive end but still a lot of work to do in his own end. Its something that can be worked on if he puts in the effort tho. Miller more or less threw him under the boss (without mentioning names) in the post game interview... (something along the lines of making them harder for the middle of the ice during the 3rd goal... Boucher pretty much was a pylon in that play).

As far as being picked up in the expansion draft, its possible although value wise, Sbisa likely has the most given he could likely be dealt at the deadline (next year) for a mid round pick (assuming he doesn't regress). Boucher likely won't attract any contenders and if Vegas is thinking about the future, they might want some assets they can easily unload for picks next year.

Yes when you review that play he got puck watching. Noted he did get benched late and that play was probably the reason.

Thought he was paying attention to defense early and staying defense side of the puck and was collapsing in with the rest of the team to cover the front of the goal and the slot fairly well. But as you re-watch him in the third, when Chicago brought pressure, he did start to come unglued in his own end. Wasn't alone in that.

ON the ED - I'm not sure Vegas is picking up Sbisa. Too many better choices. With most teams only protecting 3 defenseman there will be some quality available. Vegas may also go to the UFA list which increases the possibilities. Lastly there are better players than Sbisa available with expiring contracts next year that can be picked up. See list here

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Vegas may end up taking a flyer on one of the Canuck young forwards. Cramarossa even becomes a real possibility but I'd say Boucher is more likely. Could throw Gaunce in there too.

On trading Sedins - I think the possibilities are pretty far -fetched. Finding a big enough bad salary pick up on a contender is going to be tough to find.

In connection with the ED I wonder if there is any possibility that the Canucks would ask the Sedins and/or Eriksson to waive their NMCs??? Other teams will be doing this but the Canucks will probably say they owe too much to the Sedins and Eriksson to treat them this way. Players needs always before fans needs in Vancouver.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
A little shocked to see so many players on the good side when the team was quite frankly embarrassed everywhere but the scoreboard. Play that game again and they get absolutely steamrolled. Other than Miller they were bad. Every single one of them.

And while they certainly have injuries they only have a couple of fairly significant ones (Eriksson, Granlund) and those are arguable. I don't really consider the loss a couple fourth liners and a #6 D-man as things that should actually matter. What you are seeing is an organization that has zero depth. Of course that was obvious when you have Chaput and Megna as essentially as full time members up front. When healthy they can be somewhat competitive...not good or anything but they can keep from getting completely embareassed. If they aren't you get this mess. IT says something about the quality of players in the organization that they are unable to play a conservative style at all effectively.

And while Willie makes odd decisions in the end that is on the GM.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well, I guess they'll go on a winning streak now and really screw up the draft. Very disappointing win as you had to think if they'd lose anywhere it was here. Possible great tank night get torpedoed by close win.

Doubling disappointing when you consider Miller and the Sedins were keys to the win. Players that will having nothing to do with a rebuilt team.

Good

Sedins - not in their end so much but don't win without them

Baertschi - his passing is improving. One player with the skill not to look out of place against the Hawks.

Sutter - for my money the best Canuck. Thought he played a very good two way game. Doesn't cheat you by not playing both ways. Helped make his line a effective in this game

Miller - faced a lot tough shots and had to handle a lot of traffic. Kept his team in the game. Earned his money tonight.

Tanev - for the purposes of the tank wish we'd kept Tanev out of the lineup. Makes such a huge difference on defense. Gives up any chance at offense trying to handle the constant pressure around our net and you have admire that.

Skille - was a force all game. Real good on the forecheck and showed excellent speed on the rush. Plays like this and you have to think he gets a new contract. He was important in allowing Sutter to have good game

Bad

Didn't like Sbisa. Also Hutton had some major problems as the game went on.

Other Points

Have to wonder if Boucher might be the player lost in the Expansion draft. Might be a better alternative than Sbisa when the contract situation is considered. Frankly at this point rather lose Sbisa.

If the Canucks are truly on a youth movement why not have the younger players out in OT. Isn't that the way they will learn. Willie can't help himself. Screw the future I've got to win now.

Against one of the strongest offenses in hockey. I thought Tryamkin and Stecher both did ok. Their play has probably been the most positive aspect of the team this year.

I don't understand how in a game where the ice was clearly tilted towards our end and the Canucks generally scored against the run of play you can have 8 players listed as "Good" and only Sbisa as "Bad".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad