Post-Game Talk: VAN 5, CHI 4 (OT): Told them to win and they actually did it.. the absolute madman!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm willing to excuse some of the defensive miscues as for the second half of the season it seems like there are a bunch of guys who are playing positions they aren't used to. Not in this game, just in general. Granlund was a LW/C that was playing RW. Boucher was a LW that got moved to RW. Megna, Chaput, and Gaunce have all played multiple positions this year as well. I know it's not exactly the first time they've played these other positions, but I do think it's a bad angle here or not playing the boards properly there that results in some of these issues.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Good win the boys

This is the only win I care about

Can never cheer for the tank while playing either Toronto or Chicago

Can't stand either team and their fans

I feel much the same, only substitute Edmonton for Chicago.

Anyway, I remember what seems like centuries ago, back when the Canucks were good, where we'd come in expecting to spank some 3rd tier team and end up totally ******** the bed. Usually because some goalie decided to stand on their head for a game. Boy, did that **** me off.
So, I guess the silver lining is that some Hawks fans just died a little inside. So we have that going for us. Which is nice.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Yes when you review that play he got puck watching. Noted he did get benched late and that play was probably the reason.

Thought he was paying attention to defense early and staying defense side of the puck and was collapsing in with the rest of the team to cover the front of the goal and the slot fairly well. But as you re-watch him in the third, when Chicago brought pressure, he did start to come unglued in his own end. Wasn't alone in that.

ON the ED - I'm not sure Vegas is picking up Sbisa. Too many better choices. With most teams only protecting 3 defenseman there will be some quality available. Vegas may also go to the UFA list which increases the possibilities. Lastly there are better players than Sbisa available with expiring contracts next year that can be picked up. See list here

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Vegas may end up taking a flyer on one of the Canuck young forwards. Cramarossa even becomes a real possibility but I'd say Boucher is more likely. Could throw Gaunce in there too.

On trading Sedins - I think the possibilities are pretty far -fetched. Finding a big enough bad salary pick up on a contender is going to be tough to find.

In connection with the ED I wonder if there is any possibility that the Canucks would ask the Sedins and/or Eriksson to waive their NMCs??? Other teams will be doing this but the Canucks will probably say they owe too much to the Sedins and Eriksson to treat them this way. Players needs always before fans needs in Vancouver.

The entire team didn't play well defensively, i would agree but that doesn't excuse RB. Just because others weren't playing well in their own end doesn't cover up the fact he cost the team a goal. It was so bad that he basically got called out and yeah i think he got benched after that goal (and for once i agree with WD for that decision).

As far as NMC goes... the 'nucks probably do owe it to the Sedins to protect them. After all they gave them NMC. Eriksson isn't worth his contract but Benning was the one to give him a NMC. He might be willing to waive but he might not (after all he asked for a NMC for a reason). Also there's the debate rather its more worthwhile to protect Eriksson over Gaunce or RB. Remember RB was a waiver pickup and Gaunce at this point is still a 4th liner (who i agree could develop into a decent 3rd line center but that's probably his upside while Eriksson can be a top 6 winger... tho looks more like a 3rd line winger this year).

As far as UFA goes, there's really only 2 good UFA D in Shatteenkirk and Kulikov. Not sure if either would be willing sign with an expansion team. Most of the other "decent" UFA Ds are 35+ meaning some of them will retire (Markov/Streit) or might want to sign with contenders

The rest aren't any better that Sbisa and likely will end up costing more. There's Stone, Russel, Franson, etc Even that group isn't big and like i said they might not be interested in Vegas.

Also remember that although each team only protects 3 D, a few will actually go the "D" route (exposing even more forwards) and of course the fact quite a few D actually won't need to be protect'd ('nucks have 3 who played regularly this year/expected to be part of the D going forward). The same applies for other teams.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know the real scary thing about these games, is that while the forward group is in a state of flux, for all intents and purposes, this is the Canucks NHL blueline.....only guy missing is Gudbranson, and still not sure where he fits.

I get it that they're not getting much help from the forwards these days....but this blueline crew handles the puck like a hand-grenade at times, and just constantly caves under the pressure of the cycle....and barring a trade, this is likely the same group that starts the season next year.

Unless better coaching can get more out this group, it's little wonder the Canucks will be overwhelming favorites as a lottery team next season.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
You know the real scary thing about these games, is that while the forward group is in a state of flux, for all intents and purposes, this is the Canucks NHL blueline.....only guy missing is Gudbranson, and still not sure where he fits.

I get it that they're not getting much help from the forwards these days....but this blueline crew handles the puck like a hand-grenade at times, and just constantly caves under the pressure of the cycle....and barring a trade, this is likely the same group that starts the season next year.

Unless better coaching can get more out this group, it's little wonder the Canucks will be overwhelming favorites as a lottery team next season.

We better be a lottery team next year!

DO NOT RESIGN MILLER

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

The forwards aren't that far off either. Goldy, Dahlen and Boeser aren't exactly puck fetching possession machines or noted for their two way games, even assuming they can make the team next year.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The entire team didn't play well defensively, i would agree but that doesn't excuse RB. Just because others weren't playing well in their own end doesn't cover up the fact he cost the team a goal. It was so bad that he basically got called out and yeah i think he got benched after that goal (and for once i agree with WD for that decision).

As far as NMC goes... the 'nucks probably do owe it to the Sedins to protect them. After all they gave them NMC. Eriksson isn't worth his contract but Benning was the one to give him a NMC. He might be willing to waive but he might not (after all he asked for a NMC for a reason). Also there's the debate rather its more worthwhile to protect Eriksson over Gaunce or RB. Remember RB was a waiver pickup and Gaunce at this point is still a 4th liner (who i agree could develop into a decent 3rd line center but that's probably his upside while Eriksson can be a top 6 winger... tho looks more like a 3rd line winger this year).

As far as UFA goes, there's really only 2 good UFA D in Shatteenkirk and Kulikov. Not sure if either would be willing sign with an expansion team. Most of the other "decent" UFA Ds are 35+ meaning some of them will retire (Markov/Streit) or might want to sign with contenders

The rest aren't any better that Sbisa and likely will end up costing more. There's Stone, Russel, Franson, etc Even that group isn't big and like i said they might not be interested in Vegas.

Also remember that although each team only protects 3 D, a few will actually go the "D" route (exposing even more forwards) and of course the fact quite a few D actually won't need to be protect'd ('nucks have 3 who played regularly this year/expected to be part of the D going forward). The same applies for other teams.

This all needs to be moved to a different thread. Probably one exists but too lazy to go search it out.

My point here is that you may want to include some of the UFAs as potential defenseman pick ups for Vegas

But you don't really have to include them to slide Sbisa far t down the list of potential defenseman open to the expansion draft. People who might well be available

Manson (maybe even Vatanen)
Murphy
Schenn
Colin Miller/McQuaid (maybe Kevin Miller)
McCabe
van Riemsdyk
Savard (maybe even Ryan Murray)
Oleksaik/Nemeth
Ericcson/Ouellet
Pysyk/Petrovic (maybe Demers)
Scandella/Brodin
Forbert/McNabb/Greene
Irwin (maybe Ekholm)
Lovejoy/Merrill
Klien/Holden
DeHaan/Hickey
Methot/Jokipakka
Ghosibehere
Emilin/Nesterov/Davidson/Benn
Jack Johnson
Cole/Dumolin (maybe Shultz)
Martin/Dillon/Braun/Meuller
Bortozzo/Gunnersson
Sustr (maybe Coburn)
Corrado /Marincin
Orlov (maybe even Alzner if they think they can resign Shattenkirk)
Myers

You can quibble about some on the list and probably there will be some jockeying around but there so many choices (not including 2017 UFA signings which Vegas has leg up on) that I think Vegas will look past Sbisa. (even as trade and sign next year at the DD there are better choices in my opinion.)

That's why I see Vegas taking a flyer one of younger forwards. So you've got Boucher, Gaunce, Cramarossa (don't think Dorsett is a consideration coming off his injury). I think I would take Boucher but open to argument. Be nice if Eriksson would actually do something to help the team and waive his NMN (as no way he gets picked up - be great if did in fact) to protect one of these players. Be interesting to see who the team would protect.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's why I see Vegas taking a flyer one of younger forwards. So you've got Boucher, Gaunce, Cramarossa (don't think Dorsett is a consideration coming off his injury). I think I would take Boucher but open to argument. Be nice if Eriksson would actually do something to help the team and waive his NMN (as no way he gets picked up - be great if did in fact) to protect one of these players. Be interesting to see who the team would protect.

Who to protect? Someone they traded for. Find a better player than those that is exposed and trade for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad