Speculation: Value of Trading for Witkowski

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The most depressing thing is a thread was made to get Witkowski back on Detroit like it would even matter even if he played his absolute best ever.:help:
Would he make the Wings a better team? No, at least not by much (though I think he is comparable to Biega).

Would he make them a lot more fun to watch? Hell yeah.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I dont mind McIlrath but he hasnt been the most physical or aggressive for us this year. At least Witkowski has some decent speed and can play forward also.

Almost surely a guy like Mcilrath is told to avoid taking penalties. But he does have 48 hits in 16 games.
3 hits per game in 14 minutes a game.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
luke is a cheap player he uses his size to make up for the lack of skill he has
I would not mind trading Nielsen to Tampa for luke and a 4th, or a 3rd maybe

Last edited:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
It's Christmas, I'm miserable, and I miss Hitkowski.

He's better than Ehn forward-wise, and he's better than Biega defensively.

I want someone in the lineup who will beat the **** out of little punk-ass *****. Why not?

He should have never hit free agency IMO.

If I could like both posts, I would... but Leafs fans took that from me after they trolled me and I took the bait.

Makes me wonder if he did or said something behind the scenes to be let go.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
If I could like both posts, I would... but Leafs fans took that from me after they trolled me and I took the bait.

Good point I saw a news article when Stevie came back home that Luke was talking to him and was happy to have Stevie back maybe he doesn’t fit into the yzerplan?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Good point I saw a news article when Stevie came back home that Luke was talking to him and was happy to have Stevie back maybe he doesn’t fit into the yzerplan?

My guess is Yzerman either flat out wasn't interested, or didn't offer the financial security Tampa did with the 2nd year and decent guaranteed AHL salary.

If the Red Wings want that kind of presence up front, they could just call up Smith.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think it has a lot more to do with hockey.
Witkowski is probably the worst hockey player I've seen on the Wings since Grimson.

He can skate. But he's absolute rubbish in the stick/puck skill department.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Witkowski is probably the worst hockey player I've seen on the Wings since Grimson.

Perhaps, but he's got same amount of points as Abdelkader, Nielsen while playing less games and outscoring Biega, Ehn, Daley, Erne, and Perlini.

They all played more than Vitkovski's 12 games.

And if he can skate, than at at least outranks him over Ericsson pretty much his entire career of being the Human Pylon 2,0, taking over where Lilja left off.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Perhaps, but he's got same amount of points as Abdelkader, Nielsen while playing less games and outscoring Biega, Ehn, Daley, Erne, and Perlini.

They all played more than Vitkovski's 12 games.

And if he can skate, than at at least outranks him over Ericsson pretty much his entire career of being the Human Pylon 2,0, taking over where Lilja left off.

Mlotek said what I would have. I'm not arguing that he doesn't suck at hockey, but how is he worse than Ernie, Ehn, Dailey, Abby, Big E, G Smith, Dmac, or several others at this point?

Winning games isn't the goal right now. Putting a team out on the ice that can have good periods and development of young talent is the goal. If said talent is on the IR, this is a problem. Mantha and AA need someone on that team to do the dirty work that one no longer seems fit to do, and that the other should never do in the first place.

I know that this is a touchy subject, but the reasons for keeping a guy like Witter on your team won't go away. Plus, it's more fun to watch, this season has been light years worse than last. This team looks like it gave up any semblance of cohesion and teamwork back in the preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbdet

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Mlotek said what I would have. I'm not arguing that he doesn't suck at hockey, but how is he worse than Ernie, Ehn, Dailey, Abby, Big E, G Smith, Dmac, or several others at this point?

Winning games isn't the goal at this point. Putting a team out on the ice that can have good periods and development of young talent is the goal. If said talent is on the IR, this is a problem. Mantha and AA need someone on that team to do the dirty work that one no longer seems fit to do, and that the other should never do in the first place.

I know that this is a touchy subject, but the reasons for keeping a guy like Witter on your team won't go away. Plus, it's more fun to watch, this season has been light years worse than last. This team looks like it gave up any semblance of cohesion and teamwork back in the preseason.

Right. But why take someone worse (Witkowski). You can accomplish this with McIlrath and Givani Smith.

Yeah, it sucks Mantha got hurt. Yeah, AA shouldn't running at guys in retaliation. On the other hand, Datsyuk elbowing Barrett Jackman or Shea Weber or fighting Corey Perry are some of my favorite moments of hockey in the last 20 years.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Blashill has said multiple times that this isn’t how he wants the team to play. It is on the players that they dump and don’t chase every play. The team is just that bad that it’s the only way they can not spend a full shift in their own end.

You really are a Blashill apologist through and through, he can do no wrong in your eyes

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You really are a Blashill apologist through and through, he can do no wrong in your eyes

No, I actually disagree with him on a nightly basis when his lines are released. I disagree with how he manages ice time. I disagree with the coaches he has staffed behind the bench.

I can have differing opinions to him but still see and listen to the words he says and try to comprehend why he feels and acts the way he does.

Good try though.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Witkowski brings entertainment value, which players like those listed above do not. Not only does this team suck, but a lot of the games have been pretty miserable to watch. People are paying good money to see these games, give them something to get out of their seat for. Big hits, quality fights, fans love it. You don't get that from anyone on this team. I just want to enjoy more games than I have this so far this season, with or without him, there's no playoffs this year. There's no need to in theory have one player slightly better if the player you are bringing in at least provides some watchable hockey every now and then.

Reactions: gbdet

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Witkowski brings entertainment value, which players like those listed above do not. Not only does this team suck, but a lot of the games have been pretty miserable to watch. People are paying good money to see these games, give them something to get out of their seat for. Big hits, quality fights, fans love it. You don't get that from anyone on this team. I just want to enjoy more games than I have this so far this season, with or without him, there's no playoffs this year. There's no need to in theory have one player slightly better if the player you are bringing in at least provides some watchable hockey every now and then.

Why are Witter fans acting like he's the only guy who can do it?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
And I'm asking why you think what he offers can't be provided in house?
You could call up Givani Smith to be a 4th line winger with toughness.
And McIlrath to be a defenseman with toughness.

McIlrath has literally done nothing physical the entire time he's been with the Wings.

Smith is too fresh of a face. Until he gets into some real NHL scraps, nobody will fear him.

Witkowski skates hard, he hits hard, and he's not afraid to go with anyone. He's a leader and veteran presence in the locker room, and, like Mick says, he makes people feel about 2" taller.

What would I trade for Witkowski? I don't know, but not much. Would I trade McIlrath? Yes. Would I trade Tangradi? Yes.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I mean it's not a huge deal but I would of literally rather bought out Abdelkader and resigned Witokowski :badidea:

I am wondering if you realize that had that happened we would be on the books for like 1.6 million until around 2027. And what we would have to show for that sacrifice is.... what exactly? Just let the contract die.

McIlrath is not really a good answer but he is the only answer unless you want the wings to do something stupid like give up a pick or prospect for some goon. I really don't see the point of gooning up a team that just needs to just get through a few losing seasons of drafting to get its feet under it. Just let it go and get through it. There is no magic pill.

I still remember the collective WTF that went around the NHL when McIlrath was drafted lol. I am not in the least surprised he is in and out of the AHL still.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
McIlrath has literally done nothing physical the entire time he's been with the Wings.

Smith is too fresh of a face. Until he gets into some real NHL scraps, nobody will fear him.

Witkowski skates hard, he hits hard, and he's not afraid to go with anyone. He's a leader and veteran presence in the locker room, and, like Mick says, he makes people feel about 2" taller.

What would I trade for Witkowski? I don't know, but not much. Would I trade McIlrath? Yes. Would I trade Tangradi? Yes.

That's false.
Here's an example of a month ago.
Simmonds hits Hirose near the boards. McIlrath fights him.

Several other times, McIlrath tried to go with guys who refused.
In terms of hits,
McIlrath has had 67 hits in 23 games over the last years.
Witkowski had 67 hits in 34 games last year.

The only thing that Witkowski offers that McIlrath doesn't is a stupidly high goals against average.
McIlrath, who unlike Witkowski was entrusted with PK minutes, has one of the lowest GA/60 on the team at 5 on 5 and on the PK.
McIlrath was at 2.19 this year - a year when most other defensemen on the team have GA's at 3.5 to 4.4.
Best on the team.
On the PK, McIlrath's GA is 7.3. Better than Hronek, Dekeyser, Daley, Cholo, Nemeth and most of the wings PK guys.

Witkowski had the worst GA/60 on the defense last year of any player who played 300 minutes.

As for Smith? Who cares. At best Smith develops into a 3rd line winger who might do some netfront work and some hitting. No reason he can't come to the NHL and play 4th line minutes and begin his apprenticeship.

So, yeah, give me some toughness. But let's use some players who can actually help the hockey team. McIlrath prevents goals against at 5 on 5 and the PK.
Smith can come up and develop his game.

Witkowski sucks

I think people like his beard or something. Or maybe they went to WMU or something.

By the way, Witkowski and McIlrath fought before.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
That's false.
Here's an example of a month ago.
Simmonds hits Hirose near the boards. McIlrath fights him.

Several other times, McIlrath tried to go with guys who refused.
In terms of hits,
McIlrath has had 67 hits in 23 games over the last years.
Witkowski had 67 hits in 34 games last year.

The only thing that Witkowski offers that McIlrath doesn't is a stupidly high goals against average.
McIlrath, who unlike Witkowski was entrusted with PK minutes, has one of the lowest GA/60 on the team at 5 on 5 and on the PK.
McIlrath was at 2.19 this year - a year when most other defensemen on the team have GA's at 3.5 to 4.4.
Best on the team.
On the PK, McIlrath's GA is 7.3. Better than Hronek, Dekeyser, Daley, Cholo, Nemeth and most of the wings PK guys.

Witkowski had the worst GA/60 on the defense last year of any player who played 300 minutes.

As for Smith? Who cares. At best Smith develops into a 3rd line winger who might do some netfront work and some hitting. No reason he can't come to the NHL and play 4th line minutes and begin his apprenticeship.

So, yeah, give me some toughness. But let's use some players who can actually help the hockey team. McIlrath prevents goals against at 5 on 5 and the PK.
Smith can come up and develop his game.

Witkowski sucks

I think people like his beard or something.

One "fight." Okay, good job Mac, way to be.

You absolutely cannot compare "advanced stats" between a guy who only plays defense, and a guy who plays both forward and defense. It's just not... well, fair. Since you're so keen on looking up advanced stats, break down how many of those minutes were played at forward vs. defense. I'll wait.

I don't care what anyone says, Wikowski is twice the skater Mac is, and ideally, they'd both be on the team -- Witter at forward, Mac on defense. Witkowski is a monster on the forecheck, and actually f***ing hits people. That's what we're talking about here. Mac has a "fight" against Simmonds? Okay, great, but what's his FightsAgainstPer60After20GamesPlayedOnThursday?

I really can't give two shits about arguing the merits of McIlrath vs. Witkowski, my position was stated previously. If you want to try to tilt at windmills, by all means, go for it. I'm not biting.

And yeah, I do like his beard.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
One "fight." Okay, good job Mac, way to be.

You absolutely cannot compare "advanced stats" between a guy who only plays defense, and a guy who plays both forward and defense. It's just not... well, fair. Since you're so keen on looking up advanced stats, break down how many of those minutes were played at forward vs. defense. I'll wait.

I don't care what anyone says, Wikowski is twice the skater Mac is, and ideally, they'd both be on the team -- Witter at forward, Mac on defense. Witkowski is a monster on the forecheck, and actually ****ing hits people. That's what we're talking about here. Mac has a "fight" against Simmonds? Okay, great, but what's his FightsAgainstPer60After20GamesPlayedOnThursday?

I really can't give two ****s about arguing the merits of McIlrath vs. Witkowski, my position was stated previously. If you want to try to tilt at windmills, by all means, go for it. I'm not biting.

And yeah, I do like his beard.

McIlrath will be back in Detroit when Seider returns to Grand Rapids.
You can ignore the stats and facts all you want.
But McIlrath does everything you want in Witkowski, but he's actually a half decent hockey player.
And if you need a forward version, you might as well go with Givani Smith.

Witkowski is a useless meathead.
His GA/60 is even worse in Tampa this year, at 4.07.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad