Speculation: Value of Trading for Witkowski

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Don't really want to give up a pick to get a player that was let walk in UFA unless its like a conditional 6th or something.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The most depressing thing is a thread was made to get Witkowski back on Detroit like it would even matter even if he played his absolute best ever.:help:

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
The most depressing thing is a thread was made to get Witkowski back on Detroit like it would even matter even if he played his absolute best ever.:help:
Don't you know the secret to being best in the NHL is icing a team full of enforcers?

Of course you don't, it's a secret.

Come to think of it, forget you even read this post.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I mean it's not a huge deal but I would of literally rather bought out Abdelkader and resigned Witokowski :badidea:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This.

We have the needed fists in better player.

while this is not a priority for me by any means, since the topic was brought up, it would be nice and add entertainment if we had witter over a number of our forwards. Him up front and Mac on the back end would be interesting.

Reactions: gbdet

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
As somebody above mentioned; another viable solution is to just call up Mcilrath. No need to give up assets for a 4th liner. Let’s not go down the Montreal Canadiens route...

With that being said though, Witowski was one of my favourite players to watch last season. Brought very needed energy to the games he played in and he was there to protect our young team. Mantha gets hurt once a year due to standing up for teammates or himself, I think this alone should be an indicator of how we do need a player or Mcilrath/Witowski style.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Don't you know the secret to being best in the NHL is icing a team full of enforcers?

Of course you don't, it's a secret.

Come to think of it, forget you even read this post.
A team full of enforcers would fill the empty seats better than this current bunch.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That is on Blash. I don't think it's players choice to dump and no chase every play.

Surprisingly, the few times they actually skate it in good thing happen.

Blashill has said multiple times that this isn’t how he wants the team to play. It is on the players that they dump and don’t chase every play. The team is just that bad that it’s the only way they can not spend a full shift in their own end.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
While McIlrath should be the easy replacement option, I can’t say I’ve been impressed with his physicality at the NHL level. Witkowski definitely had a bigger presence.

Luke is what he is, he was a tough 4th liner or 7th Dman who could play Forward and D. I wish we kept him also, he was a good skater for his size, knew his role and protected players. Plus he threw some huge hits and always answered the bell if someone challenged. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Team sucked but they beat the **** out of teams. Witkowski was the straw that stirred the drink that season.

Ah, so Witkowski departure the reason we went from "normal bad" to "historic bad."

I was thinking it was because of Vanek's departure, but that didn't make much sense.
Witkowski makes a lot more sense,

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Blashill has said multiple times that this isn’t how he wants the team to play. It is on the players that they dump and don’t chase every play. The team is just that bad that it’s the only way they can not spend a full shift in their own end.
Really? Dump and DON'T chase is something I've never heard of as an actual hockey strategy. Need to have at least one forechecker if you're going to dump the puck in constantly. Two preferably.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Really? Dump and DON'T chase is something I've never heard of as an actual hockey strategy. Need to have at least one forechecker if you're going to dump the puck in constantly. Two preferably.

That's the problem. We don't have a system because our players are incapable of executing any system. It's either chip it out of the D zone and hope to make a change in the 5 seconds of breathing room it creates, or dump and change in the neutral zone, or execute a frail attempt at a rush that results in one shot before the other team has transitioned back onto offense.

Those are the 3 most common "plays" our talent is capable of.

Reactions: odin1981

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I dont mind McIlrath but he hasnt been the most physical or aggressive for us this year. At least Witkowski has some decent speed and can play forward also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad