Proposal: Value of: Teddy Purcell to MTL

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With a good sniper? We have THE sniper, in Steven Stamkos. Teddy plagued Stammer's line every time he was put on it. Not to mention, literally every other line he was put on.

Take Purcell for futures. Anything to get him off this team.

He didn't get much time with Stamkos till after he was injured. Stamkos was still a bit rusty and not finishing like usual. Purcell-Filppula-Killorn was just a terrible line for chemistry but somehow managed to do alright.

Purcell was at his best when with Lecavalier, St. Louis and a healthy Stamkos. Put him with top level shooter and he plays better. He has top notch hands and vision but lacks drive, maybe a different coach can get the most out of his talents.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Teddy hasn't been the same since he signed his contract but you could do a hell of a lot worse for a 4.5 caphit. He still somehow manages to put up points. Would you rather have Malone/Erat/Booth/Leino or Purcell? On the right team, with a good sniper he could possibly hit 60 again.

We could do worse for 4.5 for sure. Malone is worse. The only reason we haven't gathered torches and pitchforks to run him out of town is because he put up 42 points, but they were the quietest 42 points in history. But I'd rather have a 30 point scorer who will work his ass off for every cent of his contract over Purcell (who, like you said in a later post, has top notch hands and vision and is just a very talented offensive player) who will float his way through every shift.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah. I think it's more that Teddy scores points on other people's work ethic. It's not like he's feeding guys for big opportunities that they're just not cashing in on.

Well Johnson whiffed at least 3 glorious passes by Purcell early on in the season when they were on a line, maybe that's what threw him off the entire year. :sarcasm:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Call me crazy but if we dispense with the narratives about Purcell being lazy and unmotivated of late, and instead consider that he went from having Steven Stamkos (54% and 54% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) and Martin St. Louis (31% and 35% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) as his top-two linemates the previous two seasons to then skating primarily with Alex Killorn (54% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) and Valtteri Filppula (51% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) over this past one, we might just conclude that's probably got far more to his drop-off in production then any supposed decline in effort.

Couple that with the fluctuation -- which you expect, both in-season and from season to season -- in shooting percentages he has experienced (both overall and at 5v5, where he's seen a drop from 12.2% in 2011-2012 to 9.7% in 2012-2013 to 6.8% last season) and, with his shot totals being right in line with previous campaigns, the idea that he's been resting on his laurels seems even less explanatory. And if you accept that Purcell is a complementary winger, particularly at even-strength, who needs others to drive the bus for him, you end up a lot less dissatisfied with his play because you have lower expectations to begin with.

All this said, TB should look to move the guy if his diminished role in the playoffs is indicative of future and perhaps longer-lasting adjustments. There's just no way to justify primarily skating him alongside Nate Thompson, where Cooper ended up relegating him for much of the brief series against Montreal.

Last edited:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Call me crazy but if we dispense with the narratives about Purcell being lazy and unmotivated of late, and instead consider that he went from having Steven Stamkos (54% and 54% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) and Martin St. Louis (31% and 35% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) as his top-two linemates the previous two campaigns to then skating primarily with Alex Killorn (54% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) and Valtteri Filppula (51% of Purcell's 5v5 TOI) last season, we might just conclude that's probably got far more to with it then any supposed decline in effort.

He failed the eye test for giving a crap. Anyone who watched him this season (including when Marty was still with the team) could see he wasn't putting forth much effort. It became a running gag that he refused to shoot and made the same whiff pass over and over, whilst refusing to actually chase down a puck. Ever.

It's possible that he doesn't feel comfortable in the changed Bolts landscape and he'll bounce back on another team, but he's certainly making a good case for getting traded.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
He failed the eye test for giving a crap. ... Anyone who watched him this season (including when Marty was still with the team) could see he wasn't putting forth much effort.

Because our eyes are always reliable gauges for effort and detecting feelings, am I right?

It became a running gag that he refused to shoot and made the same whiff pass over and over.

"Became"? As in this past season? That joke was established well before then and has pertained to others beyond Purcell.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
If you really think about what I outlined a couple posts above, Purcell would probably make a ton of sense to a top-heavy team like PIT, particularly if they can get him at a discounted price (i.e. TB eating a portion of Purcell's contract). Purcell at $3m or even less should be very attractive to clubs, especially ones, like PIT, that can give him generous minutes next to elite talent, both at even-strength and as part of a highly-potent power play.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Because our eyes are always reliable gauges for effort and detecting feelings, am I right?

When the majority of people watching see the same thing, that's not just coincidence. Are you saying you didn't notice Tedward floating around more than usual this past season or did you see some hustle the rest of us missed night after night?

"Became"? As in this past season? That joke was established well before then and has pertained to others beyond Purcell.

I'd argue it was worse this past season, but either way you've just made my point. If he's always been like that, why would we keep him? Are you suggesting we just double down on what may have been a bad decision?

Oh, I see you've edited your original statement to add more paragraphs where you essentially agree that he may bounce back elsewhere, but TB may not be his best place right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't have a problem retaining salary on Purcell if it increased the likely hood of him being moved and the return. Not sure what percentages you can retain but Purcell at 26% is roughly the same hit as Prospals buyout so we can continue to operate as if we still had that on the books. We aren't in a cap crunch this season so the extra 1.17 isn't gonna be an issue. Purcell at 3.33 is a great deal for any team especially a cap one.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
He has a very good wrist shot but rarely uses it when he is on a line with snipers like Stammer, traitor, etc., as he passes up a shot to pass to a line mate (or in many cases the opposition D). I think he played better with VL4 as he was the one making the pass to Teddy for the shot.

He can still be a top 6 winger, but not here as they is no spot for him. He is not a bottom 6 player. It is classic case of needing a change of scenery.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Purcell is wonderful at possessing the puck in safe, non-threatening areas. But that's about it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's also funny because he had 2 of the best backchecking plays of the year from anyone on the team.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Teddy is a very talented but very specific player with a skillset that doesn't translate to all lines, and as such, needs to be with the right personnel to really thrive.

He also needs to be away from a certain someone and partying ways.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Teddy is a very talented but very specific player with a skillset that doesn't translate to all lines, and as such, needs to be with the right personnel to really thrive.

He also needs to be away from a certain someone and partying ways.

He was pretty good on a line with Vinny. Maybe the Vinny buyout had also a little bit to do with Teddy's "decline"?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Surprised everyone isn't saying, "take him and we'll throw in a free Lindback."

Because that would be ridiculous, they're both awesome and on the untouchable list with Stamkos, Lee, Hedman, Drouin, Kostka, Vasilevskiy and Labrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad