Proposal: Value of Stocking up

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why is it that you people cannot grasp that every player on the Leafs other than the couple core players are ready to be traded at any minute of any day ? Dave Nonis is on the phone every day with some of other teams general managers and if there is an acceptable offer for any Leaf, that player is gone..There has to be two to tangle and right now Nonis is the only one prepared to tangle for what he values his players. If some other team wants to include the Leaf's garbage to fill in their roster, they will talk to Nonis on their terms..That's the way it is..

Yep.

There's also something to be said about the perceived vs actual value of the core players on a team that has suffered 3 massive collapses lately.

Let's not sugar coat it - teams don't want losers, and the Leafs are perennial losers.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If this draft is anything like 2003, then getting as many draft picks as possible should be a priority at the trade deadline. Bergeron, Weber, Eriksson, Crawford, MacArthur were all picked after the 1st, just to name a few. If TOR doesn't look like they'll get in, what could these players return?
Looking for : 2015 between 2nd and 6th round picks
Available: Bodie, Orr, Franson, MacWilliam, Holzer, Riemer, Booth, Kontolia, Clarkson (25% taken back), Biggs, Ashton, 2015 7th, 2016 4th, 2016 5th, 2016 6th, 2016 7th.

Try to respond like:

Franson - 2nd
Riemer - 2nd ( to a playoff team with goalie injuries)
Etc.

in theory converting expendable assets into picks is a good idea but what you have listed is basically our scraps. considering the leafs arent the a good team at the best of times and our prospects overall are ranked poorly even for a late round pick i dont see teams jumping at our players.

the leafs will probably move franson and reimer at some point during the season. i cant see them being able to dump much more as the rest of the scraps really have limited value. no one is going to take on clarksons contract even if the leafs eat $1.3 million (25%) for the next 6 years.

i agree that it looks like this is going to be a really good draft but like all drafts the higher the pick the better the chances are that the player works out. if we are going to expect a 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft it is going to take moving a player that we dont want to move. sure we can trade everything thats not bolted down on late round picks but at the end of the day we need players.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
in theory converting expendable assets into picks is a good idea but what you have listed is basically our scraps. considering the leafs arent the a good team at the best of times and our prospects overall are ranked poorly even for a late round pick i dont see teams jumping at our players.

the leafs will probably move franson and reimer at some point during the season. i cant see them being able to dump much more as the rest of the scraps really have limited value. no one is going to take on clarksons contract even if the leafs eat $1.3 million (25%) for the next 6 years.

i agree that it looks like this is going to be a really good draft but like all drafts the higher the pick the better the chances are that the player works out. if we are going to expect a 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft it is going to take moving a player that we dont want to move. sure we can trade everything thats not bolted down on late round picks but at the end of the day we need players.

There are a couple of good trades that could go down with some bigger named players. Though practically any trade we can find with some of our lesser players that make any sense we should jump on immediately.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
If this draft is anything like 2003, then getting as many draft picks as possible should be a priority at the trade deadline. Bergeron, Weber, Eriksson, Crawford, MacArthur were all picked after the 1st, just to name a few. If TOR doesn't look like they'll get in, what could these players return?
Looking for : 2015 between 2nd and 6th round picks
Available: Bodie, Orr, Franson, MacWilliam, Holzer, Riemer, Booth, Kontolia, Clarkson (25% taken back), Biggs, Ashton, 2015 7th, 2016 4th, 2016 5th, 2016 6th, 2016 7th.

Try to respond like:

Franson - 2nd
Riemer - 2nd ( to a playoff team with goalie injuries)
Etc.

We need more picks and quality scouts. Bergman is a great start, but I'm not a fan of Morrison's picks. The players he picks end up being good, but never great ones. We are getting on the right track looking for talent, we need more focus on work-ethic in our picks.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We need more picks and quality scouts. Bergman is a great start, but I'm not a fan of Morrison's picks. The players he picks end up being good, but never great ones. We are getting on the right track looking for talent, we need more focus on work-ethic in our picks.

We need to build up more late picks; Bergman hits on those. I like the plan of taking Europeans and quality guys with some sort of issue late (such as Bibeau stuck on his team, Herzog, etc.) and good players with the early picks. European always slip, and that's when we can pounce with those picks.

hockeyfanz*

Bozak has improved every year he's been in the NHL. I don't expect that to change this season.

Yeah he's great. He'll improve every year until he is the greatest player to ever play the sport. Cause thats how it works.

Slow. Down.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Bozak has improved every year he's been in the NHL.

The guy has shown he's a fairly late blooming player. Exploded in the BCHL in his 3rd year, really hit his stride in the NCAA in his 2nd year and now looks like he's doing the same old act again in the NHL.

He's improved his defensive game, he's a gem on the faceoffs, and he's improving his offensive skill too. I guess at this point it becomes a question of whether or not his offensive step is one derived almost exclusively from Kessel or whether or not he's doing his own part to improve?

To be perfectly honest, he could be among the most intriguing players to be moved if things go belly up. While Leaf fans seem to never give him enough credit, and other fans seem to say he's just overrated by us and by his position with Kessel, he's valued in the league. Freidman and McKenzie have both mentioned that GM's say he's a player they'd love to have, we know Gillis coveted him in Vancouver, and other execs say if he was in the 7th game, we probably wouldn't have lost. He's pretty cheap for what he does, and he's on the right side of 30. He's not a first line center at this point but he's basically a team's perfect 2nd line center. At the deadline he could command a ton of value.

At this point, I guess the question we should be asking ourselves is if he fits our core for teh future? If he's a perfect number 2, do we keep him or trade him? If Nylander is the expected number 1, would we be better off keeping Bozak to slot in ahead of him until he's ready to take the mantle and then behind him once he's taken it? Thereby freeing up Kadri for a potential trade?

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
His 1st year was better than his 2nd year.

If you only count points total, sure. He struggled offensively that year, but his game got better from the year previous.

Yeah he's great. He'll improve every year until he is the greatest player to ever play the sport. Cause thats how it works.

Slow. Down.

Did I say that? He's 28, not 36. He's going into his 6th season in the league. I don't see any reason why he would regress. Believing he will be better this year is not outrageous.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
New definition of free wallet: sign someone for 1 year trade them at the tdl.

Booth
Santa
Robidas (if u get a good return (1st))
Winnik

Ect

Stock pile picks let the likes of holland, frattin, leivo, ect take their places and get deeper prospect pool with more picks and let ur younger players start in the ahl and get a spot later on in the season and get real value from free ufa players. Win-win imo, however leafs will do the complete opposite, push for playoffs let players walk for nothing.

Good times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad