Speculation: Value of Shatt

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ok, so there seems to be a market for Shattenkirk. He is a legit #2 on most teams in the NHL and may actually be their best dman.

Teams that have been connected to him:

Boston -
NYI -
Tampa Bay -
Vancouver -
Detroit -
Edmonton -

I could also see him winding up in Buffalo, Rangers, Phoenix.

Looking at what is likely available - based on names mentioned in threads.

Spooner - 24 yrs old 5'11" - 181 having his best season: 12g 33a
Strome - will be 23 in July 6'1" - 196 - Best season was last year 17g 33a
Drouin - Will be 21 in March. 5'11", 186 - 4g, 28a (biggest question mark/Highest upside - last years production)
Bo Horvat - will be 21 in May. 6'0" 206. 10g, 19a. (17:00 Per night)
Jared McCann - will be 20 - 6'0", 185. 7g 8a (12:00 Per night)
Tatar - 25, 5'11" - 18g, 20a (14:30 per night)
Nyquist - 26, 5'11" - 16g, 21a (15:00 per night)
RNH - will be 23 in April - 6'0" - 8g, 22a Most productive career so far.

Lets be honest: Based on this: Who do you want to see in a Blues uniform? Who is the best fit/player.

Also keep in mind that no matter who comes back, St. Louis is giving up the best player in the deal

And understand this: the reason HF loves it's prospects is that so many when they get to the NHL never live up to the hype.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'd be interested in a Drouin + deal but other than that id lean towards keeping him

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If you make a trade, you are receiving the return of the trade PLUS cap room to use on an interesting UFA if you like vs paying Shattenkirk his next contract.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
A lot of those players are more of the same that we already have. We need to start looking to getting some game breaking players in order to keep up with the arms race that the Central is turning into. If we keep trying to build a team around a bunch of heart and soul 40-45 point players, we will start to be looking more forward to the draft than a sniff at the playoffs.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
RNH would be acceptable. He's more of what the Blues HAD. Stastny is getting older and hasn't really stepped up like fans hoped. Getting 23yr old 1/2c is without a doubt acceptable, especially when you figure Shattenkirk will cost more then that. So unless your getting back Drouin plus, it's the best deal

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think you guys are all starting to see my point.

What is rumored available is more of what we have. There aren't a ton of game breakers to begin with and those that are are not available.

I see some have mentioned Drouin, but the kid has accomplished less then RNH - who I am not a far of anyways.

Spooner, small undersized center. Tatar and Nyquist don't really fill a position of need.

I kind of like Strome, but have concerns after this year. Was this his sophmore season?? Harvat and McCann are also interesting but bear some big risks.

Are these players difference makers? I don't think so, but added depth is bad either.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Are we overvaluating Shattery? I predict Army will pull out Oshie type of trade with Shattery.

If he gets traded I wish its some team where is possibility to win a cup while his is playing under his prime.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Are we overvaluating Shattery? I predict Army will pull out Oshie type of trade with Shattery.

If he gets traded I wish its some team where is possibility to win a cup while his is playing under his prime.

Shattenkirk would have been moved already if that was the case.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
RNH would be acceptable, now that only one year of Shattenkirk is being traded. I'd rather see a sign-and-trade, but realise that Shattenkirk isn't likely to allow that, because it likely wouldn't be in his interest to do so. I'd rather have at least a 3rd Rounder come along with RNH.

Drouin plus another young prospect of decent quality, or 2nd Rounder added would be okay.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
RNH would be acceptable, now that only one year of Shattenkirk is being traded. I'd rather see a sign-and-trade, but realise that Shattenkirk isn't likely to allow that, because it likely wouldn't be in his interest to do so. I'd rather have at least a 3rd Rounder come along with RNH.

Drouin plus another young prospect of decent quality, or 2nd Rounder added would be okay.

Schwartz RNH Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Eriksson
Fabbri Lehtera Jaskin/Rattie
Refuge Refuge Reaves

Boumeester Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Lindbohm Bortuzzo

That's not the worst lineup and is fairly realistic. I'm a little apprehensive about LE and when we'll see a noticeable decline

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Schwartz RNH Tarasenko
Steen Stastny Eriksson
Fabbri Lehtera Jaskin/Rattie
Refuge Refuge Reaves

Boumeester Pietrangelo
Edmundson Parayko
Lindbohm Bortuzzo

That's not the worst lineup and is fairly realistic. I'm a little apprehensive about LE and when we'll see a noticeable decline

Honestly, I wouldn't mind bringing Gunnerson back. And for the $$, I would rather go after Ladd then Eriksson. Personal opinion.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
IMO, we either just sign Shatty or shop for a first round pick plus (or attempt to move to top 5 OA pick though this would be complicated and probably a stretch).

Regarding his trade value, the topic of the thread, his value depends largely on Shatty himself. If he will sign a reasonable contract with the suitor team, we will get solid value. If he refuses to discuss an extension/new contract with a suitor team, said team will not pay solid value.

The safest route, from a diplomacy standpoint, is to extend him. Again, the one poor outcome for the Blues is him walking next year for nothing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
IMO, we either just sign Shatty or shop for a first round pick plus (or attempt to move to top 5 OA pick though this would be complicated and probably a stretch).

Regarding his trade value, the topic of the thread, his value depends largely on Shatty himself. If he will sign a reasonable contract with the suitor team, we will get solid value. If he refuses to discuss an extension/new contract with a suitor team, said team will not pay solid value.

The safest route, from a diplomacy standpoint, is to extend him. Again, the one poor outcome for the Blues is him walking next year for nothing.

That's not the best outcome from Shattenkirk's view. He will probably want/expect a NMC as an option in his next contract. He should most likely want to negotiate with his next team. The Blues doing a sign and trade is not horribly likely, despite the HF discussions about trade value. Much more likely is that he agrees in principle to a deal with his next team and they trade value accordingly.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
That's not the best outcome from Shattenkirk's view. He will probably want/expect a NMC as an option in his next contract. He should most likely want to negotiate with his next team. The Blues doing a sign and trade is not horribly likely, despite the HF discussions about trade value. Much more likely is that he agrees in principle to a deal with his next team and they trade value accordingly.

I wasn't suggesting a sign and trade. I was saying that we either need to sign him and be done with it (in which case he remains a Blue for the foreseeable future at a mutually agreeable price) or seek his cooperation/buy-in in a trade scenario.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I wasn't nitpicking your post, just commenting on the scenario that seems to be a commonly held option according to HF.

No worries. I honestly think we all want the best for Shatty too--he's a leader on this team and I would hate to see him go. He does hold a lot of the leverage at this point though so he should be able to control his future.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Horvat were offered for Shattenkirk I would think long and hard about it. He obviously isn't there yet, but I see him being a Bergeron type of player. I'm a big fan of his.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014

Haha. I can definitely see the universe where we trade Shatty for a physical D man (probably Polak), a promising goalie prospect, and a mid-round pick.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think people underrate RNH, I'd definitely take him. Spooner wouldn't be bad either.

And people can laugh at these proposals all they want but these are just the center pieces, doesn't mean it's a 1 for 1 swap. And they might not be the only names offered anyways.

I personally think the chances of keeping Shattenkirk are becoming slim for a variety of reasons now so you take the best offer. I think Edmonton would be the top option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad