Salary Cap: Value of nylanders next contract

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Should it not be 80% of what Pastrnak gets?

It should and will be for less. But individual players also sign certain deals with certain teams for specific reasons that can't always be replicated

Around here we tend to get a bit too fixated on 1v1 comparisons when it comes to contract predictions. Best to look at multiple comparable players to get a fairer/more accurate number in mind

Reactions: Its not your fault

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
6 years ago Nylander wanted $8 mil or more according to insiders reports. In today's future present value that would be much more even with a flat cap, that is about to move again.

Now that he produces similar to his $11 mil teammates the gap between him and his own teammates will be a lot closer than $4 mil difference per year. IMO

All that matters is if other teams see that comparison as valid too. Imo his agent would get laughed out of the office if he went around the league demanding to using someone like Matthews as a comparable

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Kane was coming off a season where he had 88 points and a monster playoff performance with 28 points in 22 games leading the Hawks to a cup.
No he wasn't. Kane signed in the first half of his 3rd year.
I think what makes so many people angry about the Marner contract is that teams usually get their star players signed to great value contracts off their ELC and we were all really counting on Dubas to do that for us.
Teams sometimes end up with players on great post-ELC contracts, but that's because the players really break out and establish themselves post-signing, not because the GM did anything special. Dubas can't prevent our players from being so amazing at such a young age. Heck, Babcock even neutered them as much as possible, and all it really accomplished was pissing them off, screwing over the team while they were on their ELCs, and making them want to wait to sign.

Those homerun contracts are flukes. You can't rely on them and be upset at your players because they gave too much value on their ELC. It's not their fault that Lou and Babcock wasted it. Sometimes you get the opportunity for those homerun contracts just because of how things play out. Sometimes you don't. You'd think people would just be happy with the massive surplus value they're still getting from them, instead of being upset that we couldn't underpay them even more.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I definitely hope we can re-sign him, he's sick. He's not Matthews/Marner level, but he's damn, damn good. He'd be a top 2 forward on the majority of teams, and the best forward on some teams. I'd be totally fine giving him $9 mil AAV, 8 years, but hopefully not too much more than that.

It's really too bad we went big money, long term and full NMCs with both JT and Rielly. They're good players too, but Matthews, Marner and Nylander are the trio we want to continue to build around - they're all better than JT/Rielly, and younger (Matthews 25, Marner 25, Willie 26, Rielly 28, JT 32). Like even if all we got was a modified NTC for the last year (or ideally last few years) of JT's deal, we'd be in a much better spot, would have the option to trade him, keep Matthews/Marner/Nylander, and still fill out a nice team around them.

On the bright side, JT's deal does expire just 1 year after Matthews and Nylander. So potentially 2024/25 would be a mega-cap-squeeze, where we'd have to gut the team a bit and have weak depth, but it would only last 1 year. Like even if Matthews/Marner/Nylander collectively get ~$4-5 mil in raises, that's way less than the $11 mil off the books with JT, and the cap is going up. IMO if we're thinking long term, we don't let any of Matthews/Marner/Nylander walk just to avoid slight overpayment, even if it means 2024/25 is rough.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I definitely hope we can re-sign him, he's sick. He's not Matthews/Marner level, but he's damn, damn good. He'd be a top 2 forward on the majority of teams, and the best forward on some teams. I'd be totally fine giving him $9 mil AAV, 8 years, but hopefully not too much more than that.

It's really too bad we went big money, long term and full NMCs with both JT and Rielly. They're good players too, but Matthews, Marner and Nylander are the trio we want to continue to build around - they're all better than JT/Rielly, and younger (Matthews 25, Marner 25, Willie 26, Rielly 28, JT 32). Like even if all we got was a modified NTC for the last year (or ideally last few years) of JT's deal, we'd be in a much better spot, would have the option to trade him, keep Matthews/Marner/Nylander, and still fill out a nice team around them.

On the bright side, JT's deal does expire just 1 year after Matthews and Nylander. So potentially 2024/25 would be a mega-cap-squeeze, where we'd have to gut the team a bit and have weak depth, but it would only last 1 year. Like even if Matthews/Marner/Nylander collectively get ~$4-5 mil in raises, that's way less than the $11 mil off the books with JT, and the cap is going up. IMO if we're thinking long term, we don't let any of Matthews/Marner/Nylander walk just to avoid slight overpayment, even if it means 2024/25 is rough.
What will Tavares sign for? That 11m will just be pretty much spread differently

Reactions: Its not your fault

Mar 26, 2010
Double digits +

The odds of Toronto getting Willy extended are pretty much zero. He is going to test the free agent market.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Nylander's getting 8 figures/per. And the odds of him leaving are extremely high. The only way I see him getting retained is if Matthews leaves and I doubt that's happening.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
unlike the Leafs the rest of the league doesn't hand out 8 digit salaries like Halloween candy . top end will be 9-9.5m x 7 yrs

Reactions: Antropovsky

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
In toronto? No shot he stays in that locker room for less than 9. No shot. I'd dare say 10+. Why? Because that's how he compares to his peers in that locker room.

Matthews is gonna score 40 goals this season but demand 15m. And you think Nylander who kept pace with him should see at least 10???

If the Leafs won't pay that he will get signed for something slightly less in a locker room where he's close to the highest paid forward.

You want him to stay? Basically try and swap his contract with JT's.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If the Leafs won't pay that he will get signed for something slightly less in a locker room where he's close to the highest paid forward.
So you think getting paid less is better than getting paid more as long as you rank higher on your team??
I doubt Nylander shares that view.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Nylander's getting 8 figures/per. And the odds of him leaving are extremely high. The only way I see him getting retained is if Matthews leaves and I doubt that's happening.
LOL: Terribly low resolution bait, amigo.

I'm shaking with anxiety at the necessary scenario you've laid out.

avi-miltz-troll-spray.gif

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know Johnny Hockey is older but he also had better stats and he signed for just over 9mil. Think that’s the comparable for Willie.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So you think getting paid less is better than getting paid more as long as you rank higher on your team??
He will view it as an insult and close that door while selling his wares elsewhere. If he signed for what the Leafs offered it would still be a win since he isn't being insulted and would likely have a larger role to play.

Or better yet, he signs somewhere that doesn't have tax or of which can get out of the first round.

Either way, warm up to the real possibility he isn't a leaf after this contract is up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In toronto? No shot he stays in that locker room for less than 9. No shot. I'd dare say 10+. Why? Because that's how he compares to his peers in that locker room.

Matthews is gonna score 40 goals this season but demand 15m. And you think Nylander who kept pace with him should see at least 10???

You want him to stay? Basically try and swap his contract with JT's.
Laughable. Players in Nylander's stage of their careers are out to maximize earnings.

He's going to want less money in his bank account so he can have the title of the highest paid player on a team?

Say this in your head a couple times and realize how ridiculous it sounds.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Ferris admitted that Marners demands were based on his teammates pay.

Why should Nylander be any different? I expect Nylander, to follow Marners lead, and go for as much money as he can. I believe its also the reason Hyman left. Once the precedence was set, why wouldn't everyone else follow? I know if my company had an internal cap and one person selfishly went for more than he was worth, I wouldn't be taking a pay cut to try and keep the gang together.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Ferris admitted that Marners demands were based on his teammates pay.
Why should Nylander be any different? I expect Nylander, to follow Marners lead, and go for as much money as he can. I believe its also the reason Hyman left. Once the precedence was set, why wouldn't everyone else follow? I know if my company had an internal cap and one person selfishly went for more than he was worth, I wouldn't be taking a pay cut to try and keep the gang together.
Marner's ask was consistent with the history of league-wide comparables, and no, he did not go for as much money as he could or more than he was worth.
I expect Nylander will be no different.

• Haha
Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He will view it as an insult and close that door while selling his wares elsewhere. If he signed for what the Leafs offered it would still be a win since he isn't being insulted and would likely have a larger role to play.

Or better yet, he signs somewhere that doesn't have tax or of which can get out of the first round.

Either way, warm up to the real possibility he isn't a leaf after this contract is up.

If Nylander is interested in a 7 year deal with another team, he'd be even more interested in an 8 year deal which can only be given by the Leafs.

I doubt he turns down more money from Toronto than hed get as a ufa (if caphits are in a similar range) just because of perceptions around status.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad