Value of Dan Hamhuis (Discussion)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't know why people say Shea Weber wouldn't help this team. 2nd time I saw this said. Shea Weber would make the Flyers an instant contender.

My dream will never die.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Umberger + Grossmann for Weber would make us a contender, sure.

Spending the actual assets it would have required to get Weber would probably still leave us out of the playoffs.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Hamhuis isn't worth **** to us as a team that won't make the playoffs. Also, he's not having a great season.

That's news to me!

It hardly matters, the trade is not realistic and as many of you have said, rather pointless.

Just surprised that people think the Canucks best all-around defender and a guy who made the Olympic roster is chopped liver on here. Guy is still very much an elite D, wouldn't want the Canucks to move him.

Also, Hamhuis never had any intention of signing in Philly, or signing with any team before July 1st for that matter, why would some of you hold that against him? It's not like Hamhuis had a say in who traded his rights, he rejected the Pens too. It cost you Ryan Parent and got you a 3rd rounder from the Pens, big deal.

Do you hate all free agents that don't sign with Philly? That would be a long list. ;)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Instead...why don't we help you.

Coburn for the Canucks 1st in 2015 and Shinkaruk

You think Coburn is better and worth more than Hamhuis? Or were you just being sarcastic?

Huh????

I didn't say that.

Those trades are not similar due to where that 2015 1st is going to be for Philly vs the Canucks.

Our pick is 6-7. The Canuck is 15-16. That's a big difference in this years draft.

Make sense now?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He hasn't played since November 20th. 6 points, -5 in 20 games. 4th on the Canucks in TOI/G behind Edler, Bieska and Tanev. 6th in CF% Rel which isn't explained by him facing tougher opposition than the other defensemen because Edler and Tanev have both faced harder Corsi Rel QoC and/or had a lower percentage of Off. Zone starts.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

You'll have to find another taker for this "elite D" that you don't want.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
He hasn't played since November 20th. 6 points, -5 in 20 games. 4th on the Canucks in TOI/G behind Edler, Bieska and Tanev. 6th in CF% Rel which isn't explained by him facing tougher opposition than the other defensemen because Edler and Tanev have both faced harder Corsi Rel QoC and/or had a lower percentage of Off. Zone starts.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

You'll have to find another taker for this "elite D" that you don't want.

This is a perfect example of the problem with stats scouting and peoples belief that these so called "advanced" stats (which really aren't that advanced) are any kind of substitution for actually watching the games. You're using a 20 game sample for this assessment because of his injury. I could take a 20 game sample of Crosby and make his look like the worst player in the league. You don't throw out an entire players career because his last 20 games, especially without appropriate context ie. baby sitting Luca Sbisa & Bieksa. Watch him actually play, there is a reason he was on the Olympic team.

As I said, I don't want a taker and I doubt the Canucks have any interest in trading him.

Huh????

I didn't say that.

Those trades are not similar due to where that 2015 1st is going to be for Philly vs the Canucks.

Our pick is 6-7. The Canuck is 15-16. That's a big difference in this years draft.

Make sense now?

Not when we have to throw in another first rounder in Shinkaruk. Two first round picks, regardless of where they are, is crazy. We couldn't get that for Hamhuis, not sure why Coburn would return that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I didn't say anything about his career, just that his season had not been great. Just like Coburn's hasn't.

RJ8812*

Hamhuis is not an "elite" defenseman

2nd pairing, who can occasionally fill in on the top pair, sure

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Hamhuis is not an "elite" defenseman

2nd pairing, who can occasionally fill in on the top pair, sure

He could (and probably should) play on the first pairing on nearly every team. He is not a traditional #1 like a Doughty or a Subban of course, but he is a top pairing guy who can compliment a player like that perfectly. He is the prototypical #2 Dman, that was why he was chosen for team Canada, he's about as dependable as they come. Still a world class skater with an excellent first pass, probably still has 2 seasons of top level play before he will have to be moved down the lineup.

I'm honestly really surprised that such an educated hockey market thinks so little of him.

I didn't say anything about his career, just that his season had not been great. Just like Coburn's hasn't.

His season has been fine, this is the problem with scouting strictly using stats and with small sample sizes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Then start a trade thread for him and watch the great offers roll in. There's no place for Hamhuis in Philly.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Then start a trade thread for him and watch the great offers roll in. There's no place for Hamhuis in Philly.

Yes, I agree that the Philly trade is pointless and a poor fit, that doesn't mean Hamhuis isn't a great player. It was just surprising to read the takes on him. I believed (falsely obviously) that he was well regarded around the league.

As I said, I personally have zero interest in moving him at all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes, I agree that the Philly trade is pointless and a poor fit, that doesn't mean Hamhuis isn't a great player. It was just surprising to read the takes on him. I believed (falsely obviously) that he was well regarded around the league.

As I said, I personally have zero interest in moving him at all.

You should not be surprised that a team that is bottom 10 in the NHL is not looking to add a 32 year old dman with 1 year left on his deal. Then add in the fact that we could have had him for free, but he chose not to sign. Then add in the fact that the deal is for our 1st rounder...which is looking like 6-7 overall and a former 2nd rounder with top 4 D upside.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
You should not be surprised that a team that is bottom 10 in the NHL is not looking to add a 32 year old dman with 1 year left on his deal. Then add in the fact that we could have had him for free, but he chose not to sign. Then add in the fact that the deal is for our 1st rounder...which is looking like 6-7 overall and a former 2nd rounder with top 4 D upside.

But I'm talking about the player, not the trade. I've said countless times that I agree that the trade makes no sense.

I was surprised at the player evaluation, not the trade evaluation.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
But I'm talking about the player, not the trade. I've said countless times that I agree that the trade makes no sense.

I was surprised at the player evaluation, not the trade evaluation.

Yes, he is a very good defenceman but ageing like the rest of the Canucks. I imagine this is why you posted the proposal as you have no other D-Men in the pipeline other the Corrado.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, he is a very good defenceman but ageing like the rest of the Canucks. I imagine this is why you posted the proposal as you have no other D-Men in the pipeline other the Corrado.

Oh my God... I didn't post the proposal, I don't like the proposal, I want nothing to do with the proposal. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad