Player Discussion: Valtteri Filppula

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We've been invaded by Finland.

Also - just to point out, in NA, the team they play for is WAY more important than the country. It may be different for some/all Euros, but in the States and in Canada you grow up rooting for the team first.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
We've been invaded by Finland.

Also - just to point out, in NA, the team they play for is WAY more important than the country. It may be different for some/all Euros, but in the States and in Canada you grow up rooting for the team first.

It has something to do with NHL season going far beyond WCs, but I would argue even NHLers take Olympics as a thing they aspire almost as much as the Stanley.

But back to the topic: It's maddening how Flip played during reg, but if he keeps this intensity I could see him as POs MVP :)

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It has something to do with NHL season going far beyond WCs, but I would argue even NHLers take Olympics as a thing they aspire almost as much as the Stanley.

Almost, yeah, but not quite as much. There's an old quote from Yzerman saying how great it was to win gold, but how when you're a kid, it's the Stanley Cup you dream about, so the Cup is always the highest point on the mountain.

But that might change if the NHL stays in the Olympics long term. Then kids get to grow up seeing their favorite players winning gold medals--something that didn't really happen in N.A. until '98.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just wanted to give props, great turnover and play to get the puck to Kucherov for the GW goal. Guys needs some love, think he has been fine in this playoffs, and putting Boyle on his line was the best thing.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I agree. He still does some frustrating things at times but he's delivered some good moments as well. I think starting off against his old team got him going again.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I wasn't happy at all with him in the regular season but Filppula's experience is making a big difference in tight situations during the playoffs. Overtime, close game he's stood out in a great way.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Flip was really sexy tonight. :3 In a way kinda invigorated the Tampa game and prolly put some wasabi in Stamkos water to make him *snap* out of slump. ;)

ps. Finns, Swedes, Russians, Czechs and Slovaks all consider National team jersey more important than NHL team jersey, and Olympic Gold the biggest thing possible. Basicly all eurocountries with a chance at Olympic gold consider it the paramount accomplishment. I think we're still about 5-10 years away from a Finnish junior who has had the chance to watch NHL regularly since childhood...and then there's the time difference to complicate matters. :|
pps. I'd say for Slovaks (1) and Finns (2), even World Championships mean more. Because it's so rare and because 2 million people go crazy and make it bigger than the Stanley Cup in most locations.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
ps. Finns, Swedes, Russians, Czechs and Slovaks all consider National team jersey more important than NHL team jersey, and Olympic Gold the biggest thing possible. Basicly all eurocountries with a chance at Olympic gold consider it the paramount accomplishment. I think we're still about 5-10 years away from a Finnish junior who has had the chance to watch NHL regularly since childhood...and then there's the time difference to complicate matters. :|
pps. I'd say for Slovaks (1) and Finns (2), even World Championships mean more. Because it's so rare and because 2 million people go crazy and make it bigger than the Stanley Cup in most locations.

I don't agree with that at all. In any interview you see with young-semi young players nowdays you'll be hearing how their biggest dream is to win the cup.

Probably even the case with older players.

Olympics aren't what they used to be. Stanley cup is the ultimate prize no matter where you're from.

But i do agree the pride and passion to wear your national team shirt is a bit higher with euros. Stanley cup isn't quite the same than it is for NA's but that's totally understandable since we rarely grow up cheering for an NHL team rather than our own country.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope when people talk about cap hits and cap issues, they will remember these playoffs before talking about moving Flip and putting guys like Namestikov in his place.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Carey's wife aside: Dude seriously, go practice one-timers! Second time these playoffs Val gives away an amazing chance like that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Carey's wife aside: Dude seriously, go practice one-timers! Second time these playoffs Val gives away an amazing chance like that.

I don't think anybody's going to one-time that pass. Stamkos sent it over about 75 mph and a step behind Flip's wheelhouse. It looked like a low wrist shot. Flip did well to corral it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It was a great save by Price, but Flip needs to roof that. Don't give Price a chance to make that save.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Want to throw some acknowledgement in Filppula's direction here. We remember the halcyon days of that first round and that 90/51/13 line, right? (Sorry/not sorry for the nightmares I'm giving you guys.) In that first round, this team only had one real scoring line, while Stamkos was stuck with carbon copy non-possession-monster grinders who couldn't help set him up, and that three center line was busy being about as effective as we could imagine a three center line with two kids under the age of 22 being on it would be.

Cooper shifted up the units, put Filppula at center and moved Stamkos to wing, and ever since then, this team has at least had a second dangerous scoring line. We kvetch about the uselessness of the bottom six (five) and for good reason, because this team has been getting no secondary scoring to speak of whatsoever, but this is still a far better sight than what we were seeing in the first round, if nothing else. Filppula was getting killed by two rookies not ready for playoff hockey, and after he got moved up to Stamkos and Killorn's line, he's back to looking indispensable. A credit to Flip.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yes, he's finally settled back in to what made him such a great pick up last year. I hope we keep finding ways to utilize him properly going forward.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
It was a great save by Price, but Flip needs to roof that. Don't give Price a chance to make that save.

well.. at least he made a proper shot towards a goal, half of an wingers in the league (lets say Minnesota for example) wouldn't even do that!

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I believe he's a very underrated player - the opposite of flashy but he makes awfully many good plays during a game, and awfully few bad ones. Excellent defensively, dangerous offensively.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I believe he's a very underrated player - the opposite of flashy but he makes awfully many good plays during a game, and awfully few bad ones. Excellent defensively, dangerous offensively.

Filppula is actually very, very flashy..

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Flip actually is 2 times better than he was in the regular season. I've been very critical of him before the playoffs and he shut that ***** mouth of mine. Here is the true Valtteri, "filthy hands" Flippula. Crow never tasted better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Flip actually is 2 times better than he was in the regular season. I've been very critical of him before the playoffs and he shut that ***** mouth of mine. Here is the true Valtteri, "filthy hands" Flippula. Crow never tasted better.

2C Flip is very good. Better than all other versions.

Wirtaneh

In Mantha we trust
Aug 10, 2014
Finland
Did Filppula play alongside Stamkos during the regular season? I haven't paid attention how those two have played together. I didn't have clue about the Lightning team in general before they faced Red Wings on the first round.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Did Filppula play alongside Stamkos during the regular season? I haven't paid attention how those two have played together. I didn't have clue about the Lightning team in general before they faced Red Wings on the first round.

As his left wing at times. I believe the POs are the first time Val was moved to center his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad