Player Discussion: Valtteri Filppula

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Thought it'd be good to make a thread about Flip. What are your thoughts about him so far?

He's been just incredible. Not one bad shift. I can't believe that I disliked the contract when he signed it - obviously it's a small sample size but if he keeps playing like this the contract is absolutely great. He has been the best Lightning forward so far IMO.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Thought it'd be good to make a thread about Flip. What are your thoughts about him so far?

He's been just incredible. Not one bad shift. I can't believe that I disliked the contract when he signed it - obviously it's a small sample size but if he keeps playing like this the contract is absolutely great. He has been the best Lightning forward so far IMO.

I agree. That last play tonight, when he drove through the boards with 3 Sabres on him, and he still had that puck. Cooper wasn't lying when he said it was like a yo-yo on his stick. I've been extremely happy with him so far. He did tonight however pass up a prime shooting chance in the slot, but really, that's my only gripe so far. He's been great.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He plays with the puck a little more than I'd like but other than that he's been great. He does everything and does it well.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
^ I was about to.

:naughty:

He's a very good player and fills that need perfectly. Its only been 3 games, but after watching him for several years, about 20 games a season, I knew what he would bring to the table. Nothing short of a former Red Wing. He's going to excel doing the little things he does and being that "impact" player or contributor when he needs to be.

Was happy when we signed him, even happier to see him shutting the "experts" up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're not alone in questioning that contract. I think everyone did at the time. We're only three games in, but he's been arguably our best player (on average) throughout those three games. I thought he was our best forward vs. both Chi and Bos, and he was good again tonight.

The big thing about him is composure and consistency. He gives you the same thing shift after shift, regardless of the situation. It's nice to see him jump on the ice when it feels like momentum is swinging against us. That was a big-time issue last year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I said the contract was one year or 5 million more than I liked but I knew what he brings being a red wing fan. He is not datsyuk or zetterberg but was next best option to teach the young guys two way hockey and detroit system. I expected him to be solid defensively and occasionally be spectacular offensively the surprising thing is he seems to just keep getting better at puck control on boards etc.. He seems to have made a jump in that regards he would always fight etc.. he is just better at it now. The knock on him was he isnt physical lol.

I loved that one when people were debating the contract I was like the guy goes into the net area fearlessly and he is awesome on board play what more do you want out of a forward?

He is really solid defensively honestly and I believe would stop a puck with his face which is insane but he will always go down for blocks etc.. Fearless

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He was playing this good 2 seasons ago in Detroit as well.. but last year.. wowzer.. that was awful. Hopefully he can play this weel on a consistant basis and you've got yourself a player!

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Filppula is a poor mans Datsyuk/Zetterberg. Same size, a bit faster skater than Z, but in terms of skill/overall play, a notch or two below of Z and Datsyuk. I´m also certain that Filppula´s level of play wont decrease until he is close to 36-37. He is first and foremost amazingly talented and motivated athlete, which will help him to play at least for 6-7 years in high level.

A 70point player with good overall game and experience on winning. A perfect 2nd line player for any team. And worth of 5million bucks per season IMO.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He was playing this good 2 seasons ago in Detroit as well.. but last year.. wowzer.. that was awful. Hopefully he can play this weel on a consistant basis and you've got yourself a player!

He was injured from overseas play and never got game together last year. Honestly last few weeks of season and in playoffs he was simply awesome creating scoring chances constantly on a less than talented third line assignment most nights. Or a young line etc..

Filppula is a poor mans Datsyuk/Zetterberg. Same size, a bit faster skater than Z, but in terms of skill/overall play, a notch or two below of Z and Datsyuk. I´m also certain that Filppula´s level of play wont decrease until he is close to 36-37. He is first and foremost amazingly talented and motivated athlete, which will help him to play at least for 6-7 years in high level.

A 70point player with good overall game and experience on winning. A perfect 2nd line player for any team. And worth of 5million bucks per season IMO.

Zetterberg might be equal to flip in defense datsyuk is just incredibly good lol sickening good at that. Offensively both are better than flip.

So a poor mans is a good thing or something to say. He is elite second line center though and brings everything to table.

Most people think namestnikov can be as good two way player or better and if he can wow he will really be great for tampa in the future:)

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
I said the contract was one year or 5 million more than I liked but I knew what he brings being a red wing fan. He is not datsyuk or zetterberg but was next best option to teach the young guys two way hockey and detroit system. I expected him to be solid defensively and occasionally be spectacular offensively the surprising thing is he seems to just keep getting better at puck control on boards etc.. He seems to have made a jump in that regards he would always fight etc.. he is just better at it now. The knock on him was he isnt physical lol.

So he isn't worth more than 500k? :sarcasm:

Yeah, but wasn't he playing injured to start the season? At least I think so.

He's definitely very skilled but 70 points is a huge stretch when he hasn't even hit 60 points more than once. I do think that he's able to put up 60+ points this season though.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
So he isn't worth more than 500k? :sarcasm:
Yeah, but wasn't he playing injured to start the season? At least I think so.

He's definitely very skilled but 70 points is a huge stretch when he hasn't even hit 60 points more than once. I do think that he's able to put up 60+ points this season though.

I'm confused? He received 25 million for five years.

I am saying I would prefer 20 million at 4 years.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

I'm confused? He received 25 million for five years.

I am saying I would prefer 20 million at 4 years.

Sorry, I misunderstood. :laugh: I thought you accidentally typed that you would've wanted 5 million dollars smaller cap hit and meant that you would've wanted a million smaller cap hit.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I really like what Filppula brings, he's one of the only guy (maybe Purcell) on this team who can keep the puck on his stick for longer periods than most player, he has tremendous vision and it was obvious when we played Chicago that puck possesion was a big part of their game. He slows the game when he enters the offensive zone.

I said it on Twitter before, and I'll say it again, the contracts avg price has risen more NOW than last couple of season. If Bozak is worth 5 years 4.2M$/year. Believe it or not, but contract are going up, two-way Centermen are hard to find these days.

Read the following article he's worth this contract, and once guys like Vlad Namestnikov, Tyler Johnson are ready to take over the #2 C spot, he can easily move over to LW. He's a very versatile player.

http://boltstatistics.com/2013/07/23/nuts-and-bolts-an-analytical-profile-of-valtteri-filppula/

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For my money, Pavel Datsyuk is the best puck-handler in the league, and to be honest, he's pretty close to the best I've ever seen, with the only real arguments coming from guys like #99 and #66.

I think Teddy Purcell is a good puck-handler, but I see the word "elite" thrown around a lot and I don't see that at all. I don't think Val Filppula is elite either, but he's a lot closer. I'd love to see what he and Stamkos would look like on the same line for a brief period, although I realize how hard it'd be to juggle the lineup to make it happen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
For my money, Pavel Datsyuk is the best puck-handler in the league, and to be honest, he's pretty close to the best I've ever seen, with the only real arguments coming from guys like #99 and #66.

I think Teddy Purcell is a good puck-handler, but I see the word "elite" thrown around a lot and I don't see that at all. I don't think Val Filppula is elite either, but he's a lot closer. I'd love to see what he and Stamkos would look like on the same line for a brief period, although I realize how hard it'd be to juggle the lineup to make it happen.

maybe

first line of malone-stamkos-flip. or marty instead of malone. the other one in second line with purcell, and killorn at c.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
maybe

first line of malone-stamkos-flip. or marty instead of malone. the other one in second line with purcell, and killorn at c.

Good point about Killorn at center. I forgot about that option. Although, if they do Flip and Stamkos, I'd like to see Stammer and Marty split up (briefly) to keep firepower throughout the lineup. Also, I'd rather see Flip at C than Stamkos.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Good point about Killorn at center. I forgot about that option. Although, if they do Flip and Stamkos, I'd like to see Stammer and Marty split up (briefly) to keep firepower throughout the lineup. Also, I'd rather see Flip at C than Stamkos.

agreed.

let stamkos just focus on sniping. and not losing faceoffs.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Flip and Killer line has been golden, regardless of who the third is. That's looking the kind of two-way line we'd been missing during the recent rough patch.

There is something to be said when Flip-Killer line is outplaying the Stamkos-Marty line. They have just been ridiculous so far this year.

The way Flip moves on the ice is just amazing to me. He has near perfect awareness. I noticed it in this game. When the defenseman went deep for the puck, he immediately took their spot on the ice, instead of sucking up into the play leaving the breakaway opportunity like last what happened so much last year.
I think Yaz knew what he was doing with Flip... lets hope he keeps it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad