Injury Report: Valimaki Torn ACL, Requires Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He has the most potential to be a franchise Dman within our group.
Anyone who watched him in Junior can understand why he's viewed so highly. Guy's a can't miss top 4D, and he has the tools to be something fantastic back there.

Where in the world was he seen as a #3? He was projected to anchor our bottom pair with Ras to start the year. But even you, can't tell me his play last year in the playoffs wasn't damn impressive in a series where there was almost no one who fit that bill.

He played ok in a bottom pairing role when he was healthy and then was solid in 2 playoff games when compared to a dcore that got its dicks kicked in... hardly projecting towards franchise dman status.

Also, he was projected as a #3 on his draft day. I don’t see why that would significantly increase as of today.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He played ok in a bottom pairing role when he was healthy and then was solid in 2 playoff games when compared to a dcore that got its dicks kicked in... hardly projecting towards franchise dman status.

Also, he was projected as a #3 on his draft day. I don’t see why that would significantly increase as of today.

Fantasy is always at all time high before reality kicks in

Not saying he will or he won't but since he can't play, people are allowed to fantasize and wet dreams... Bennett would have been a superstar if he stopped at 18 lol

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Yeah it’s smart after all to make sure he is 100% before rushing him...

But I remember being injured badly myself and fighting my way back for month just to play the last game before the summer break was even more fuel for me train harder than ever...mentally that was a huge push

But I guess that they don’t factor that in and better gongten safe route bringing him back next season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Ryan Getzlaf was projected as a 2/3C.
Hunter Shinkaruk was projected as a top 6 30 goal scorer.
Mikael Backlund was projected as an offensive top 6 centre.

Anyone who takes those seriously needs to give their head a shake. After D+1, all projections are out the window. The guy would have won the Bill Hunter trophy in 2017/2018 had he not been injured (and was still in the running even though he had like 20 less games than the other players).

You also forget at 20 years old he was Stockton's 1D for 20 games too, and was one hell of a player down there too. I know you're all down and shit on this team, like some kind of DFF burner account, but you should be able to see some pretty great potential from this kid. That or maybe a Flamescation might do you some good.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ryan Getzlaf was projected as a 2/3C.
Hunter Shinkaruk was projected as a top 6 30 goal scorer.
Mikael Backlund was projected as an offensive top 6 centre.

Anyone who takes those seriously needs to give their head a shake. After D+1, all projections are out the window. The guy would have won the Bill Hunter trophy in 2017/2018 had he not been injured (and was still in the running even though he had like 20 less games than the other players).

You also forget at 20 years old he was Stockton's 1D for 20 games too, and was one hell of a player down there too. I know you're all down and shit on this team, like some kind of DFF burner account, but you should be able to see some pretty great potential from this kid. That or maybe a Flamescation might do you some good.

He could absolutely be great, but I think the hyberpole needs to be turned back a bit. I find it very hard to believe he will go from a consensus #3d to a franchise player after missing 3/4 of the last 2 years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He could absolutely be great, but I think the hyberpole needs to be turned back a bit. I find it very hard to believe he will go from a consensus #3d to a franchise player after missing 3/4 of the last 2 years.

Franchise player is major hyperbole IMO, but just wondering if it's a misuse of words.

I think Valimaki's upside after seeing him in the NHL is similar to Hamilton's upside (which isn't even at it's peak yet) which may be a high end 2D, occasional 1D. Heck, with injuries included, I think he's a comparable to Chychrun easily. I might be wrong, but I really think he's exceptionally similar to Chychrun and that kid is also just scratching the surface.

Yes, there's a huge difference in potential and NHL performance. But Valimaki showed NHL performance and NHL upside in the NHL. This isn't pure projections from a lower league. The kid is not a potential tweener and has already shown he is a surefire NHLer. At his young age, he showed stable 4/5D capabilities and showed 3D flashes much earlier than expected as a green horn. The kid showed as much, if not more poise as Andersson at the age of 20 as Andersson did at the age of 21 and as a result played 24 games to Andersson's 10. Andersson played 79 games at the age of 22. He just ironically comes from Nokia and wasn't as indestructible as the dumb phones of yore. Seriously though, we are comparing what Valimaki has achieved directly against his peers in the NHL and he gets high marks. Think about that for a sec.

Valimaki has been evaluated at the NHL level by most is his brains/hockey IQ. He can already process the game at an average to slightly above average level for all dmen IMO almost 2-3 seasons earlier than expected (ie: A Kylington and Anderson parallel trajectory). He wasn't using physical tools and pure adrenaline motor to stay afloat. When I watched him, I felt like he is top 4 quality now. I think he's on par with Andersson, but Andersson is more physically and mentally mature being 2 years older than he is. I feel he is the same tier of player as Hanifin, but Hanifin is more consistent at the moment.

Yes, Valimaki was slated to be a 3D, but 2D upside and possibly mid/late career mid range 1D upside (ie: Gio's super stable but not premier elite levels) aren't insane with this guy. Heck as an absolute flub and failure situation I think for Valimaki is a Brodie career parallel. That's still a solid 2D range situation with 1D flashes and IMO is similar to what Chychrun is showing right now with higher end back end talent on the roster, no?

All in all, with injury considerations and lost development, I think Valimaki has shown enough at the NHL level to show he easily will be a premium 2/3D in the same vein as Chychrun. What constitutes as franchise D might be watered down these days, but I don't think it's hyperbole or homerism at all to believe he will be a premium dman (not elite) for his career. Look at the draft rankings that other fan bases vote on. Valimaki was always considered in the top tiers of that draft group of dmen and still technically is even with the time lost to injury. That outside perspective is important to consider. If they too think Valimaki is a good one, why shouldn't we?

Seriously consider this fact in a vaccum right now. We have 3 dmen from the 2015 draft on our back end (Hanifin, Andersson and Kylington) and Valimaki is from the 2017 draft.

By NHL games played, Andersson is a sophomore, Kylington is a rookie and Hanifin is a vet. Valimaki with injury currently sits on par with Kylington. That group alone is a damn solid group to grow with. Adding Valimaki is amazing as it is a group of 4 that all seems to have 2nd pairing floor.

OT: With the Gustafsson acquisition, the 2013 love affair isn't over yet.

I am not disparaging your remarks super. I think your opinion has plenty of merit. I just feel like you're more pessimistic than cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: King In The North

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just to nitpick. Getzlaf was seen has having top-6 C, potentially 1st C upside but questions about his commitment and attitude were what dropped him down a lot of teams draft lists.

I can almost guarantee when Getzlaf gets picked Bob MacKenzie says something like:
Very raw, great offensive instincts, can also play a two-way game; he projects to be a great second or third line centre.

I only sort-of remember that because I think in the early 2010's TSN did a draft special about that class and that was one of the things that when I rewatched it, I was like... what the hell; he was only projected to be a middle 6 guy?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I can almost guarantee when Getzlaf gets picked Bob MacKenzie says something like:
Very raw, great offensive instincts, can also play a two-way game; he projects to be a great second or third line centre.

I only sort-of remember that because I think in the early 2010's TSN did a draft special about that class and that was one of the things that when I rewatched it, I was like... what the hell; he was only projected to be a middle 6 guy?

Interesting. Reminds me, there is an ancient THN archive of those speculating over the Jarome Iginla pick, at the time. Which is now lost, but it projected him as a 3rd line power forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting. Reminds me, there is an ancient THN archive of those speculating over the Jarome Iginla pick, at the time. Which is now lost, but it projected him as a 3rd line power forward.

Using what people expected at the draft to identify a players' ceiling or ability years after they're draft is a useless exercise.
Guys take steps forward, guys improve, guys stumble, etc etc.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
After the Colorado series Valimaki there is little doubt of his abilities.

Valimaki is as good or better than Makar and Heiskanen. Makar is already on the first pairing and Heiskanen would be if not for Klingberg.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Valimaki is as good or better than Makar and Heiskanen. Makar is already on the first pairing and Heiskanen would be if not for Klingberg.

giphy.gif

I like Valimaki a lot, but... uhh... who have you been watching?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad