Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nichushkin's gonna play limited minutes on the road all season because it's harder to shelter him. I suggest getting used to it.

As far as KHL vs NHL, I couldn't imagine the KHL providing a better development situation, unless you believe Ruff doesn't develop players well, which is a fairly common viewpoint apparently. Playing in the NHL for a team that's focused on developing a ridiculously young core seems like the best case scenario. He gets some offensive opportunities at home, and learns the defensive and physical side on the road. KHL teams don't have any interest in his future or development, they are more likely to castrate his ice time if he's not playing well.

How is that a common viewpoint that Ruff doesn't develop guys?

Vanek, Pominville, Drury, Briere, .... the list goes on for forwards he's turned into above average forwards.

I'll take 4th line in the NHL over 3rd ... even 2nd .... in the KHL. Those are the only options, and we have to live with it. Europeans typically develop this way anyway in their home county. You don't see a guy getting sheltered in U-20 until he's ready for top minutes. It's pretty common for them to work their way up from the bottom.

He'll either develop or he won't, but I don't think it will have anything to do with how Dallas is playing him right now. He's physically mature enough to be in the NHL.

So is Ritchie ... the difference is the AHL is an option for him where it does make sense to let him develop a bit. Each guy is unique, and you adjust given your options.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He'll either develop or he won't, but I don't think it will have anything to do with how Dallas is playing him right now. He's physically mature enough to be in the NHL.

It sounds like you're making the case that physical maturity is the only legitimate concern for rushing and possibly ruining a player.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It sounds like you're making the case that physical maturity is the only legitimate concern for rushing and possibly ruining a player.

I am in Nichushkin's case. Like I said everyone is different.

Because the other option is leaving him in the KHL ... breaking out there ... and realizing there's not much point in leaving home.

He wants to be in the NHL, and it seems to be important to him, but what's to say getting sent back down won't leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Just look at Kuznetsov in Washington. As the 26th overall pick, it won't hurt nearly as much if he decides to not come over, but losing a 10th overall pick for nothing would be rough ... especially considering their 8th overall pick at best looks like he might be a Bottom 6 grinder ... assuming he could stay healthy.

Kuznetsov is now faced with taking 3 years of only $925K guaranteed in the NHL or the option of getting paid premium money for being the best player on his KHL team (which he has been the last 2 years). No reasonable person would blame a kid for taking 3 times or more money to stay home and become a hockey star.

I think you're applying a comment about a single player to an entire philosophy on development. I made a point to say I wasn't doing that .. even using Ritchie as a close example about how that wouldn't apply to a different guy.

The KHL sucks ... because it's a damn good league where guys can make money. I think you do your damn best to keep him as far from there as possible. Seems like the best choice of a less than ideal situation.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
How is that a common viewpoint that Ruff doesn't develop guys?

Vanek, Pominville, Drury, Briere, .... the list goes on for forwards he's turned into above average forwards.

I'll take 4th line in the NHL over 3rd ... even 2nd .... in the KHL. Those are the only options, and we have to live with it. Europeans typically develop this way anyway in their home county. You don't see a guy getting sheltered in U-20 until he's ready for top minutes. It's pretty common for them to work their way up from the bottom.

So is Ritchie ... the difference is the AHL is an option for him where it does make sense to let him develop a bit. Each guy is unique, and you adjust given your options.

It's just something I've gathered in my travels. It's not a viewpoint I actually hold. Vanek is a guy that was used as an example of a guy he couldn't develop... until he broke out anyway.

A year in the KHL after the draft might have done him some good, just because he hasn't really logged a bunch of minutes in any league over the last few years. It's pretty apparent he's behind in some very basic areas as a result. However, before the draft I believed he was NHL ready and still do. Those basic areas will improve even faster in the NHL, and he does enough things well to earn the spot soon on the merit of ability rather than potential.

Also, it's pretty common everywhere that players work their way up the lineup, and I'm not suggesting the NHL is a better place because of some likelihood that opportunity will just be handed to him. It's better because he'll be around Stars coaches, trainers, nutritionists, doctors, etc which are all world class. Also, the best time to adjust to a new culture and language is at as young of an age as possible. Any time spent in the KHL is just hindering his acclimation.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think we actually agreed on everything but the Ruff comment. You're right though I've heard others say it, I just thought I bring it up this time.

I think the comment might mostly be about Myers, but IDK. I just know there are a long line of forwards that have grown into very good NHLers with Ruff.

Brian Campbell BTW would be a very good example of a D that developed well playing for him.

MetalGodAOD*

I think that reaction comes from Grigorenko last year too. I know it's similar situations, but somehow I feel Nich playing the 4th line isn't near as damning as Grigorenko doing it. Maybe because Grig had the option of going to the OHL? Also Grigs is constantly derided for lack of competitiveness and effort.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think that reaction comes from Grigorenko last year too. I know it's similar situations, but somehow I feel Nich playing the 4th line isn't near as damning as Grigorenko doing it. Maybe because Grig had the option of going to the OHL?

He did have the option of going back to the Q, and he actually eventually did.

One difference to me is I see Nichushkin playing the body and making plays on the backcheck. He's honestly playing a good enough game to be in the lineup.

I say let other fans overreact to his numbers. He fits, and he's not getting overmatched IMO.

Perfect world .. yeah he's playing in the AHL. If he was getting physically dominated ... bite the bullet and send him back.

The fact is he's playing 14 minutes a game in the NHL, and he clearly doesn't look out of place. This work right now could pay off as soon as the end of the season. He started as a 4th liner in the KHL last year before hitting his stride in the playoffs. Not saying the exact same thing happens as quickly in the NHL, but he's playing a solid overall game right now without the offense. I'd say there's a good chance that will come.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
From a stats POV ... he's one of the top hitters on the team, has no giveaways, and he has 4 takeaways.

We can't even get Goligoski to play that well in his own zone. :sarcasm:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I am in Nichushkin's case. Like I said everyone is different.

Because the other option is leaving him in the KHL ... breaking out there ... and realizing there's not much point in leaving home.

He wants to be in the NHL, and it seems to be important to him, but what's to say getting sent back down won't leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Just look at Kuznetsov in Washington. As the 26th overall pick, it won't hurt nearly as much if he decides to not come over, but losing a 10th overall pick for nothing would be rough ... especially considering their 8th overall pick at best looks like he might be a Bottom 6 grinder ... assuming he could stay healthy.

Kuznetsov is now faced with taking 3 years of only $925K guaranteed in the NHL or the option of getting paid premium money for being the best player on his KHL team (which he has been the last 2 years). No reasonable person would blame a kid for taking 3 times or more money to stay home and become a hockey star.

I think you're applying a comment about a single player to an entire philosophy on development. I made a point to say I wasn't doing that .. even using Ritchie as a close example about how that wouldn't apply to a different guy.

The KHL sucks ... because it's a damn good league where guys can make money. I think you do your damn best to keep him as far from there as possible. Seems like the best choice of a less than ideal situation.

You're speaking more specifically about the one player than I was, but given this is a thread about Nichushkin that would be my mistake.

However, I would like to have the discussion about whether Nichushkin would have been best served by playing in the AHL. Obviously, that was never going to be part of the equation, but given that this fact was known prior to the draft we can look back in the future and judge the pick with it in mind.

I had severe hesitation about Nichushkin before the draft because I don't like it when a player dictates his course of development. I realize he was/is under contract with a team from a European league which he was only able to get away from if he were to play in the NHL. Nill and company knew the situation and knew that they weren't going to have their choice of development.

Is Nichushkin physically ready for the NHL? That seems to be an obvious "yes." Does that mean he is "ready" for the NHL? Not in and of itself. Some players need to finish juniors and then play a couple years in the minors to fill out. Some need that time to learn how not to rely so heavily on physical tools, to learn to think the game better. We'll never know with Nichushkin because the option wasn't on the table but I can't help but think he would be a better player in the future if he had a year or two in the AHL to work out the mental things.

As far as Ritchie goes, all things considered he's more NHL ready now than Nichushkin. He is simply being put through the paces that prospects normally go through.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You're dancing around this so I just want to make sure you are 100% clear ....

Valeri didn't dictate anything. His team, who could have blocked him from coming to the NHL, allowed him to come to NA for the NHL only. That's how it's been reported by several different sources.

Therefore ... the AHL discussion is pointless like you said. No point in even bringing it up. I don't think you pass on a potential world class talent because you have to develop him down the lineup rather than your ideal situation. Dallas honestly hasn't drafted a guy with this much potential since the North Stars took Modano.

It's a worthy and needed risk that you can't be too upset if it doesn't go well. I'd rather see them take a chance on talent then make another strange pick like Glennie. Strange because they didn't even interview the guy or show any interest in him. It wasn't even a "safe" pick ... how could it be safe if you didn't do the homework?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
"He dictates" or "his KHL dictates", it still equates to the same bottom line. Was he forced to sign a KHL contract that would take him past his draft year?

There's only one or two players I would have been happy with drafting at that spot if we passed on Nichushkin (Wennberg and Domi). I'm not convinced they won't end up better players, either. He wasn't the only choice to be made at #10 and nobody would really have batted an eye if we had. It would have just been yet another draft day story of a highly ranked guy dropping.

I have high hopes for the kid and I'm not saying he is being ruined by playing down the lineup. I'm just saying that I don't like the organization having their hands tied more than they need to be. The lure of staying in Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc. is generally a non-issue. It's only really an issue (and a quite legitimate one) when talking about Russian players. Your example of Kuznetsov being the poster boy for this type of thing, regardless of draft position.

Since you brought up Modano, what line did he play on the year after his draft? I know, I know, different situations...

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
"He dictates" or "his KHL dictates", it still equates to the same bottom line. Was he forced to sign a KHL contract that would take him past his draft year?

Um, actually, yes, most underage players in Russia are forced into these kind of deals as a course of clubs recouping junior development costs.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Of course, then we have the Russian CHL players. There are options. Most choose to stay in Russia and make some dough before their Canadian counterparts really get much of a chance to.

I should change the tone of my comment earlier. If a player has no real choice and is put on a course beyond himself then so be it. I suppose that is different than a guy telling his NHL club to eff off because he's not going to the minors. As I said before though, ultimately it's the same bottom line to the NHL team.

This is the Russian factor in a nutshell. C'est la vie.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
You can thank the Russian factor for Nichushkin being Stars property because if he were Canadian there is no way he would have fallen out of the top 3.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
And we could be sitting here talking about one of the other talented players who were drafted before him. Until he fulfills his potential I'll hold off on thanking my lucky stars for those turn of events.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003

There's only one or two players I would have been happy with drafting at that spot if we passed on Nichushkin (Wennberg and Domi). I'm not convinced they won't end up better players, either. He wasn't the only choice to be made at #10 and nobody would really have batted an eye if we had. It would have just been yet another draft day story of a highly ranked guy dropping.

I have high hopes for the kid and I'm not saying he is being ruined by playing down the lineup. I'm just saying that I don't like the organization having their hands tied more than they need to be. The lure of staying in Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc. is generally a non-issue. It's only really an issue (and a quite legitimate one) when talking about Russian players. Your example of Kuznetsov being the poster boy for this type of thing, regardless of draft position.

Since you brought up Modano, what line did he play on the year after his draft? I know, I know, different situations...
Yes he was, and PLENTY of people would have been pissed had we passed Nichushkin. Probably like Canucks fans, we would have eventually convinced ourselves whoever else we picked was the right choice (or some would). But that is just flat out wrong. The stigma of this team making safe picks year in year out and not going for the high risk, high reward player is too strong. I think many fans were sick of that, and believed this was the draft to target an elite level talent whether that be moving up or taking the most talented guy that fell. We did that.

There are not more than 4 players from this draft with more natural talent than Nichushkin IMO, and this is one of the strongest drafts in a long while. Some of his fellow first rounders have got off to a better start, but that doesn't equate to more talent. Players develop at different rates.

You can see it at times when he backchecks and skates after a puck despite giving up plenty of ground to an opposition player, he mows them down in the blink of an eye. He's a fantastic skater for his size. And he's one of those guys who doesn't look like he's moving at all so you might not initially notice, it's only when you see him in comparison to another skater you comprehend he's absolutely flying. He's looked fairly promising defensively I'd say, given this was apparently a major weakness of his.

And the talent he showed in pre-season hasn't disappeared. He's playing a far more disciplined game since the regular season started, which may even be under instruction. I expect Ruff has quite possibly asked him to concentrate on his defense first and getting used to the smaller rink and faster pace, letting the offense come later as he acclimates. He's barely attempted carrying the puck into the offensive zone quickly passing off to teammates which inevitably results in turnovers and him spending a lot of time in the D-zone given who he's playing with. I'd say that's part confidence as he gets used to the NA game and defers to his more experienced teammates, but also some part instruction given he wasn't this passive in pre-season.

He's still very raw and there are consistency issues, but you've seen the offensive ability in pre-season and he's shown really good activity in the defensive end in the regular season. It's just about putting it all together which is going to be a process over a few seasons most likely.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yes he was, and PLENTY of people would have been pissed had we passed Nichushkin. Probably like Canucks fans, we would have eventually convinced ourselves whoever else we picked was the right choice (or some would). But that is just flat out wrong. The stigma of this team making safe picks year in year out and not going for the high risk, high reward player is too strong. I think many fans were sick of that, and believed this was the draft to target an elite level talent whether that be moving up or taking the most talented guy that fell. We did that.

There are not more than 4 players from this draft with more natural talent than Nichushkin IMO, and this is one of the strongest drafts in a long while. Some of his fellow first rounders have got off to a better start, but that doesn't equate to more talent. Players develop at different rates.

You can see it at times when he backchecks and skates after a puck despite giving up plenty of ground to an opposition player, he mows them down in the blink of an eye. He's a fantastic skater for his size. And he's one of those guys who doesn't look like he's moving at all so you might not initially notice, it's only when you see him in comparison to another skater you comprehend he's absolutely flying. He's looked fairly promising defensively I'd say, given this was apparently a major weakness of his.

And the talent he showed in pre-season hasn't disappeared. He's playing a far more disciplined game since the regular season started, which may even be under instruction. I expect Ruff has quite possibly asked him to concentrate on his defense first and getting used to the smaller rink and faster pace, letting the offense come later as he acclimates. He's barely attempted carrying the puck into the offensive zone quickly passing off to teammates which inevitably results in turnovers and him spending a lot of time in the D-zone given who he's playing with. I'd say that's part confidence as he gets used to the NA game and defers to his more experienced teammates, but also some part instruction given he wasn't this passive in pre-season.

He's still very raw and there are consistency issues, but you've seen the offensive ability in pre-season and he's shown really good activity in the defensive end in the regular season. It's just about putting it all together which is going to be a process over a few seasons most likely.

Ok, so first off because it's starting to feel like I'm coming across as anti-Nichushkin I just want to say, that's not the case. From what little I've seen he is very talented. He has some great physical skills. What I have yet to see though, is the higher level hockey IQ that one expects from a top 10 pick.

Yes, at times he plays quite conservatively. At others, he does no-look drop passes five feet inside the offensive zone that get picked off 9/10 times. I think there's a good chance he gets there mentally, but so far it's hit or miss.

Now, onto the question of the draft. If we had passed on Nichushkin we would have questioned it for sure, but would we lament the decision? I doubt it. Maybe in 5 years we would, but again, that's the future and he has a lot to live up to. Honestly, the 5 minute old designating about who is awesome in this draft and who will be mediocre is already getting really old. It's entirely possible Alexander Wennberg will prove himself to be twice the professional player that Nichushkin is five years from now. And, what Tie Domi lacked in size he made up for in hockey IQ and pure skill.

You mentioned that Nichushkin was a top 5 player the draft based on natural talent. I'm assuming this decision was arrived at after copious viewings of every top 15 draft pick. That has to be the case if you're willing to put such strong verbage behind your opinion.

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
After seeing Tomáš Hert's start in SJ, it makes we wonder how much another year in the KHL would help Nichushkin. Obviously you can't really compare apples to apples, but I'm meaning an extra year of playing against grown men in a less intense league and some time to let senses develop. Obviously Hertl is benefitting greatly from Thornton & Burns as his linemates, but nonetheless, his skating was a big question mark this summer and he's shown the necessary jump on top of his smarts to hang with those guys.

Something I saw come up in talks of Nichushkin were his understandings of angles, etc. It's hard to tell how much trouble he's having adjust it to the NA ice surface because there haven't been a lot of looks at him in the offensive zone. Like a lot of people on here, I'm really curious to see how he'd look in a game or two skating with Benn & Seguin or Peverly/Chiasson, something along those lines

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Hertl needs to show some consistency and learn to play with his head up before you start making comparisons like that. His skating has improved, though - I will give you that much.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
And we could be sitting here talking about one of the other talented players who were drafted before him. Until he fulfills his potential I'll hold off on thanking my lucky stars for those turn of events.

I'm just saying you don't get a talent like that at 10 without a few strings attached. To me, sending him to the minors would be a mistake, even if it were possible.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Ok, so first off because it's starting to feel like I'm coming across as anti-Nichushkin I just want to say, that's not the case. From what little I've seen he is very talented. He has some great physical skills. What I have yet to see though, is the higher level hockey IQ that one expects from a top 10 pick.

Yes, at times he plays quite conservatively. At others, he does no-look drop passes five feet inside the offensive zone that get picked off 9/10 times. I think there's a good chance he gets there mentally, but so far it's hit or miss.

Now, onto the question of the draft. If we had passed on Nichushkin we would have questioned it for sure, but would we lament the decision? I doubt it. Maybe in 5 years we would, but again, that's the future and he has a lot to live up to. Honestly, the 5 minute old designating about who is awesome in this draft and who will be mediocre is already getting really old. It's entirely possible Alexander Wennberg will prove himself to be twice the professional player that Nichushkin is five years from now. And, what Tie Domi lacked in size he made up for in hockey IQ and pure skill.

You mentioned that Nichushkin was a top 5 player the draft based on natural talent. I'm assuming this decision was arrived at after copious viewings of every top 15 draft pick. That has to be the case if you're willing to put such strong verbage behind your opinion.
I've seen fair bit of a number of players in the top 15. I certainly haven't seen all of them. Even if some of the players end up better than Nichushkin, it doesn't mean they have more natural talent. It just means they have fulfilled theirs to a far greater degree than Nichushkin has filled his. For example, IMO Rick Nash is in the top handful of naturally talented players to come through for a very long time. But despite being regarded as a very good player, he's not come close to fulfilling his potential. The raw tools are ridiculous, and are superior to others considered better players than he is. If Nash had a different development path, he may have ended up much closer to reaching his ceiling. But that's the way it works with prospects and young players. You can't predict the development. You can only pick the player with the tools and hope you can develop them right.

As far as hockey IQ goes, I've seen plenty of intelligent plays from him. Both offensively and defensively. I don't regard lack of execution necessarily as lack of hockey IQ. Especially as he's an 18 year old foreigner and still learning the game and the culture. Not to mention who he's playing with on a fourth line. I am aware that he is perhaps more raw than some of the other draftees playing, and therefore his development may need to be handled more carefully.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I think we're also seeing a young rookie who played the north american game for the first time a few weeks ago. His hockey IQ has to adjust to the size of the rink and flow of the game. On those large, international rinks, you see players get away with those drop passes all the time. We also see it in his approach to trying the same efforts to skate past guys when there simply isn't room to do so on this smaller rink.

I know I am making excuses for the guy, but he is a different animal from most rookies who spend a year or two learning the North American game before jumping into the NHL. He appears to be especially affected given that his game, as we saw it on youtube videos, was largely about stick handling around guys to get to the net. That skill doesn't translate as easily as a simpler game.

However, I would like to have the discussion about whether Nichushkin would have been best served by playing in the AHL. Obviously, that was never going to be part of the equation, but given that this fact was known prior to the draft we can look back in the future and judge the pick with it in mind.
I don't think it would matter whether his first year in the US was spent in the NHL or AHL. I think the player we will see next season would be the same either way. The difference will be that we get to watch his learning process firsthand this season since he's in the NHL, and that may cloud our perception of him for good or bad. If he was able to go the AHL route for a year or two, our first impression of him would be of an older and more polished player, but I've never put much stock in the idea that it is possible to rush a player or promote him too soon.

Frankly, I've never once seen much of a connection between the age of call up and the guy's subsequent career arc. I think 90% of the time guys spend in juniors and minors developing is mostly about letting their bodies fill out and letting them bulk up so they can handle the game played at the NHL level by the best skaters and most in shape hockey players on the planet. The rest of the time is about perfecting small parts of the game, but I think if a guy is physically capable of the job and the NHL team has a roster spot to give him, there is no harm to the guy's development to let him perfect those small parts at the NHL level.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
...but I've never put much stock in the idea that it is possible to rush a player or promote him too soon.

This is interesting because at least publicly most GM's and scouts say they believe otherwise. Seth Jones isn't playing in the NHL right now solely because his body is NHL level, it's because he won't be lost out there.

Everyone cites needing more time for defensemen to season than forwards. Is that solely so they can fill out?

Frankly, I've never once seen much of a connection between the age of call up and the guy's subsequent career arc.

Such a connection might be a little difficult to prove since we are only living in one reality. Take Sam Gagner, a 6th overall pick who has played 5 1/2 full NHL seasons and has yet to crack 50 points (though during the lockout half season he was on pace for > 60). Is he still young and could he still get better? Yes and yes. But, if he tops out as a 45-55 point player we'll never know what could have been had he come to the NHL a year or two later.

Then as a counter-example you've got Anze Kopitar, a big boy then and now who was drafted at 11 and went back to Sweden for a year. A year later he hit the ground running.

It's hard post-facto to tease apart the specific factors that led to success for certain players and failures in others.

Added: Obviously, not every player is going to succeed and thus many (most) don't. However, there are reasons beyond bulk and stature that certain organizations prefer to take it slow with their prospects. It has to do with putting them in position to succeed.

MetalGodAOD*

Really good read from Heika, with Ruff's thoughts on Nuke:

After giving Valeri Nichushkin the night off against Colorado Tuesday, Stars head coach Lindy Ruff has the 18-year-old rookie back on the ice Thursday against the Sharks at American Airlines Center.

Ruff will move Nichushkin from the right wing to the left wing and play him with two veterans in Shawn Horcoff and Erik Cole. The line makes sense, in that Nichushkin will probably have to simplify his game on the left side and he’ll be supported by two veterans. In the first four games, he has wandered in his assignments and has just one shot on goal from the right side.

“It’s just a look we’re going to try,” Ruff said. “He’s played four games at right wing and he’s got one shot on net, so we’re going to give him a look over there. It doesn’t mean he’ll stay there. I think it’s just a little crowded on the right side. I’ve seen Erik play left side, and I don’t like him over there. He’s a lot more effective player on the right. And then you’ve got (Alex) Chiasson and (Rich) Peverley ahead of (Nichushkin) right now. So a move to get him more ice time will be to get him in that third line role on left wing.”

Nichushkin still is learning English, but the coaching staff communicates with the help of a translator and defenseman Sergei Gonchar. Ruff said he is working with Nichushkin and trying to keep him optimistic.

“I’ve talked to him a little. I spent some time with him yesterday, and that’s a process,” Ruff said. “I know he’s frustrated. Like any young player, he wants to score and he wants points, and I think all of that will come if the right things happen.”

More in the link.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/201...ineup-thursday-vs-sharks.html/?nclick_check=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad