Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
I'm happy if he breaks 50. Won't be dissapointed if he won't.

I'm guessing 40-45 points.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think Nuke is easily a 50-65 pt player this year.

Easily is a stretch.

I'm maintaining my stance of not going in with too high of expectations with Nichushkin just yet. I'm hoping for 40-50. I'm interested to see how he progresses after a full NHL season plus an offseason to reflect on things.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm expecting somewhere between 45-55 points. Familiarity with the NHL plus basically guaranteed top six duty should push his totals up. Not expecting the world but a normal growth curve trending up.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I meant to say before, but I'm not terribly worried about the stats just yet. I'm far more interested to see how the other aspects of his game come along. How are his defensive reads, his back-checking, PP work, shift to shift intensity coming along? Those are more crucial for his development than racking up another 15 points playing with superstar/star players.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hopefully the number of games being demoted to the 3rd/4th line (even healthy scratched iirc) helped reinforce what is expected from him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It seemed like he and Peverly switched late in games to shore up the top line. I'm not sure if that is what this is referring to, but he should be well on his way in terms of earning Ruff's trust in late game situations.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
Wasn't Lindy doing that because of how tired he looked? Thought he openly came out and mentioned that.
I was thinking more earlier last season. Going off memory, though, so I could be wrong. Pretty sure Nuke had spent a game scratched and other games with limited minutes.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
He asked to be scratched any game he was. Literally that's how exhausted he was.
Ah, s'pose that was the reason. I thought this happened much earlier in the regular season campaign.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=25355

EDIT: This is probably what I had in mind: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/10/15/4842036/stars-vs-avalanche-valeri-nichushkin-healthy-scratch Healthy scratch back in October when he was still getting his feet wet.

Back on point though, maybe he will better pace himself this year.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Wasn't Lindy doing that because of how tired he looked? Thought he openly came out and mentioned that.

Plenty of those times his play warranted him getting fewer minutes in certain games. Call it being tired, call it not being up to the task that night. Whatever the case, I agree that playing minutes on those lower lines should also have served to reinforced his defensive responsibilities.

I'll give Nuke the benefit of the doubt about a lot of stuff his rookie year. That's such a young age to play in the NHL, the season is longer, he was run ragged from all the hockey he played leading up to the season, etc. But this next year I really expect to see fewer games where he goes long periods of time being unnoticeable, which was a frequent occurrence last year.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm really expecting big things from Val. I'm not concerned as much with the points as his overall game, but I think he's going to take several steps forward this year and I hope he gets some power play time. No way he goes through a sophomore slump.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
There was the game early in the season against Colorado were they sat him, I think I remember it being because they wanted him to watch a specific player and how he played, Duschene maybe.

Also, its been reported that Val was out on the ice a couple weeks ago working on elevating the puck, they had something blocking the lower part

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
Also, its been reported that Val was out on the ice a couple weeks ago working on elevating the puck, they had something blocking the lower part

Probably a lot of work on his mechanics. In general but especially on his goals that were shot from a distance he tends to just kind of use a sweeping motion without really loading up the flex on the stick, instead of snapping it the way say Benn or Seguin normally do. He uses a Kreps/E28 toe hook so once adjusts his technique it shouldn't be much of a problem for him to rip ones right under the crossbar.

Might be working on things similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk#t=7m30s

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is good. He had many chances last year where he was able to take the puck to the net but saw his opportunity die because he was unable to elevate the puck. He's end up pushing the puck along the ice and into the goalie's pads.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Easily is a stretch.

I'm maintaining my stance of not going in with too high of expectations with Nichushkin just yet. I'm hoping for 40-50. I'm interested to see how he progresses after a full NHL season plus an offseason to reflect on things.

I don't think it's a stretch. Simply a year of development, practice with the English language, and gelling with the previous team members should put him at close to 50. Then add The Spezz Dispenser and Hemsky to the offensive mix and he's in the sweet spot of 50-65. Let's revisit this in January, but I think he's teed up have a breakout year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad