Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Joe didn't listen to the scouts when they told him to pick Kulikov, instead going with Glennie. He set a precedent of non-Russian draft picks under his regime.

Do you have any substantial proof that the scouts were saying Kulikov? Because i've never seen or heard anything that says so.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yep, scouts wanted Kulikov including Bernhardt? Joe vetoed and went with Glennie.

Is there an actual news report? Audio file, anything? Or is this just your opinion?

The draft board i saw for the Stars was

Larsson, Schenn, Glennie(with Tavares, Duchene and Hedman headlining but no real chance at any)

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I know I saw a conversation on twitter between heika and another guy about it, and your right it was never something that was really reported around here. Just like how you really never here why people are suddenly fired or let go from the Stars either.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think I responded so I'll see if I can find it in my timeline

I'm all for being wrong on it, But i never saw or even remotely heard anything that suggested They wanted Kulikov over Glennie.

The Draft board I saw was.

Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Larson, Schenn, Glennie.
The other's were gone, so they went with Glennie, this could have been before or after Joe "vetoed" but I never heard anything about it.

MetalGodAOD*

Here you go M8kk:

Speaking of Glennie, saw this on the Red Wings board.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 11 h
Stars had openings because of departures of Tim Bernhardt (now with Phoenix) and Shane Churla (Montreal).

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL 10 h
@MikeHeika Tim's been outta there 4 long time. Let go mid-season winter be4 lock-out. ith PHX all last season. Brutal Nieuwendyk decision.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 10 h
@GareJoyceNHL Technically fired in Sept. 2011.

@MikeHeika They'll deny it but staffers were appalled when Nieu over-ruled and wouldn't select Kulikov who was on Stars' list.

@GareJoyceNHL Agreed on all points. Nill said both were free agents with no contracts, and Ken Holland allowed them to decide.

I always wondered what really happened with Bernhardt, and I don't remember seeing anything like this before. I think at the time he was fired, we were speculating that Glennie was his pick due to him being fired right after Glennie doing poorly in the Traverse city tournament.

This from Heika:

Saw him as Zubov 2.0 or thereabouts. Nieu knew nothing about him, didn't want a Russian on any terms. Nieu not great with staff.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=68884873#post68884873

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Found what I reposted here

Speaking of Glennie, saw this on the Red Wings board.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 11 h
Stars had openings because of departures of Tim Bernhardt (now with Phoenix) and Shane Churla (Montreal).

@MikeHeika Tim's been outta there 4 long time. Let go mid-season winter be4 lock-out. ith PHX all last season. Brutal Nieuwendyk decision.

@GareJoyceNHL Technically fired in Sept. 2011.

@MikeHeika They'll deny it but staffers were appalled when Nieu over-ruled and wouldn't select Kulikov who was on Stars' list.

@GareJoyceNHL Agreed on all points. Nill said both were free agents with no contracts, and Ken Holland allowed them to decide.

I always wondered what really happened with Bernhardt, and I don't remember seeing anything like this before. I think at the time he was fired, we were speculating that Glennie was his pick due to him being fired right after Glennie doing poorly in the Traverse city tournament.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Is there an actual news report? Audio file, anything? Or is this just your opinion?

The draft board i saw for the Stars was

Larsson, Schenn, Glennie(with Tavares, Duchene and Hedman headlining but no real chance at any)
Wait, you want hard proof that Glennie wasn't the scouts' choice, yet you're claiming to have seen a draft board?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Absolutely, and the rumors have always been that the Stars wanted Kadri.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I remembered when I saw it I was floored, the speculation at the time had always been Glennie and Campbell had been Bernhardt picks.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
another angle to this nichushkin-nill-nieuwendyk discussion is the pre-draft interview process. iirc, val was most enthused to join the stars. nill and company sold val on the stars, and they concluded (correctly it seems) that nichushkin wouldn't be an attitude or flight risk. other staffs didn't accomplish this, and it wouldn't be a big leap to imagine gm joe being in that group.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I am curious what happened with the Stars and HoSang though, we wouldn't have even known there was anything if it wasn't for some other outlet. Not a knock on Heika, its not that he doesn't know about this stuff, he just doesn't report it for whatever reason, be it strict sourcing, not wanting to burn sources, or just feeling it isnt news worthy

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Are you going to make go source it if I do...

A report saying he had upset the Dallas Interviewers and had something about him making Dallas regret passing him up in the draft, I think the source was someone covering the draft for Phili, pretty sure it was talked about in the your Pro Sang or No Sang thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad