Post-Game Talk: Vaiting for Evander

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good side:

- They significantly outshout and outplayed a good team in the Preds for good chunks of the game

- Mikko is in one of his "good Mikko" stretches. Several big saves.

- McDavid seems to have awaken out of whatever funk he was in.

- Bouchard continues to score.

- PK was good.

Bad stuff:

- They decided to I guess just stop playing defence for whatever reason for a good 6-7 minute stretch there in the 2nd period? WTF was that? Multiple odd man rushes against. Keith pinching on the 2nd goal then they give up a 3 on 1 right afterwards.

- Lagesson just abandons a man in front of the net to let him have two point blank chances on Koskinen that could have cost us the game.

- Powerplay still looks ... off.

- Would it kill someone to ever score 1st in a game? Like ever?

- Koskinen had some awkward moments in the net still like when he just fell backwards because the Nashville forward skated behind the net and kinda got lucky the Nashville forward just basically shot the puck into him.

Reactions: Oil53

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
That was some sweet McShootoutDangle for breakfast, wow!
Say what you want about Koskinen but he's not giving up and battles hard, can't argue against his willingness to help his team at all cost.
Good to see some solid PKing after the last month, time to get the PP going again, you're not gonna do anything in this league without solid special teams.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Jack MIcheal is taking over from Bagdad Bob for the spin on Koskinen. of the 24 games Kosk has been in Kosks save % is below .900 12 times. This includes 3 games where the oilers won and his save % was below .900.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
With Kane coming in, I think we should be able to balance out the top 9 pretty well. I'd like to see the coaching staff try and balance out the top 9 with like 18 mins a game with some plus for PP time. Fourth line getting like 6-8 mins a game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, don't be fooled by Koskinen having some solid moments, he still needs to not be in the pipes for this team, my hope is these games have given something other then capdump value.
I'm fine with retaining Koskinen as a backup (Smith should be dumped but he won't be), but small flashes of brilliance don't suddenly erase the absolutely putrid month he had.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, don't be fooled by Koskinen having some solid moments, he still needs to not be in the pipes for this team, my hope is these games have given something other then capdump value.

If we dont get a bonafide number 1 guy, we pretty much need 2 goaltenders. Thats ultimately the problem I see. I think if Koskinen was making backup money, maybe you could roll the dice with him as a back up option. But in order to have cap space to get a new goalie, he pretty much has to be going out. I dont think this team can really assume Smith is coming back. Hes just been ultra fragile this year. If we dont get a bonafide #1 guy, is the team comfortable going with Skinner as backup? It might be fine, I dont know. I wish the team had let him just run with it for awhile, during our bad streak so we would have a better idea of what we have in him. He was really good for some games and then really poor for some. I think Tippett/Holland mismanaged the situation. If the Team gets an upgrade on Koskinen (whos not a bonafide #1) and is running with Smith/Skinner as backup, I am not really sure its good enough. It might work out or it might not. At this point Holland has to actually figure out a solution instead of just continual bad bets.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Koskinen star player again tonight! Glad Holland isn't going to trade Koskinen for a worse goalie like some fans in here want Holland to.

Koskinen is not a star goalie LOL if you think we will make the playoffs or go deep into the playoffs with him you must be watching the NHL 22 Oilers

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Looking forward to the first game against San Jose Sharks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If we dont get a bonafide number 1 guy, we pretty much need 2 goaltenders.
Not really, because this is the reality of the Oilers. Koskinen will fail again, it's a certainty, so you move him while he might have buoyed his value, get a guy you hope can take the reigns and have Skinner and Smith, possibly, to support.

Again, it will be addition by subtraction.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Career, putrid NHL career.
I'll cut him some slack because he was thrust into a role he was never meant to have and if we had any semblance of competent management the last few years he either wouldn't be here, would be on a much more reasonable contract, or would be backing up someone better (who isn't a band-aid).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad