Prospect Info: Vaclav Karabacek (2014, 49th) – '18-19: Clears unconditional waivers, ELC mutually terminated

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
About time. So many wasted picks for several years in a row. Kid was a reach to begin with.

Imagine what a 2nd round pick could net this team in real time? Smh

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
About time. So many wasted picks for several years in a row. Kid was a reach to begin with.

Imagine what a 2nd round pick could net this team in real time? Smh

Rose colored glasses....the talent in that draft had just about all the 2nd round players having 3rd or 4th round grades.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Rose colored glasses....the talent in that draft had just about all the 2nd round players having 3rd or 4th round grades.

True, but the Sabres had 5 picks between 31 and 74 and Lemieux is the only one who looks like he has a glimmer of an NHL career and as a depth guy at that. The rest are/were barely even AHLers. Even in a weaker draft that's pretty slim odds, IMO.

Couldn't they have just assigned Karabacek to a European team? I assume they get a contract slot back but is that they only advantage to doing this this way?

Reactions: DJN21

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Do they actually get the contract spot back? I just never knew that they could just waive an ELC contract player and dump him. I just thought they were stuck until the ELC ended. I can't figure out why they included guys like Fienhage and Parker as contract dumps in previous years.

If they do get a contract spot back, that's great. Opens up possibilities for the deadline (or any trade for that matter) and college free agent period.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Do they actually get the contract spot back? I just never knew that they could just waive an ELC contract player and dump him. I just thought they were stuck until the ELC ended. I can't figure out why they included guys like Fienhage and Parker as contract dumps in previous years.

If they do get a contract spot back, that's great. Opens up possibilities for the deadline (or any trade for that matter) and college free agent period.
Probably because its a mutual termination.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Corey Fienhage still looks pretty bitter about Buffalo.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Couldn't they have just assigned Karabacek to a European team? I assume they get a contract slot back but is that they only advantage to doing this this way?
They get the contract slot back and don't have to pay his minor league salary. If Karabacek wants to go back to Europe, it makes far more sense from the Sabres perspective to just let him go like this than to loan him.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
That is just not true. Look at the defensive prospects still on the board and Murray was drafting garbage

Yes and so many of Murray’s prospects that Botterill has gotten rid of outside of Olofsson, Asplund and Borgen have been he only ones Botts has signed so far. I loved Pu and he very likely would of got a contract but I will take Skinner any day of the week over Pu

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille