Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 6th. worst team.

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So in NBA is it 6th. or 1st., or is there other movement?
The NBA lottery is top 4.

The Raptors odds on each pick are 9%, 9.2%, 9.4%, 9.6%, (impossible to draft 5th), 8.6%, 29.8% (7th pick which would go to SAS), 20.5%, 3.7%, 0.1%.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
With games 1 on the Western side done of the play-in, the Raptors should be cheering for New Orleans to beat Sacramento on Friday to make the playoffs. Also, they should be cheering for Philly to win their way in (if both outcomes happen, then the Indy pick remains in the 16-19 tie, where if Philly loses, it becomes a 17-19 tie (because Philly would be removed from the tie) and if New Orleans loses, it takes a team below the Indy pick and throws it above it (making the pick either 17-20 or 18-20 depending on Philly))

Reactions: aingefan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Definitely an idiot but individuals do have legitimate gambling problems which is why it is wrong for major sports leagues to get into gambling so much

I do agree that the wave of gambling-catered content and ads is nauseating (to be clear I don't have an issue with gambling itself, I just don't need 10 different bet platforms having ads and sponsoring pre-game segments that are just about picking matchups and props instead of analyzing the games on content instead to the point that it feels like you're watching a gambling podcast featuring sports instead of a sporting event)

but he could've easily found ways to engage in gambling that didn't include betting on his team to lose or betting the under on personal props and then manufacturing ways to get out of games before he hit the threshold (or just stopping taking shots if he's still in the game).

The gambling revolution sucks and the way that the leagues are fully in bed with it now is basically asking for trouble, but the line always has to be drawn at the possibility for players to influence the games unduly even if the overdose of gambling influence makes that harder and harder.

Reactions: canucksfan

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I do agree that the wave of gambling-catered content and ads is nauseating (to be clear I don't have an issue with gambling itself, I just don't need 10 different bet platforms having ads and sponsoring pre-game segments that are just about picking matchups and props instead of analyzing the games on content instead to the point that it feels like you're watching a gambling podcast featuring sports instead of a sporting event)

but he could've easily found ways to engage in gambling that didn't include betting on his team to lose or betting the under on personal props and then manufacturing ways to get out of games before he hit the threshold (or just stopping taking shots if he's still in the game).

The gambling revolution sucks and the way that the leagues are fully in bed with it now is basically asking for trouble, but the line always has to be drawn at the possibility for players to influence the games unduly even if the overdose of gambling influence makes that harder and harder.
This comes back to my initial reaction. The only way a guy is going to intentionally take himself out of games to make prop bets work is if there's something in it for him (such as covering a debt he can't pay).

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Good. Well deserved. And a bad look on the league, and a cautionary tale for the other leagues that they may follow suit.

I said at the time when gambling ads were getting out of control -- during the games, commercial breaks, intermissions/half-times, panelists, etc. The integrity of the league(s) and its games were going to be diminished as it was a slippery slope and only a matter of time where some player(s) would bet on and against his own team. Lo and behold...

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Absolutely deserved banishment.

The guy took himself out of the game after 3 minutes, and told another better that he was going to do it. The guy bet $80,000 on f***in Jontay Porter under's. How they didn't realize this would set off red flags everywhere is unbelievable. Bunch of f***ing idiots.
He certainly maximized his cheating potential. Cheating both the NBA and the gambling guy who lost 80 k at once.

Good on the NBA for getting him out of the league.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The preceding banishment had been brought to you by Fanduel.

Brought to you by one of the biggest idiots to ever play sport. You dont get much more stupid than Jontay Porter. He probably lost 10m+ in career earnings for some 50k bets lol.

I love it. What a moron. Good riddance see ya later Jontay you idiot.

Reactions: Dr.Funk

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Some quick notes:

Edey is now projecting as a much higher pick. He's a borderline lottery pick, so if he is there at 19, the Raps might jump.

The top 6 could be very interesting if Toronto is in it

The top 2 are likely Risacher and Sarr (with Sarr being arguably higher upside) where a team could prefer one over the other.

After that, there seems to be little consensus with names like Clingan (best defensive player, but questionable offensive upside), Dillingham, Shephard, Topic, Castle, Buzelis, and Holland.

Here's ESPN's mock (note: they have the Orlando and Toronto via Indy backwards)

Here's Tankathon's mock

If the Raptors ended up with one of the PG early (there's a bunch of PG or combo guards rated highly) and a wing in the middle (or give away the first pick and get a guard or wing with the second) then someone like Ulrich Chomche could be in play for the 2nd rounder as a raw prospect Ulrich Chomche 2024 Draft Profile | Tankathon

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00