Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Worth noting that in spite of owning the 7th best lottery odds, the Raptors actually are most mathematically likely to end up with the 8th overall pick simply based on the collective odds of the 8-14 teams in the lottery jumping them in the queue.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can’t help but wonder where this team would be if they had two playable centres all year. Let Boucher play exclusively at the 4 where he won’t be physically dominated and allow him to use his quickness as a help defender rather than getting bullied by bigs with 40-50 lbs on him. He’s shown some flashes of good perimeter play in the screen and roll, and particularly attacking close outs. He’ll get a lot more favourable matchups going forward.

Birch has a better offensive game than I realized and while Freddy G is still raw, he has some good physical tools and good instincts on the ball that could become a very good asset. Doesn’t have the bunnies or the freakish long arms, but reminds me somewhat of rookie Robert Williams with the Celtics whose becoming a pretty useful player for them.

no where

You can’t win when you either can’t or don’t want to play most of the time

how many times did they play without many key players?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
A tough year, but weirdly, one you almost feel you can give the team a mulligan for. Injuries, no one at C, and playing in Tampa during a pandemic all clearly weighed on the team at times. There's still a lot to like, with good pieces and hopefully another one coming by way of the draft.

Three big stories heading into the offseason that'll determine where the team goes in the years ahead.

1. What does Masai do: I think the important thing to remember here, is that whatever Masai does, the franchise/MLSE/Larry T are going to do everything they can to keep him. If he leaves, he leaves, but I cannot fathom a situation where he walks because the Raptors were outbid. Maybe he wants a basketball challenge somewhere else, but the door seems shut in markets that would intrigue him. There are more doors open for non-basketball challenges which I think is an eventuality for someone like Masai. If I had to guess, I think he re-signs on a short term 2 or 3 deal and transitions out of basketball in a few year, knowing as of now the Raptors and the NBA are also a great vehicle for him to work on outside projects.

2. What does Kyle do and what do the Raptors want to do with him: I think Kyle appreciates Toronto, the ups and downs he's had here, and genuinely will retire as a Raptor - be it with a one-day contract or something else. But he's a mercenary, too. He re-signed in Toronto in 2017 because of the money and nothing close being on offer elsewhere. And that's fine! Good for him. On the one hand, this offers the Raptors a similar advantage this summer. They can offer more money and while money won't be the ONLY thing that drives Lowry, I can't imagine he goes and signs a 1-year deal under the MLE just to ring chase. He'll want to get what he deserves. But what Toronto does is equally interesting because Masai is a mercenary too. He's only keeping Kyle if he thinks it makes sense for the near-term goals he has for the team (obviously I'm assuming Masai is staying under this scenario). My guess is there's more of a market for Lowry than there was 4 years ago and he winds up somewhere on a S&T.

3. What is Siakim: If Kyle does go, it leaves a big hole, but a hole that was going to need to be filled, soon anyways. The Raptors have to like what they have in OG and FVV, and even the complimentary pieces that emerged this season. But the last 18 months have been pretty up and down for Pascal. What he is, and can be, will have a pretty big impact on whether the Raptors have to tweak their roster or overhaul it. If he's a star and a difference marker they're a lot further ahead than if he's not. I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, Siakim deserves some benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean the questions that emerged the last 18 months don't need to be answered, either.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still think Kawhi Leonard would have had a better overall team in Toronto had he stayed. They would have won 50+ games each year, contend for first in the conference, and the NBA championship. I think the West has at least a couple of teams ahead of them in terms of contention for the championship. Whatever, I hate being hung up on this, he decided to go home so good for him.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
is this a deep draft or top heavy? Any guys the folks who follow prospects want and what would their potential be?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
is this a deep draft or top heavy? Any guys the folks who follow prospects want and what would their potential be?
This draft is both deep and top heavy. Still hoping to win a top 4 pick so in terms of stylistic comparables for the stacked top 4:

Cade Cunningham - Ben Simmons if he could actually shoot a basketball
Jalen Green - Michael Jordan-lite (I don't make this comparison lightly, he's a three level scoring machine and a freak athlete, I say lite because of the clutch impact/killer instinct of Jordan which can't be taught).
Evan Mobley - the next Chris Bosh
Jalen Suggs - the next Brandon Roy hopefully without the injuries (for context, Kobe Bryant once said prime Brandon Roy was the most un-guardable player he ever played against).

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
This draft is both deep and top heavy. Still hoping to win a top 4 pick so in terms of stylistic comparables for the stacked top 4:

Cade Cunningham - Ben Simmons if he could actually shoot a basketball
Jalen Green - Michael Jordan-lite (I don't make this comparison lightly, he's a three level scoring machine and a freak athlete, I say lite because of the clutch impact/killer instinct of Jordan which can't be taught).
Evan Mobley - the next Chris Bosh
Jalen Suggs - the next Brandon Roy hopefully without the injuries (for context, Kobe Bryant once said prime Brandon Roy was the most un-guardable player he ever played against).
thanks man. Would be great to just get a bit lucky and have a superstar calibre player again.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I still think Kawhi Leonard would have had a better overall team in Toronto had he stayed. They would have won 50+ games each year, contend for first in the conference, and the NBA championship. I think the West has at least a couple of teams ahead of them in terms of contention for the championship. Whatever, I hate being hung up on this, he decided to go home so good for him.
Its tough not to get hung up on it. I think the Raptors did more than anyone could have in terms of trying to resign him but clearly Kawhi just wanted to go home. While I understand it, I have no doubt that staying in Toronto would have been good for Kawhi in terms of individual success and team success. The fact we pushed Boston to the brink last year shows that with Kawhi we would have been top contenders. Kawhi vs Bulter in the conference finals would have been a good matchup.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why confidence is mounting that Raptors can re-sign Masai Ujiri - Sportsnet.ca

With apologies to Kyle Lowry, Raptors president Masai Ujiri is the franchise’s No. 1 priority in free agency. And after pushing aside multiple invitations to discuss his future with the club that have been simmering since the champagne was still wet on the floors of the visitors’ locker room at Oracle Arena in June of 2019, he can’t delay things any further.

“He’s always said at the end of the season he’ll start communicating [on his contract],” said one source with insight into how Ujiri is expected to approach the process. “He feels like he owes it to MLSE to think of them first.”

There is a mounting confidence that there is a clear path for Ujiri’s return, and there will be a good-faith negotiation to find common ground on a deal that will extend the Raptors president’s tenure with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment from eight years until as far into the future as he wants to stay.

It’s not like MLSE has a plan B to replace the person more tightly woven into the fabric of the franchise than any player.

Their position is straightforward. There are no tactics or posturing.

“They love him, and they believe in him,” said a source close to the MLSE board. “He’s won them a championship and they believe he’s going to win them some more.”

Can a deal be done? Optimism is increasing.

“Masai doesn’t share a lot; he’s very private and strategic in his own way,” said the source close to MLSE. “But if you were asking ‘Are they going to sign Masai?’ I would put it at 95 per cent yes.”

That’s the view of an informed handicapper, it should be stressed, rather than something based on any indication given by Ujiri, who has played his cards close to his chest since the first bombshell about his future landed in the moments after the Raptors won the title over Golden State, when it was reported the Washington Wizards had pursued him to run their organization, offering an ownership stake as enticement.

And there is still that five percent, which allows for a lot of room for ‘what ifs’ until a deal is signed.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Obviously only one person's view, but as good as news as you could expect on Masai. From a basketball perspective, Toronto is probably his only option given the small number of places that would intrigue him don't have an opening. Question is, if and when he wants to focus on things beyond basketball.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Masai reupping in Toronto will be a coup for Toronto. He has leverage in the league and it will definitely help having him in the fold.

After Masai is signed, I believe Lowry will closely follow. He is the face of the franchise and leader. At his age, already with a championship, he chooses to resign with Toronto.

If I had a prediction this is what I would like to see:

Lowry and DeRozan are reunited in Toronto on 1 yr deals. They work it out together to ensure they take reasonable contracts to allow the Raptors to put one more big piece to the equation. Masai makes good on past trade. Gives them an opportunity together in Toronto where they belong.

That one big piece..... Rudy Gobbert. The Raps need that inside presence to bolster their lineup. He can rebound, play premier defense, and chip in offensively. Not an outside threat, but we have enough on the outside shooting.

They resign both Trent and Birch to contracts.

PG - FVV, Lowry, Flynn
SG - Lowry, Trent, Johnson
SF - Derozan, OG, Wannabe
PF - Siakam, Boucher, OG
C - Gobbert, Birch, Gillapsee

This would give us the capabilities to play 2 units which we havent had since championship season.

Is this possible?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I haven’t really been following the NBA but i thought at the beginning of the season the Lakers were suppose to be the b all and end all of the nba this year?? Are they fighting to get in? Lol

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I generally hate the idea of play-ins. But I finally actually read up on how the NBA's works, and it's actually not that bad. The 7th or 8th seed is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, and the other one still gets another shot to make it.

Way better than a one-game match between 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 with the winners getting in.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would be shocked if Derozan came back. I doubt there is interest on either side.

As for Masai, I don't see why he wouldn't stay, unless he left for something outside of the NBA. We know that MLSE will give him the blank cheque, and, at least from what has been reported, MLSE have been supportive of all of his outside ventures.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I would think that he wants to be able to go into the luxury cap every year, clearly forcing the cad govt to allow hone games, and more pushback in league meetings. I’m not sure about the last one and how that’s achievable but the first two should be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad