Raptors Discussion: v94 | Raptors land 4th pick in NBA draft lottery. Draft set for July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The more I think about it, the more I like Robinson+Achiuwa than just Herro.

They make sense to me. Robinson is a knock-down shooter. He seems to be what Matt Thomas was supposed to be. And Achiuwa is raw as hell, but he's an athletic lottery ticket with the size, length, and hops you can't teach. There's value in those.

Watching the focus on Herro reminds me of the way people got caught up in Jimmer Fredette hype, except that at least Herro is a serviceable NBA player

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They make sense to me. Robinson is a knock-down shooter. He seems to be what Matt Thomas was supposed to be. And Achiuwa is raw as hell, but he's an athletic lottery ticket with the size, length, and hops you can't teach. There's value in those.

Watching the focus on Herro reminds me of the way people got caught up in Jimmer Fredette hype, except that at least Herro is a serviceable NBA player

Comparing Fredette to Herro? You really have no clue

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Why mention he’s white? He’s a really good player

He's a decently good player, but I don't see the stand-out appeal. He doesn't appear to have a stand-out skill other than being a good supplementary scorer averaging 15 points a game mostly on drives and a small amount of perimeter shooting. It gives me some of the same vibes I had about DeRozan in that he's a player caught out of time who would've been far more valuable in the mid-late 90s than in 2021. It's not that it doesn't have value, but it doesn't have crazy, "this guy is a cornerstone of your team" value. Not the way the game is mostly played now. The Raptors aren't a good enough shooting team to make a niche for that.

and I mention he's white because it makes him a bit of a novelty. Rightfully or not (mostly not) it attracts increased media attention and that generates additional fan attention. It's not a lot different than the bizarro hype for Jimmer Fredette a few years ago, or even (in a non-white example) Jeremy Lin. I'm not saying it should matter (I don't think it should) but it does in some circles seem to. Herro is clearly a better player than both of them, but the point was never about them being equitable from a talent standpoint. Rather it was an issue of whether the attention/hype outstripped that talent.

Reactions: Pink Mist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad