Raptors Discussion: v93 | Panic level rising significantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Was thinking this tonight too. Bud brings out the best in Nurse. Bud was totally outcoached in that series.
Nurse was majorly responsible for ending the Bucks’ run that year, and pretty much responsible for forever neutering the Bucks’ attack in subsequent playoffs.

Bud probably views Nurse as his nemesis and curses Nurse everyday for blocking his way to the Championship. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Nurse was majorly responsible for ending the Bucks’ run that year, and pretty much responsible for forever neutering the Bucks’ attack in subsequent playoffs.

Bud probably views Nurse as his nemesis and curses Nurse everyday for blocking his way to the Championship. :sarcasm:

Allowing 113 points really isn’t neutering anything. Milwaukee just can’t play defence. They just lost to OKC as well. The East is a complete gong show this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Allowing 113 points really isn’t neutering anything. Milwaukee just can’t play defence. They just lost to OKC as well. The East is a complete gong show this year.
I’m talking about how he game planned against Giannis in the playoffs that year and how the Bucks haven’t really recovered from that in the playoffs since.

Last edited:
Reactions: yvrtojfk

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I’m talking about how he game planned against Giannis in the playoffs that year and how the Bucks haven’t really recovered from that in the playoffs since.

Not to take anything away from Nurse, but it didn’t hurt that they had Kawhi and Gasol on defence that year. Giannis pretty much manhandled them yesterday. They are a mid pack defensive team right now.

And it’s good that Nurse has realized that and let the offence flow.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Let’s look at Golden State - Curry and Thompson top 12 picks. Green 2nd Rd pick. Durant free agent signing

Lakers - LeBron free agent signing
Davis - trade (gave up Ingram and Randle, both top 7 picks) Josh Hart and multiple picks

Heat - lebron and Bosh free agents. Wade top 5 pick

The way the league is going since the Heat won, you have to be able to attract free agents. No top tier free agent will willingly sign with the Raptors.

We have to figure the Kawhi scenario will never happen again. That was a strange scenario about a guy who barely played the year prior and wanted out of San Antonio. We still gave up two top 12 selected players and a 1st Rd pick for him. If we keep drafting in the 20’s it’s going to be hard to duplicate that
Yeah, I just don’t see it that way. None of those teams tanked or bottomed out. Warriors drafted Steph a year or two after the ‘We Believe’ team. Lakers were trash for several years until they signed LeBron and traded BI and Lonzo ++++ for Anthony Davis. Davis was a player the Pelicans tanked for and never won a thing with.

I made a long post earlier that is actually credit to someone on Reddit, but he basically went through all the teams that have tanked and absolutely none of them won anything with the players they tanked for. As I said, the Spurs getting Duncan the year Robinson was injured is the only possible example of success, and even that wasn’t the same.

You’re right about one thing. It’ll be hard to duplicate, but not impossible. It’s hard for everyone, but Masai has already proven he can do it so I’ll ride with that.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not to take anything away from Nurse, but it didn’t hurt that they had Kawhi and Gasol on defence that year. Giannis pretty much manhandled them yesterday. They are a mid pack defensive team right now.

And it’s good that Nurse has realized that and let the offence flow.
Which is pretty remarkable considering they don’t have a starting centre, the most important position to anchor a defense, and were missing OG for the last handful of games whose easily a top 5 defensive player.

They’re a competent centre from being top 5-8 defensive team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
2 great wins against the Bucks. The Raptors played like a team who has won a championship.
No team wants to play this team in the 1st round.
Even if we move on from Lowry, we are in good hands with Freddy, Siakam and OG plus Nurse.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
2 great wins against the Bucks. The Raptors played like a team who has won a championship.
Even if we move on from Lowry, we are in good hands with Freddy, Siakam and OG plus Nurse.
They figured out how to beat the Bucks. IT's a mismatch in their favour. The rest of the other good teams is a different story.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018

Powell too, I am hoping he resigns on a relatively good contract. Great win tonight.

Reactions: stickty111

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
They figured out how to beat the Bucks. IT's a mismatch in their favour. The rest of the other good teams is a different story.

Yeah, I'd rather the Raptors play the Bucks than the Nets, Sixers or Celtics in the first round.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Embiid scares me though and the C position is our weakest link...papa Gasol is gone.
Not bringing back Ibaka and Gasol was tough. Particularly Ibaka, his value both on and off the court was pretty high and his absence has been quite noticeable this season.

To achieve what they have done without any real talent at C is impressive. Even if centers aren't as significant anymore, you still need a decent one to be competitive.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Not bringing back Ibaka and Gasol was tough. Particularly Ibaka, his value both on and off the court was pretty high and his absence has been quite noticeable this season.

To achieve what they have done without any real talent at C is impressive. Even if centers aren't as significant anymore, you still need a decent one to be competitive.

Yup, this team with Ibaka would be alot more scary and tough to deal with for any team in the East.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
OG IS A PROBLEM! YOU BETTA STAHP OGGG.

East is wide open man, Raps have playoff experience up the hoohaa, I think we can win a series or 2 if things break our way. We really need a C though, small ball is fun and effective but eventually someone can take advantage of it and Baynes sucks.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Less than a week ago you called them average. Something something, below .500. Now they look like champs who nobody wants to play? :laugh:

Still think this team can be the best perimeter defense in the league when they’re locked in. Consistency hasn’t always been there, and they really need to sort out their interior, but it’s starting to really come together.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Less than a week ago you called them average. Something something, below .500. Now they look like champs who nobody wants to play? :laugh:

Still think this team can be the best perimeter defense in the league when they’re locked in. Consistency hasn’t always been there, and they really need to sort out their interior, but it’s starting to really come together.

Would love to see this effort on a more consistent basis. Milwaukee has been trash this year, but beating them twice and losing to Minnesota is Jekyll and Hyde. Without Holiday they have nobody to run that offence.

Would love to see them add a big at no real cost and take a shot. Still don’t think they should be trading futures, and they showed they can win without Lowry, so even if they moved him, that would be ok. I’m more Jekyll and Hyde about what I think this team needs to do.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Would love to see this effort on a more consistent basis. Milwaukee has been trash this year, but beating them twice and losing to Minnesota is Jekyll and Hyde. Without Holiday they have nobody to run that offence.

Would love to see them add a big at no real cost and take a shot. Still don’t think they should be trading futures, and they showed they can win without Lowry, so even if they moved him, that would be ok. I’m more Jekyll and Hyde about what I think this team needs to do.
I don’t see it that way. I think they’d win that Minnesota game 9/10 times - Rubio and a few others made threes you’ll still give them all day.

I’ve been begging since before the season started for an upgrade in the front court. Actually really like Baynes - Boucher duo off the bench, but they really need to find a basic and traditional centre that can play with the starters.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And re; Lowry - I’d be trying to re-sign him. They need to have a conversation with him about his future. If the Raptors aren’t in those plans, see if he’s open to accelerating the process and letting them recoup assets.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I don’t see it that way. I think they’d win that Minnesota game 9/10 times - Rubio and a few others made threes you’ll still give them all day.

I’ve been begging since before the season started for an upgrade in the front court. Actually really like Baynes - Boucher duo off the bench, but they really need to find a basic and traditional centre that can play with the starters.

Maybe the Lakers will trade us Harrell since they only play him 15 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad