Raptors Discussion: v79| Playoffs '19|Round 2 vs PHI | Game 7: Sum, May 12 | 7pm ET / 4pm PT| Series tied 3-3| SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
More or less rightt now (Gasol has) just taken JV's role on the team which makes you wonder what the point of the trade was to begin with then.

Gasol is much better than Val though. Vananciunas is a volume scorer, but that's about it. He doesn't see the floor well, doesn't pass well, doesn't block out well, doesn't play or defend well outside the paint, doesn't run well, doesn't shoot well from long distance. Gasol is a very high IQ guy, does all those things, and just simply fits better on the team matchups-wise with Ibaka than Val did.

What I love most about Gasol is his ability to find the open man. He makes guys around him better, gives them open looks. Val sucked at that.

Also advanced stats love Gasol much more than Val for many of those reasons. Take VORP for example.

The only thing that sucks about the trade is losing Delon. He's a good player.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Demar seems like a nice person, but he truly sucks. The fact that he manages to play his worst in the most important games is particularly frustrating, but he's not the Raptors' problem anymore.

He doesn’t suck, but he’s the literal definition of not clutch. I generally hate when people call players clutch or not clutch, but he’s a special case.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He doesn’t suck, but he’s the literal definition of not clutch. I generally hate when people call players clutch or not clutch, but he’s a special case.

Nah, it's worse than not being clutch. The guy has 0.1 VORP in 57 career playoff games (this is not counting tonight's crapfest).

He should be a bench player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nah, it's worse than not being clutch. The guy has 0.1 VORP in 57 career playoff games (this is not counting tonight's crapfest).

He should be a bench player.

Well that’s what I mean though. Compare his RS numbers with his playoff numbers. The drop off is substantial and that’s the literal definition of being not clutch.

horner

May 22, 2007
Demar seems like a nice person, but he truly sucks. The fact that he manages to play his worst in the most important games is particularly frustrating, but he's not the Raptors' problem anymore.

People are happy with the trade now.
Siakam has learned so much from him.

horner

May 22, 2007
Gasol is much better than Val though. Vananciunas is a volume scorer, but that's about it. He doesn't see the floor well, doesn't pass well, doesn't block out well, doesn't play or defend well outside the paint, doesn't run well, doesn't shoot well from long distance. Gasol is a very high IQ guy, does all those things, and just simply fits better on the team matchups-wise with Ibaka than Val did.

What I love most about Gasol is his ability to find the open man. He makes guys around him better, gives them open looks. Val sucked at that.

Also advanced stats love Gasol much more than Val for many of those reasons. Take VORP for example.

The only thing that sucks about the trade is losing Delon. He's a good player.

I don't watch basketball alot but I can see the difference between the two.

leafsleafs

Jul 12, 2006
Here
Hope the Fear the Deer crew and the Celts beat up on each other, cuz we’re playing one of them.

That starting five was just playing around with the 6’ers.

These guys are good.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
You make it sound like Gasol was playing amazing defense on Embiid when it was mostly Embiid having an off night with his shooting. He had alot of good looks, but just couldn't score tonight which was good for us.

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Embid played much better when Gasol wasn't on the floor. Gasol was in his face all night. I lost track of how many shots Embid took which were altered by Gasol's strong defense. I know Embid is hurting right now. But IMO Gasol took him to school.

Reactions: donghabs98

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Got last minute tickets to last nights game, got there for the second half.
What an environment.
Team D was solid, Kawhi was on another level, and they really kept the foot on the pedal - no real second half run, no feelings in the air for a second that it was in doubt.
Go Raps go.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Gasol has been great. He is able to draw out Embiid which gives Siakam/Leonard space to play 1 on 1 and attack the rim.

I am concerned that we are playing the bench too much. They have been trash all playoffs. I guess Nurse just has supreme confidence that his starters will be able to close games out late if we need them to.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not worried about how our starters stack up against Philly, but we will need more from our bench if we want to avoid problems against Philly in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad