Raptors Discussion: v78| It's playoff time | Rd 1 vs ORL | Gm3: Fri 4/19 7pm ET/4pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
He's arguably the most classic example of eye test vs. stats test. He's a top-10 player in the entire league today by most metrics, but looks like a 50 year old man with 3 kids that plays pick up once a week.

LOL@ 50 yr old man reference. So true . I never thought of that lol.

Reactions: Morgs

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The on/off on bbref is now available, and the team was significantly better when Lowry was on the court.

Brief breakdown (twitter post + replies) of why Lowry helped the team:

The ball kept moving when he was on the floor. Lowry doesn’t consider himself the second, or even the third option with the starters anymore. He was looking for Kawhi, Siakam, Green, Gasol, and Ibaka. FVV unfortunately plays ISO way too often and doesn’t properly utilize the players around him (he had the starters minus Lowry and was at his worst with them over 5 minutes).

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
When you look at our starting 5 and Orlando's, there is absolutely no way we should lose to them.

We were behind most of the game, and down a lot (15?) at one point. That can't happen, we're better than that. Still, we had the lead with less than a minute to go.

Kawhi was great as expected. Could have used a few more minutes. Siakam was great, as he's been all year. Nobody else was - Ibaka, Gasol, Green - all just "okay".

To me there were 2 main reasons we lost: Augustin had a career night - lousy timing for us - and a ton of our shots just didn't drop. I thought a lot of our misses were pretty open looks AND decent shots, but an abnormal number just didn't go down. Bad puck luck as it were.

Kyle's shots weren't bricks, and when's the last time he missed both FTs? It seemed there were a ton of opportunities for us to have gotten a few more points, then nothing else would have mattered.

I think we'll win the next 4 games.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lowry, historically, is not a great shooter in game 1s. I think the neglect of shooting practices has some legs to it because with 5 days off (DNP against TWolves), it’s no surprise he was cold. Sucks that there’s two days in between game 1 and 2 cause now we gotta live with this shit show but I hope Nurse corrects a lot of the mistakes with the defensive misreads on the DJ/Vuc PnR, and of course the lineup (Kawhi and Green should be out there way earlier in the 4th). I initially placed a lot of blame on FVV (who I feel should not be running point when Lowry is off) but Nurse has to play a better game. He got out coached hard.

One thing that I also read a bit around here is that Lowry should attack the rim more often if he’s not finding his perimeter stroke. In theory that sounds good, but the Magic have great length and do a solid job closing guys out in those situations, and I think that’s also why he deferred to Siakam and Kawhi for slashing responsibilities.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The on/off on bbref is now available, and the team was significantly better when Lowry was on the court.

Link? I'm on bbref right now and the advanced boxscore only has the following as far as I can see:

Offensive Rating:
FVV 109
KL 46
Defensive Rating:
FVV 113
KL 102
Game Score:
FVV 7.4
KL 0.8
The ball kept moving when he was on the floor. Lowry doesn’t consider himself the second, or even the third option with the starters anymore. He was looking for Kawhi, Siakam, Green, Gasol, and Ibaka. FVV unfortunately plays ISO way too often and doesn’t properly utilize the players around him (he had the starters minus Lowry and was at his worst with them over 5 minutes).

I'm not sure how the argument shifted from "FVV was torched defensively and was the real reason we lost" (already shown not to be true + his defensive rating per 100 possessions was actually better than "Lowry's), to Lowry wasnt awful because he also does this"? Show me how FVV, our backup point guard who only played 26 minutes, lost us the game (particularly due to his awful defense) as you've been suggesting. Even the Raps Republic guy is talking purely offense which has not been the argument so far.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Link? I'm on bbref right now and the advanced boxscore only has the following as far as I can see:

Offensive Rating:
FVV 109
KL 46
Defensive Rating:
FVV 113
KL 102
Game Score:
FVV 7.4
KL 0.8

I'm not sure how the argument shifted from "FVV was torched defensively and was the real reason we lost" (already shown not to be true + his defensive rating per 100 possessions was actually better than "Lowry's), to Lowry wasnt awful because he also does this"? Show me how FVV, our backup point guard who only played 26 minutes, lost us the game (particularly due to his awful defense) as you've been suggesting. Even the Raps Republic guy is talking purely offense which has not been the argument so far.

2018-19 Toronto Raptors On/Off | Basketball-Reference.com
2018-19 Toronto Raptors Team Lineups | Basketball-Reference.com

Scroll to bottom

HCYQEk7

HCYQEk7.png

The Magic went on runs when FVV took over Lowry's minutes with the starters. The Magic were also better when Lowry and FVV were together which should probably be a no-no in this series due to the Magic's length.

Last edited:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Agreed, the 2 PG lineup needs to end. We can get exposed defensively with it. Lowry can play off ball with the starters anyways so we don’t need it to give him a break.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Just heard on the radio - Kawhi only played 33 minutes? When asked, Kawhi said he was good to play more.

Nick Nurse has had a fantastic first year as head coach, but that's not right.

To be fair, the guys on the radio said some of the blame should go to the assistants. It's the sort of thing they can help with when the head coach has a lot of stuff all going on at once.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Just heard on the radio - Kawhi only played 33 minutes? When asked, Kawhi said he was good to play more.

Nick Nurse has had a fantastic first year as head coach, but that's not right.

To be fair, the guys on the radio said some of the blame should go to the assistants. It's the sort of thing they can help with when the head coach has a lot of stuff all going on at once.

I know he was stuck at the scorers table a few times, which may have resulted in less minutes. Realistically though, this team should beat Orlando with Kawhi playing 33 minutes.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I turned on the Bucks/Pistons game last night and noticed the Bucks were just destroying them in the 3rd quarter. It'd be nice to have that confidence in the Raptors to do the same. Instead, even a 20-point lead feels like it is going to be frittered away and the team will have to pull it off in the dying minutes. Let's see them just stomp a team from beginning to finish.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I turned on the Bucks/Pistons game last night and noticed the Bucks were just destroying them in the 3rd quarter. It'd be nice to have that confidence in the Raptors to do the same. Instead, even a 20-point lead feels like it is going to be frittered away and the team will have to pull it off in the dying minutes. Let's see them just stomp a team from beginning to finish.

To be fair those Pistons, who are not a very good team to begin with, were missing their best player.

Reactions: Kurtz

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

The Pistons are actually terrible though. Orlando has been a very good team the 2nd half of the season. That being said, a true contender needs to win these games at home by a fair margin.

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad