Blue Jays GDT: (v5) Next Game: @ Detroit | Wed, Apr 10 | 1pm ET/10am PT | M. Buehrle vs R. Porcello

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Lets split the difference here

- Arencibia strikes out too much
- Arencibia is crushing the ball right now which way more than offsets his strikeouts

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's been every game since he made those comments. Some days there's questionable calls but today strikes were called against the Jays that were not called against the Sox. Low and outside is the best example. The Sox has similar strikeout numbers because they were swining at Happ's devastating changeup.

Fixed

I'm not saying the Ump today had a motive, because in the end, I just don't know. However we know that every ump has a different interpretation of the strikezone, and I believe for the most part that's what we saw today. The right edge was barely being called aswell. Ebs and flows of the season my friend, ebs and flows.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Fixed

I'm not saying the Ump today had a motive, because in the end, I just don't know. However we know that every ump has a different interpretation of the strikezone, and I believe for the most part that's what we saw today. The right edge was barely being called aswell. Ebs and flows of the season my friend, ebs and flows.

Happ was not the only person to pack on the strikeouts today.

We can't know if they have that motive, but we do see correlation between Bautista's comments and poorer calls. Causal link? Maybe, but there is a correlation.

Lets split the difference here

- Arencibia strikes out too much
- Arencibia is crushing the ball right now which way more than offsets his strikeouts

Debates more about the umpires than anything.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wouldn't concern myself with RISP, it is not a predictive stat, and there is no evidence to suggest that hitting with RISP is a repeatable act.

Lawrie and Bautista coming back should help normalize things too.

The way it is now, Reyes, Melky, and Encarnacion sit at the top of the lineup as good hitters (though Edwin is currently the worst BA on the team aside from Lind), so they come up to bat with nobody or few batters on base, and no RISP opportunities. But if they get on, it's only likely to be 1 or 2 cracks to drive them in with a legitimate bat before the RISP opportunities start ending up in the hands of Lind/Rasmus/Izturis (and Arencibia, but at least for the time being he's hot and hitting well)

Once those two are back from injury, the lineup becomes:

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Rasmus
Bonifacio/Itzturis

That's now 5 solid bats at the top of the lineup. So if Reyes and Melky get on, there's now 3 more legit chances to drive them in before the skill level of the hitters drops off. And if Arencibia can at least keep up some of his current hitting pace, he breaks up the Lind/Rasmus out-machine and helps even more with potential RISP (and means that the lineup never has a stretch of more than 2 batters who can't be considered RBI threats)

EscapeGoat

We The North
Mar 27, 2013
The Hockey Mecca

The way it is now, Reyes, Melky, and Encarnacion sit at the top of the lineup as good hitters (though Edwin is currently the worst BA on the team aside from Lind), so they come up to bat with nobody or few batters on base, and no RISP opportunities. But if they get on, it's only likely to be 1 or 2 cracks to drive them in with a legitimate bat before the RISP opportunities start ending up in the hands of Lind/Rasmus/Izturis (and Arencibia, but at least for the time being he's hot and hitting well)

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Rasmus
Bonifacio/Itzturis

That's now 5 solid bats at the top of the lineup. So if Reyes and Melky get on, there's now 3 more legit chances to drive them in before the skill level of the hitters drops off. And if Arencibia can at least keep up some of his current hitting pace, he breaks up the Lind/Rasmus out-machine and helps even more with potential RISP (and means that the lineup never has a stretch of more than 2 batters who can't be considered RBI threats)

Lawrie might not hit 5th. Gibbons might be inclined to split up the righties.

Scion

May 25, 2012

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Rasmus
Bonifacio/Itzturis

Agreed on all points. Any word on when Lawrie will return to the lineup? Last I heard he was expected to get in a minor league game this weekend, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I missed the game, good to see a shutout 2 hitter win. Read through the last thread so I got a feel of what happened thanks to you guys:)

Happ was good, when I saw the shutout 2 Hitter I was expecting an outstanding game from him, he only got into the 6th because of pitch count issues but 0 runs he gave up and that's what we needed.

Arencibia and Rasmussen provided the offends. It worries me that most of our runs are coming off the home run but with our speed I think we'll start scoring other ways too.

Lind finally did something offensively which is nice.

Hope to catch tomorrows game, but the power just went off here:)rant:), it better be back by tomorrow, or say 18 minutes time to catch the Leafs game :rant:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Agreed on all points. Any word on when Lawrie will return to the lineup? Last I heard he was expected to get in a minor league game this weekend, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

I haven't seen anything recently. Last I heard he was supposed to be evaluated this weekend, but that's as far as I know.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Hitting with RISP, man, it's concerning through 5 games. It reminds of another year under Gibby (2006 or 2007) where it was a concern all year. Hopefully we have plenty of good hitters this time around that it won't be a lingering concern for the whole season.

Hitting with RISP is all about luck. Over a long enough sample size there's no difference between the numbers of a player looking at a man on second, or empty bases. The RBIs will come.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Ya Reyes is special. Just wow

Happ over Romero was the right move. Happ is very good

Just get Lind the **** out. I can't stand him

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
batting order guess for sunday

ss reyes
lf cabrera
dh bautista
1b encarnacion
3d derosa
rf davis
cf rasmus
c blanco
2b bonifacio

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
batting order guess for sunday

ss reyes
lf cabrera
dh bautista
1b encarnacion
3d derosa
rf davis
cf rasmus
c blanco
2b bonifacio

I wouldn't be against putting Cabrera in the 5 hole, he's best suited in the 2 but with Lawrie out and Arencibia on the bench as well as Lind struggling we should move Cabrera down and just put him in the 5 hole until Lawrie comes back. Davis looked great today too so may as well keep his bat hot at the top. I'm sorry but I refuse to accept Derosa as the number 5 hitter even with injuries.

SS - Reyes
RF - Davis
DH - Bautista
1B - Encarnacion
LF - Cabrera
3B - Derosa
CF - Rasmus
C - Blanco
2b - Bonifacio

Last edited:

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
can we package lind, buck and tabler for morneau and a commentating robot. i'd 100% do that trade. i mean even though the robot wouldn't pronounce the names correctly it would at least get the player's names correct.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hopefully the boys will give Dickey some run support today en route to his first victory as a Blue Jay.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Bautista out again today

Reyes
Davis
Cabrera
Edwin
Arencibia
DeRosa
Izturis
Blanco
Bonifacio

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
That lineup is absolutely pathetic. 6-9 is laughable, Davis batting 2ndmakes me sick.

Hope dickey gives up nothing or were in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad