Blue Jays GDT: (v5) Next Game: @ Detroit | Wed, Apr 10 | 1pm ET/10am PT | M. Buehrle vs R. Porcello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
SwagDance3.gif:original

^^^

When Bautista gets a bad call against him, he should just do that dance in front of the ump instead of complaining. :laugh:

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
What I've learned in the past 24 hours: don't judge a person's at bat and project for the rest of the season in the first 3 games. Wait for at least 4 games :sarcasm:

Nice game by Rasmus.

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
Looking forward to seeing Dickey with Blanco catching him tomorrow. Bautista looked like he was itching to get into today's game, so I assume he'll be back.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
you may notice that I am keeping track of what iteration of the GDT thread we're on in the thread title.

We're onto our 5th thread now after 5 games. Not quite 1 GDT per game, but impressive nonetheless.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
great game today. Nice to see the jays pitching blank the sox. Bats showed a little life today. Lind had a nice day and added a stolen bag which is hilarious

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Quick thoughts on the game;

- Happ was incredible. Best start by a Jay and it's not even close. Love the decision to keep him up and re-sign him, and he's proving he's valuable.
- Nice to see Lind finally get a hit. Obviously, it gave him some confidence because he stole a freaking base. :laugh: He's been making good contact all year, so hopefully this is the start of a breakout for him.
- Arencibia is on a roll. He saw the ball so well all spring and he's still seeing it very well. Maybe Mottola is really working with him because his vision seems to have improved ten-fold. I haven't seen him make too many bad cuts and he's working counts.
- Delabar is a great addition to the club. Loup is incredible and I wasn't joking when I said he's our best bullpen arm (not including Janssen who is our most consistent arm). Santos looked alright too.
- Reyes is just incredible. There's nothing more that needs to be said about him.
- Rasmus has such a beautiful swing he connects. When he doesn't, it's one of the ugliest swings in baseball. He needs some serious work. Great catch at the end of the game though. And clutch homer.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Quick thoughts on the game;

- Arencibia is on a roll. He saw the ball so well all spring and he's still seeing it very well. Maybe Mottola is really working with him because his vision seems to have improved ten-fold. I haven't seen him make too many bad cuts and he's working counts.
- Rasmus has such a beautiful swing he connects. When he doesn't, it's one of the ugliest swings in baseball. He needs some serious work. Great catch at the end of the game though. And clutch homer.

Arencibia - He's still had plenty of bad swings. 7 strikeouts and 1 walk in 5 games isn't very impressive, but at least he's starting to work the counts a little bit.

Rasmus - Not sure what you mean by one of the ugliest swings in baseball when he misses. Every swing in baseball is ugly when the player doesn't connect.

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
Rasmus - Not sure what you mean by one of the ugliest swings in baseball when he misses. Every swing in baseball is ugly when the player doesn't connect.

When he misses, he misses by a lot. It's all or nothing with his swing right now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hitting with RISP, man, it's concerning through 5 games. It reminds of another year under Gibby (2006 or 2007) where it was a concern all year. Hopefully we have plenty of good hitters this time around that it won't be a lingering concern for the whole season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hitting with RISP, man, it's concerning through 5 games. It reminds of another year under Gibby (2006 or 2007) where it was a concern all year. Hopefully we have plenty of good hitters this time around that it won't be a lingering concern for the whole season.

I don't think it will be .. Keep in mind Bautista and Lawrie are still out, but the quality hitters on this team are much better than the 06-07 team ... They just need some time to get into it, today's game was encouraging

You just get that feeling that the team could explode at any point with the bats, and when they do it'll be awesome

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Happ looked great!

If he can do that on a regular basis he's going to win a ton of games.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Arencibia - He's still had plenty of bad swings. 7 strikeouts and 1 walk in 5 games isn't very impressive, but at least he's starting to work the counts a little bit.

Let's be honest, at least three of those strikeouts shouldn't have been. Both today were not actually strikeouts (First one he had a good at bat, held up on his swing and was rung up, second, all three pitches are outside but all three are strikes). He's a victim of the umpire's vendatta against the Jays after Bau's comments.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Let's be honest, at least three of those strikeouts shouldn't have been. Both today were not actually strikeouts (First one he had a good at bat, held up on his swing and was rung up, second, all three pitches are outside but all three are strikes). He's a victim of the umpire's vendatta against the Jays after Bau's comments.

Let's not go there ok. That's purely speculation. You're going to have some calls go against you some days. I think JP has the ability to think the game at a high enough level to boost his avg to an even .250 atleast, for any given year. He won't be someone who draws base on balls, and the strikeouts will always be there. That's the tradeoff for the power numbers he'll provide.

Scion

May 25, 2012

I wouldn't concern myself with RISP, it is not a predictive stat, and there is no evidence to suggest that hitting with RISP is a repeatable act.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Let's not go there ok. That's purely speculation. You're going to have some calls go against you some days. I think JP has the ability to think the game at a high enough level to boost his avg to an even .250 atleast for any given year. He won't be someone who draws base on balls, and the strikeouts will always be there. That's the tradeoff for the power numbers he'll provide.

It's been every game since he made those comments. Some days there's questionable calls but today strikes were called against the Jays that were not called against the Sox. Low and outside is the best example. The Sox has similar strikeout numbers because they were swining at everythings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->