Raptors Discussion: v32 | The playoff push continues. Trade Deadline on Thursday, Feb 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
pretty quiet deadline, unless there is some sort of backup in the offices

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6s
San Antonio has traded Nando De Colo to the Toronto Raptors for Austin Daye, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Who?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He is like Tony Parker but better

No he isn't.

From ESPN's player profiles:

Scouting report
+ Big combo guard with good court vision and excellent ability to rebound for his position
+ Shot ball well from deep, but made few plays inside the arc and rarely got to the line
+ Too slow to stick with point guards and not physical enough to bother 2s
Analysis
Last season, de Colo became the latest French guard to join the Spurs from overseas, and it didn't take long to figure out that in terms of both production and style, he's no Tony Parker. De Colo's size allows him to swing between both backcourt positions and even log some minutes at 3, but the Spurs struggled with him on the floor. San Antonio was outscored by 10.5 points per 100 possessions with de Colo, and 7.6 points of the hit came on the offensive end. While his ability to collect assists and rebounds makes him a potential box-score stuffer, it's got to be in service of the team's bottom line.
De Colo has a high degree of applied athleticism, meaning he gets steals at a high rate and has an extremely high rebound rate for a guard. However, his game as a rookie was very perimeter-based, and while his size and court vision make him a good playmaking option on offense, his lack of foot speed makes him a defensive liability. He struggled to orchestrate the pick-and-roll, ranking in just the 11th percentile when finishing those plays, per Synergy Sports Technologies. De Colo didn't defend well, often looking slow, and that continued during his summer league performance. De Colo was an old rookie at 25, and this is an important season to determine how much of a role he's going to play in the Spurs' future.

basically he's just backcourt depth. More useful to the team than the little that Daye provided. I wouldn't expect to see him on the court a whole lot though.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
They go to DD because he is the team's leader and it's not even close. As a leader you may have a bad game here or there, but for the most part you're supposed to lead on and off the court. He has matured into the role and has had a terrific year. He missed a game winning shot, it happens. It's one game, we move on to the next one.

Not even close? Kyle Lowry says hi.

I'm not going to be negative Nancy because of one play, leading to one loss. I'm a huge DeRozan fan too....but what bothers me is the fact that in those moments, Casey calls a play for DeRozan, and it seems like, in DeRozan's mind, he HAS to be the one man show and take the shot... Not sure if that's in DD or Casey, but if a shot isn't there, find a teammate.

If you absolutely want DD to take that last shot, why does the ball have to start in his hands in an ISO type situation? Why not call a play where DD gets open off a screen or something?

Casey is an unbelievable defensive coach, and an unbelievable motivator...but if he isn't the coach next year, it can only be for one reason...

91Kadri91*

God damn Sixers are a really dumb organization. Got nothing for Hawes and Turner.

They got two seconds for Hawes, who has an expiring contract, and got a second-round pick for Evan Turner who's not very good, and is an RFA at the end of the year. They also got Mullens, Maynor and a second for absolutely nothing.

I think they did pretty well.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
They got two seconds for Hawes, who has an expiring contract, and got a second-round pick for Evan Turner who's not very good, and is an RFA at the end of the year. They also got Mullens, Maynor and a second for absolutely nothing.

Wait...how's Evan Turner not very good again?

91Kadri91*

Wait...how's Evan Turner not very good again?

He's having his "best year", and he's managing to put up a PER of 13, a WS/48 of .025, an ORtg of 98, a DRtg of 110, and a TS% of .505 .

'Not very good' was putting it nicely; Turner sucks.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

They got Granger. He was the crux of the deal. If he can stay healthy he's a good pickup.

It's a risk.

I agree with you, Evan Turner sucks. Addition by subtraction for the Sixers. Not sure what the Pacers were thinking grabbing him, do they really think Lavoy Allen and Evan Turner is "loading up" for the playoffs?.

Bluejaysfan*

They got Granger. He was the crux of the deal. If he can stay healthy he's a good pickup.

It's a risk.

I agree with you, Evan Turner sucks. Addition by subtraction for the Sixers. Not sure what the Pacers were thinking grabbing him, do they really think Lavoy Allen and Evan Turner is "loading up" for the playoffs?.

It gives them good depth IMO. If they can get Bynum back to playing at his best...Miami is toast. Having Hibbert, West and Bynum down low is going to be too much for the the Heat to handle. Big if though for Bynum to play like he can, hasn't done much of anything the past 2 years.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
Turner and Allen coming off the bench is better than a "shell of his former self" (and likely unhappy) Granger. Plus, with Granger being surpassed by George as the new face of the franchise (and starter), who knows if Granger would re-sign there (I believe he is a FA after this season).

Luckily for the Pacers, they didn't really need to "load up" for the playoffs, since they're already the class of the East (my opinion).

At least the Granger for Turner & Allen swap gives them an extra body. Hard to play a lot of the season with an 8 man rotation and expect to have enough gas left for a big playoff run.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Woulda loved to add Hawes to give us another scoring option and make us stronger down low. The cost wasn't as expensive as I thought it would've been either. Oh well, at least we'll see what we are and how we can improve this off-season.

Looks like Orlando is gonna buy-out Glen Davis. Would love to add him for a playoff run. Looks like the Clippers are a favorite to land him though.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
Hawes would have been a decent pickup but with Val, Amir, PP, Hansbrough & Hayes, not sure where he would've fit in.

Of all the players that were dealt, the one I would've wanted the most is Gary Neal.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Hawes would have been a decent pickup but with Val, Amir, PP, Hansbrough & Hayes, not sure where he would've fit in.

Of all the players that were dealt, the one I would've wanted the most is Gary Neal.
Its no secret our weakness is down low. No offence to any of those guys, but Spencer Hawes at this point is better than all of them.

Val is still young and has a lot to improve upon in all aspects of his game. Too often he is getting outplayed by stronger, more experienced bigs. Amir is not playing like himself this year. Hansbrough is a great energy guy and rebounder, but is a depth big. Hayes is a great lockdown defender, but is weak in every other part of his game. PatPat is the only one really playing well consistently.

Hawes would come in and allow you to bump Patterson back to the second unit, giving you more scoring in the second unit and another scoring option on the starting unit. If Val isn't playing well, which the last few nights he has not, you can go with Hawes at center and Patterson at PF. He just gives you so many more options.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
Adding Hawes defeats the purpose of what this year is essentially all about, which is growth.

Adding Hawes takes minutes away from Val... And let's face it, we're not winning it all this year anyways so let's have some fun watching the young guys we have!

Losing in the first round with Val getting starter minutes is better (IMO) than losing in the second round with Hawes bumping Val to limited minutes.

We are not contenders and adding Spencer Hawes doesn't make us contenders. We're an average team in a pathetic conference, and even more pathetic division. Let the kids play and see what happens! In that sense, I'm glad we made no moves...though I did want to see them add a solid shooting or defensive SG/SF (Gary Neal would've been cool). All just my opinion of course.

Anyone watching the Heat/Thunder game? Been lookin forward to this and am thoroughly disappointed so far!

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Adding Hawes defeats the purpose of what this year is essentially all about, which is growth.

Adding Hawes takes minutes away from Val... And let's face it, we're not winning it all this year anyways so let's have some fun watching the young guys we have!

Losing in the first round with Val getting starter minutes is better (IMO) than losing in the second round with Hawes bumping Val to limited minutes.

We are not contenders and adding Spencer Hawes doesn't make us contenders. We're an average team in a pathetic conference, and even more pathetic division. Let the kids play and see what happens! In that sense, I'm glad we made no moves...though I did want to see them add a solid shooting or defensive SG/SF (Gary Neal would've been cool). All just my opinion of course.

Anyone watching the Heat/Thunder game? Been lookin forward to this and am thoroughly disappointed so far!

Theoretically I would acquire Hawes to play Hansbrough and Amir's minutes with Val.

Of course we're playing out this year to give our young guys their chance and evaluate going forward, but that doesn't mean we
cant make an acquisition and see what happens. Hawes is only 25 and could be a long-term peice.

Lebron just killing the Thunder. Durant very underwhelming head-to-head against Lebron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad